Hi from greyf350

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyf350

Michael
Reaction score
Good evening. I'd like to add to introduce myself. I am new to Australia and will be here two years and just ran across your finds walnliz on YouTube. Nice videos and thanks for sharing. I'm living in Canberra as well and would like to visit Grabben Gullen.

Got a few questions...

1. What are sieves?
2. Is a metal detector a must? I'm sure it will make things a lot easier.
3. Has the detect a den shop opened yet?
Do you have to have a permit to dig?

Sorry for all the questions...thanks

Hey
welcome to the forum

Yet another Canberra member

Sieves are like gold pans with a wire mesh bottom that helps you classify rocks and dirt,usually the mesh ranges from 1/2 inch down to 1/4 inch ,1/8 inch and so on.

Only need a permit to dig in state forests,(nsw)

Detector not that important as you can chase alluvial gold in creeks and rivers by using a much cheaper highbanker and water pump set up.If you have a running creek you can get away with just a sluice.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Appreciate all the useful information. I'm planning on making the trip up there soon and if anyone is interested in a get together let me know.

Welcome to the forum grey, and welcome to Australia. If you're keen on prospecting you've come to the right place. We have some superb gold and gem fields here, and the hobby is a great way to forge some life long friendships.

The basic prospecting gear you will need to get you under way is a set of sieves (classifiers). The two you will need are a 1/4" and a 1/8" sieve, and a gold pan. If you talk to Brad at Detect a Den (Batemans Bay, and soon in Canberra) he has them in stock. I would suggest that if you want to go to Grabben Gullen and any Sapphire areas that your choice of pan be a Garrett Super Sluice.

Look forward to sharing some stories and don't be shy to ask the forum members for advice should you need some. Best of luck with your new adventures.

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal,

Looks like you got me covered on everything I need. How long is the drive to the campsites? And besides Grabben Gullen, is there any luck of find gold in Batemans Bay?

Thanks for the info and the warm welcome.

Latest posts