Night park detecting with the Ace 250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
What a long night, first park I went to was dismal, lots of deep targets, not many pickers near the surface (deep turf). Second park I went to which usually produces some coins, was much better, all be it, with lots of 5 and 10c coins, and the odd goldy, 24 coins in total. To my dismay, I realised that I was missing one of my pinpointers, so had to backtrack to the previous park, hoping it was still there. Had a run around the park with a torch, and luckily manged to locate it! :) Thinking I might have to look at a Whites TRX, with the provided lanyard loop, it should stay put, considering I don't have a very good track record when it comes to losing detecting gear. :/

1394648541_img_20140313_044613.jpg

Goldpick

Have you tried hot melt glue sticks, it sticks to just about anything. I get mine at the $2 shop and use a lighter or candle to melt the end and smear it onto the surfaces to be glued.

If I was to do a lanyard, I would work a decent amount of glue into the straps first, then remelt it to bond to the pinpointer. If you have not used it before I would do a couple of trials on something else first to get the hang of how much heat to apply the get the stuff flowable and super adhesive.

Back to the same park again tonight, this time dodging rain storms, but not a bad run after all that. Lots of 1 & 2c coins, a solitary 5c, 50c, and a decent number of goldies for a change. Also came across two rectangular chunks of lead, no idea what they were used for. Most of the brown buggers are early 60's through to mid 70's, still can't quite latch on to a pre-dec at this location as yet (probably opened in 1966!). :)

1394984946_img_20140317_020523.jpg

Goldpick the grass near tot lots is also productive.

Which machine do you use and whats the deepest
coin you found?

I'm using the Ace 250, and I'm not going too deep, mainly aiming for screwdriver accessible depths, so usually run with the sensitivity back a few notches - running the large DD coil. I did try around the perimeterof the tot lots, and found a couple of coins, but really have to go back and clean the place out properly, have been systematically gridding the area up. I am aiming to upgrade probably to a Sovereign in the future, mainly as it can be used for the beach as well.

I took the Ace 250 back down to the beach tonight, but was presented with a eroded beach totally covered in seaweed, so I packed up and headed north to another beach with significant erosion from the latest bout of rough weather to give it a go. It took a while to get my eye in on this beach, the tide had pretty much run righ up to the sand hills, leaving a nice line of exposed shell grit and stones about halfway down the beach. I followed this for a while, and it started to produce coins, so I did a few runs back and forth to see where the coins were mainly occurring. You could pretty much stick to a narrow route all the way down the beach, flicking coins up every 20-30m, really needed some more time as I could have spent all night there, and would have come up with a decent haul.

Also would have preferred to use the Infinium for increased depth, as the sand was still a bit damp, resulting in the Ace having to run on about 4-5 bars of sensitivity. Unfortunately, the infinium is out of action for now waiting for repairs to the coil plug on the control box.

Coins of interest were a Henry Parkes $1, International year of the volunteer 20c, and a Thai 1Baht. Also picked up 210 grams of lead! Not too much rubbish this time thankfully, all the goldies rung up as nice clear bell tones, and the rest as repeatable, solid single tones. :)

1395082416_img_20140318_052503.jpg

Yeah, wasted a lot of time last night, was going to detect the same park, but a copper pulled over a car right behind where I was parked, and I wasn't too keen on trying to explain what I was up to, in a dark park at midnight! :)

Goldpick said:
Yeah, wasted a lot of time last night, was going to detect the same park, but a copper pulled over a car right behind where I was parked, and I wasn't too keen on trying to explain what I was up to, in a dark park at midnight! :)

Gotta watch out for troublemakers as well.

A Cap with leds is what I use when night detecting.

Pretty ordinary night at the beach again, but had something unusual happen in relation to all the 5c pieces that were found - all 21 of them! All of them were recovered from a section of beach near the high tide mark, but only in an area about 3 metres wide, and no where else up and down the beach. It is amazing how water action of the tides manages to group together similar coins in the one location, and you have to be there at exactly the right time, after a certain amount of erosion has occurred. Come back mext night to the same area, and the tides will have deposited a fresh layer of sand over the previous nights coin layer, whilst possibly exposing another one.

I have found this has happened on a few occasions as of late, especially as we move towards Autumn and Winter with more aggressive wave action exposing the summer's deposited goodies. Half the battle is to survey the beaches to determine whether it may be a producer, sometimes you have no choice but to do a few grids of a beach to see whether any of these "layers" have been exposed. If not, move on to the next beach to have another go. When you are on a winner, you will find multiple coins of varying ages, all groups within a small area, or as I had a couple nights ago, all deposited along a single horizon of the beach, running over a length of a couple of hundred metres.

Om a few occasions, I have found the horizon with coarse gravels, rocks and shell grit to produce, or immediately above this layer. It is frustrating though if you don't have much time, as you can nearly always guarantee that the layer will completely disappear after the next high tide. :)

1395385032_img_20140321_172654.jpg

Friend of mine recently found two holes in bay. One on one side of obstacle the other on opposite side. Water was coming in doing circle & going back out, the amazing thing was last time I spoke to him he had found 3-4 silver rings 3 gold ring and multiple pennies. So this exact pattern has taken not years but decades to create holes. He is still working them.
He always says every day is different & he has been detecting beaches for years. He hopes to keep cleaning it out or till he gets most off it & he said it wont last forever but plans to keep working it while it's giving. These are his holes so I won't go their nor will I state where they are.

Ok interesting.

Your not going to find rings just anywhere.

Generally you need to detect walking out towards
the water Until you find the $2 coins then the penny
should drop and You should see a gutter. Its in this
area you need to detect because its where the heavy
Items lay.

If you found a heap of 5c pieces you were near the
light items So near by you should of found pulltabs
and such and its not Where the rings are. You need
To head out more.

The key here is to walk towards the water on low tide.

Near the dryer sand you should find the lighter items
and The heavy items should be close to the water.
Once you find The $2 coins its near by you should
find the rings if any Are there.

Certainly would, except the 5c coins would be near surface, and the gold rings would have worked their way to the bedrock. :lol:

As water & sand moves around some are buried deep while others are uncover after years sometimes decades. Some are as you say buried down to bedrock but the bedrock is not always under sand. All depends on area, some beaches have deep sand that's worse than bedrock as it continues to sink. Bedrock stops it sinking.
Goldpick gold rings can only have worked to bedrock where bedrock exist.

Where I am detecting, bedrock is pretty shallow in sections due to lack of sand replentishment (bedrock actually outcrops in some areas). As you get through the sand, you encounter shell grit, gravels, cobbles of rock, and grey sands mixed with decaying seaweed and seagrass. I'm yet to detect in the gutters offshore, but presumably there would possibly also be some clays derived from the weathered bedrock. The further north you head, the deeper the sand.

Decided that the beaches weren't producing at the moment, so I decided to head for the hills, looking for a new park to scour. Ended up at an oval with a large tot lot, and larged grassed park area. The tot lot produced a few coins and the charm bracelet pieces, which appear to be silver plated copper, and the parts holding gemstones appear to be silver, whether they are related, who knows. Venturing out onto the grassed area produced a 7.50 gram sterling silver ring, 1923 penny, and a 1961 threepence - my first silver coin at last, and an end to my pre-dec drought! :)

1395508362_img_20140323_033432.jpg

1395508401_img_20140323_033412.jpg

1395508429_img_20140323_033222.jpg

1395508455_img_20140323_033159.jpg

Nice work mate, only takes I've silver to get you finding more. The charms with stones are usually sterling and i know this as I worked at a jeweller. And great ring to find as well

Those silver ball looking things can be expensive. They are of particular type of jewelry bracelet but can't think of name.
Nice find but their should be more better go back, LOL

Latest posts