Hi from Col

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK guys,this is my first post here..been around for a few years..I'll be 77 this year
and have been chasing gold since I was big enough to handle a pan (goldpan that is).
Sunk a shaft in me early days after following a trace up a hill..got about half an oz on top
of a little leader and that was it..done a few years eductor dredging on Goulburn and
Big River back when it was legal ..much better result. Anyway,reason I'm on this thread
is regarding the oldest detector...I purchased a detector in 1966 and I may be wrong but
I am under the opinion that this was one of the first gold detectors sold specifically for
the purpose. It was built by Minrad Electronics of Geelong. I gave it a go on a few
mullock heaps on an old alluvial field near Gundagai,NSW and all I could come up with
was lead from the days when rabbits where generally on the menu. Took it out to where
I got the half oz panning and couldn't get a signal...no ground balancing with this machine
and I was in serpentine country which was very noisy.Didn't have the sense to take it
down to the golden triangle at the time so into the wardrobe it went..and stayed. I
think my next detector was a Whites 5000D or a Goldseeker 15000 about 10 years later..and I've forever after been kicking myself that I didn't stay on the job with the Minrad and stay on the front of gold detecting movement.
I've still got the Minrad Electronic's unit and the paperwork. It is constructed with
plywood coil, metal box and conduit stem. I would like to take some photos and post
here but not sure how to post item. Could anyone advise. Sorry,didn't mean to write
a book.
My names Col and I currently have a Minelab 5000 and have had many of the Minelab
series over the years.

Welcome to the forum Col, and thanks for the great intro. Once that detecting caper is in the blood it's a hard bug to get rid of. Spent a fair bit of time in the old days on the Goulburn myself so a slim chance we may have crossed paths, as was a sociable bunch in those days.

Great to have you on board, and look forward to sharing adventures of the good old days, where only the grass was green and not the radical people with vacuums in their heads.

Best of luck with it,

Cheers Wal.

welcome aboard Col looks like your done your time i bet your going to be a real asset to the forum especially for people asking advice on older series minelabs.

hi col mate it is a treat to hear something about the minrad detector ,i bought one at a garage sale for $5.00 and it has 3 coils but i dont know what battery it takes can you tell me what one it uses ,.thanks terry :lol: :lol:

Latest posts