Hi all, Chris in Victoria here. New to forum.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been interested in trying out prospecting for many years but never got around to taking action.
I went with a friend once years ago but nothing since.
I finally decided to take action, I got my miners licence, started looking at different Minelab detectors but thought it’d be good to maybe join a group that is already going prospecting and learn a little more before buying a detector...maybe hire one for a couple of days.
I was going to go for the Gold Monster but am thinking it may be better to save up and get the Minelab SDC 2300.
I’m not sure how to find a group that goes regularly on this forum yet...but I’ll look around on it and see what I discover.
Looking forward to my first adventure:)

Welcome to PA, Chris - I'm sure you'll find lots here to help you on the way to successful prospecting. Hiring a detector is a good way to begin and will give you a low cost taste of what it's all about. All the better if you can arrange a meet-up in the goldfields with more experienced PA members who can show you the ropes.
Best of luck on your adventures!

Hi Chris
Glad to see one of your first steps was getting a miners right.
If you look under Forums and scroll down towards the end there is an entry for Victorian clubs and associations. Also the Prospectors and Miners Association of Victoria (PMAV) have local groups that meet regularly. Most of these groups have meetings and outings where you could share information about practical prospecting.
Just to put in my six pence worth on detectors, I would suggest saving a bit and looking for a good used PI detector like a 2300 or 5000. You will not be able to blame your detector if you do not find gold. Short term hire would be good, but with longer term hire, it may be less expensive to have just bought and resold if that was ever necessary.
Maybe before you make any decision, check out and go along to a club meeting and seek out other prospector's views. I am sure that you will meet people with experience of either machine or perhaps both. Also try to get out in any organised group outings as there is nothing like learning in the field and having a good mentoring relationship with more experienced prospectors at hand.

Welcome to PA, Chris - I'm sure you'll find lots here to help you on the way to successful prospecting. Hiring a detector is a good way to begin and will give you a low cost taste of what it's all about. All the better if you can arrange a meet-up in the goldfields with more experienced PA members who can show you the ropes.
Best of luck on your adventures!
Thank you, much appreciated!

Hi Chris
Glad to see one of your first steps was getting a miners right.
If you look under Forums and scroll down towards the end there is an entry for Victorian clubs and associations. Also the Prospectors and Miners Association of Victoria (PMAV) have local groups that meet regularly. Most of these groups have meetings and outings where you could share information about practical prospecting.
Just to put in my six pence worth on detectors, I would suggest saving a bit and looking for a good used PI detector like a 2300 or 5000. You will not be able to blame your detector if you do not find gold. Short term hire would be good, but with longer term hire, it may be less expensive to have just bought and resold if that was ever necessary.
Maybe before you make any decision, check out and go along to a club meeting and seek out other prospector's views. I am sure that you will meet people with experience of either machine or perhaps both. Also try to get out in any organised group outings as there is nothing like learning in the field and having a good mentoring relationship with more experienced prospectors at hand.
Thanks for the advice!
Yes I look forward to getting along to a club meeting and an outing...much to learn and it’ll be good to meet experienced people.
Cheers,
Chris

I’ve been interested in trying out prospecting for many years but never got around to taking action.
I finally decided to take action, I got my miners licence, started looking at different Minelab detectors but thought it’d be good to maybe join a group that is already going prospecting and learn a little more before buying a detector...maybe hire one for a couple of days.
I was going to go for the Gold Monster but am thinking it may be better to save up and get the Minelab SDC 2300.
I’m not sure how to find a group that goes regularly on this forum yet...but I’ll look around on it and see what I discover.
Hey there Chris - great to read your post and hear you are local too. Very similar to you have always had an interest but never a real go! If you happen to come across a starters group or ever feel like getting a small group together to learn as we go - I’d be interested!

Thanks
Cara

Welcome Chris, seeing as you're a new chum maybe not only look at detectors, broaden your scope and consider buying a pan, sieve, and shovel as well, and hit the creeks. My bet is that the first gold that you find will be with your gold pan. I have both a detector and a pan and river sluice and on every panning trip, I return with gold, .... however, it's not so when I go on a detecting trip.
Also, Gippsland is closer to Melbourne than the Golden Triangle👍

Add a yabby pump or similar to capers list, along with a snuffer bottle and you are ready to go. Crevicing and learning where else it hides keeps you thinking, is great exercise and productive. A one off hire and no gold for the day might put you off. Good luck.

Latest posts