Any ideas on how to build a shaking table?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use different grades of flour sifters to break my cons down. Trying to get enough gold saved up to purchase some automated equipment.

mk19seabee2003 said:
I use different grades of flour sifters to break my cons down. Trying to get enough gold saved up to purchase some automated equipment.
Ive been using a few different flour sifters as well, cant get the mesh fine enought thought and i find that when a larger piece settles on the table it created a small eddy which blows the smaller again stuff out the end.

Hi everyone this is my first post, just wanna say love your work , always encouraging seeing other peoples builds and with that in mind decided to try and contribute somthing ive had in mind.
Have done a lot of research but am a total noob when it comes to the practical.
Anyway basicly i rekon the shaking motion could be reproduced best by using either, an old reciprocating saw or probably even better a jigsaw, reckon from the research ive done the jigsaw would be pretty bang on the amount of movement with the right amount of 'shunt' at the top of its cycle . Am thinking the table/old mirror with chalkboard paint on rails could work with the jigsaw harnessed underneath if any hands on member could design the brackets or how to fit jigsaw please post or pm me with details would love to build that.

would just like to add u regular guys on here thanks for all the posts,info and banter , really awesome THANKS

@ G0lddigg@, I use the ones you find in the kitchen isle of any chain stores, like our wal-mart. For the fine stuff, I use paper paint funnel strainer. I don't know what the mesh size is but I get the really fine stuff. Don't breathe too heavy around it.

@ Perky, Nice idea, I'm going to have to try it.

i bit the bullet mate and ordered some stuff from the USA, got a garrett classifier, 1/100 mesh screen, snuffer bottles $64 landed not bad. couldn't inf any 100 mesh in aus. cant wait because i'm holding two buckets of cons that i know are loaded with fine fine gold......

G0lddigg@ said:
i bit the bullet mate and ordered some stuff from the USA, got a garrett classifier, 1/100 mesh screen, snuffer bottles $64 landed not bad. couldn't inf any 100 mesh in aus. cant wait because i'm holding two buckets of cons that i know are loaded with fine fine gold......

Hi mate.
I find the fat screens for the frying pan work really well. You can get them from Coles
It's a lot finer than flower screens
I just use a metal 10L bucket that has one of the ring clamps.
Don't think its 100 mesh. But it is finer than 50 mesh. Maybe about 70-80 mesh.
Hope that helps a little.
Cheers Kane

I found this military grade fluor sifter in a surplus store that works wonders. How do you measure mesh size?

I found this piece of window screen that I use to seperate my medium cons with. I have no idea what size it is. Does a pretty good job at classifiing. So far all of my equipment is home made or DIY. The only real equipment I paid for is my pans. I hope to find more gold to pay for better equipment.

Mesh size is measured as follows. 20 mesh screen is 1/20th of an inch opening between the holes. a 4mesh is 1/4 inches between the openings. 100 mesh is 1/100th of an inch between openings. hope this helps

mk19seabee2003 said:
I found this piece of window screen that I use to seperate my medium cons with. I have no idea what size it is. Does a pretty good job at classifiing. So far all of my equipment is home made or DIY. The only real equipment I paid for is my pans. I hope to find more gold to pay for better equipment.

If/when you purchase/make/diy blue bowl concentrator, the window screen will be too large. I tried it last summer, when I first attempted using the blue bowl.

wow im a bit late on this post, heres mine, works pretty well, not going at moment had to borrow some screening mesh for a creeper plant for the mrs, hahaaa
1412460858_shaker_-_copy-optimized.jpg

One issue is, the little bugger gets going that hard it just about shakes the poor old ute to bits :lol: