DIY 3 tray dry blower

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocker assemblies done, except final drilling depending of size of holes needed.
End frames ready for welding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_190117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_190117_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231103_190140_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_190140_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Coming together.
I reckon that's the easy part, will get complicated soon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104_193255_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_193255_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231104_193207_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_193207_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Been a while since ive worked on Libby, life just gets on the way.
Did the motor frame today, some extra steel will need to be aded when i have the motor.
Still waiting on some materials so about to start on the bellows, which I am nervous about.

Attachments

• 20231205_144359.jpg
    19.9 MB · Views: 0
Bin slider and mounts frames done

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210_132108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_132108_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Evening
Slide gates are done, now need to finish riffle deck and trays to locate them before building hopper.
Screenshot_20231213_215414_Gallery.jpg

Happy New Year all,
Finally managed to get some work done on Libby.
been nervous about this part of the job and have been brutally reminded, again why I am a Boilermaker and not a Chippy
Screenshot_20240103_080600_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_080528_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_080528_Gallery.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240103_080544_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_080544_Gallery.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 0
First riffle section together. Trim up and a quick sand and good to go
View attachment 12353

The thing is that I don't think you can be right or wrong with your riffle tray setup. Some will tell you the must have angle, number of riffles, riffle shape etc. When it comes down to it the soil you put through your dryblower is different every time. Sometimes it's dry and dusty, sometimes slightly damp. Sometimes you have sandy loam other times it's like nice garden soil or perhaps sharp or water worn. No setup is going to be spot-on for every occasion. The best you can do is have it adjustable so that you might strike the best option on the day. I think it would even be advantageous to have a second set of trays with a different mesh size because some soil flies down the trays and sometimes it doesn't want to move and will tend to load up the riffles with too much dirt. You just have to suck it and see ;)

The thing is that I don't think you can be right or wrong with your riffle tray setup. Some will tell you the must have angle, number of riffles, riffle shape etc. When it comes down to it the soil you put through your dryblower is different every time. Sometimes it's dry and dusty, sometimes slightly damp. Sometimes you have sandy loam other times it's like nice garden soil or perhaps sharp or water worn. No setup is going to be spot-on for every occasion. The best you can do is have it adjustable so that you might strike the best option on the day. I think it would even be advantageous to have a second set of trays with a different mesh size because some soil flies down the trays and sometimes it doesn't want to move and will tend to load up the riffles with too much dirt. You just have to suck it and see ;)
Thanks Moneybox.
Is a stressful trying to decipher everyone's advice to make sure you get it right, it is the money catcher after all.
I am getting great advice from an ex professional prospector that worked around Meeka and Mount Magnet areas and I will be up around Nullagine, so dirt is different.
Two sets of riffle trays is a great idea.

I don't know where you are located but wherever you are it might pay to do some trial runs before heading a long way from home. Sometimes the simplest things can let you down and even though they might be an easy fix at home anything will cause you pain once out in the bush. If you're close to me I can always load some dirt in for you if I'm about at the time. (it will have gold too)

I don't know where you are located but wherever you are it might pay to do some trial runs before heading a long way from home. Sometimes the simplest things can let you down and even though they might be an easy fix at home anything will cause you pain once out in the bush. If you're close to me I can always load some dirt in for you if I'm about at the time. (it will have gold too)
Morning Moneybox,
Thanks very much for the offer.
Im in Geraldton, so not that far from you. I was planning on trying to test near Yalgoo if I could find someone who will let me. I might take you up on that offer.

Morning Moneybox,
Im curious what size motor did you use on your dry blower?

Morning Moneybox,
Im curious what size motor did you use on your dry blower?
I purchased a Honda GX270 with electric start and 6:1 reduction. It was not cheap but the best I could buy. Keep in mind that I’m running four bellows and trays, a conveyor and wobble shaft. I have a 2400 wide bin with a pendulum style gate shuffling back and forth to supply a measured feed to the trays. Everything is driven from a 5400 long multi ribbed belt.

I purchased a Honda GX270 with electric start and 6:1 reduction. It was not cheap but the best I could buy. Keep in mind that I’m running four bellows and trays, a conveyor and wobble shaft. I have a 2400 wide bin with a pendulum style gate shuffling back and forth to supply a measured feed to the trays. Everything is driven from a 5400 long multi ribbed belt.
Excellent thanks Moneybox. Your videos and posts are a great help.

Latest posts