Walbanker vs Banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys so ive decided i need a highbanker / sluice and want to build one myself as im fairly handy when it come to building stuff.
so i have been doing plenty of reading on here and other places online and have narrowed my choice down to either a walbanker from the plans and specs on here and youtube or building another design i came across called a banjo. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with both units and could give me a comparison. a list of pros and cons for each unit would be great.

Hi Gumshoe,

When I started researching the internet for highbanker build plans I too came up with the Walbanker and the Banjo. I went with the Walbanker and have no regrets. The only advantage I can see with the banjo (having never used it) would be transportation in a smaller car. When it came to the home build the advice from Wal was great and the only real challenge was the bending!

Cheers,

Brad.

Thanx for the advise braddo. I can't seem to find anything on YouTube or anything
Showing the performance of the banjo. But plenty of good info regarding the walbanker, great YouTube vids :) and heaps people saying they are the way to go. But I'd still love to hear from someone who has at least seen a banjo in action or has used one before making a final decision on which of the two units to build. :)

Let the lack of banjo vids compared to walbanker vids do the talking. But if you do go with a Banjo do a vid, I wanna see one. ;) Cheers Balx

There was a forum member only a week or so ago intending to do a banjo build guide and stuff...what happened to that?

The only difference between a banjo and highbanker is the way the water is fed, to my knowledge the banjo got its name because a pan was attached to a length of wood to shovel water from the river to feed the sluice on the bank. it was called a banjo because the wood with pan fitted looked like a banjo. Highbanker wins hands down unless you like hard work. :)

I think you can only use banjo in Qld no pumps up that way so I think if you are in Canberra wal banker is the way to go :)

Varts said:
Bangor pic anyone? :)

Varts, The banjo was a prospecting dish fitted to a 4 foot stick for putting water into the rocker box or sluice. So called because it looked like a musical instrument called a banjo.

It was first used by tin miners then taken up by gold mining.

calala said:
Varts said:
Bangor pic anyone? :)

Varts, The banjo was a prospecting dish fitted to a 4 foot stick for putting water into the rocker box or sluice. So called because it looked like a musical instrument called a banjo.

It was first used by tin miners then taken up by gold mining.

CALALA that's pretty much right !! - here are the dimensions of the BANJO BOX that i posted. It was Phil who wanted to know about "making a banjo"
1386485644_banjo_plans.jpg

casper

gday gumshoe its phil here the banjo ive 2 thirds made is not the same as what casper describes a bit different and should work a treat

Ahhh..thanks for the advise everyone...:) The "banjo" I'm referring to is a homemade highbanker design I've seen plans for on another forum. I think the guy who made the plans calls it a banjo. Anyway so I've decided I'm going to build a walbanker as it is well an truly proven to be a good unit. I'll try to post some pics when I'm done :)

Phill, would love to hear how it goes when your finished. That removable catch tray idea is what attracted me to the "banjo" design. I'd imagine it would reduce your cons greatly. :) Also I found the spray bar design intresting.

Gumshoe said:
Phill, would love to hear how it goes when your finished. That removable catch tray idea is what attracted me to the "banjo" design. I'd imagine it would reduce your cons greatly. :) Also I found the spray bar design intresting.
gday gumshoe i went out with a guy with the same design as im making it ate clay up like nothing and was brilliant works a treat and nothing like you have read catches the lot and it is based off the wetjigger which is not like them old pictures you have seen awesome machine i cant see sluices breaking up clay like nothing hope info helps

phil said:
Gumshoe said:
gday gumshoe i went out with a guy with the same design as im making it ate clay up like nothing and was brilliant works a treat and nothing like you have read catches the lot and it is based off the wetjigger which is not like them old pictures you have seen awesome machine i cant see sluices breaking up clay like nothing hope info helps
and this bloke really knew his stuff he done right before me and i could not believe it cheers

Latest posts