PARK HUNTING STRATEGY

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Ross
Reaction score
I would like to share my park hunting strategy. I am hoping that this will help new comers to coin and relic hunting to improve there finds rate and get more enjoyment from thier new hobby. I am not saying this is the only way to go about it, but i do believe a strategy is required if one wants the best use of there metal detecting time. This is based on coin and relic detectors with some form of notch discrimination and preferably tone and number identification.

The first thing to look at in a park is to see where people congrugated, this changes with what the park is mainly used for. This may include Markets, festivals, picnics, childrens play grounds, motorist stops, over night camp grounds etc. The main thing, does it get good traffic flow now and possibly in the past and was there a need for people to have money in thier pockets? Some parks are not used much now, but in the past they could have been a favourite park. So good research does pay off in this regard.

In order to improve your finds rate it pays to understand how people loss money and jewlery. This changes between Men, Women and children. Example, most men put their change in there pockets, sit in the car and the coins work there way to edge of their pockets and when they jump out of the car the change drops out on the ground. Action, always detect grassy or sandy car park areas. A good way is to talk to people, ask freinds have they lost jewelery before? How did it happen? You will find that there is a pattern there?

The first thing i like to do is concentrate on the high conductors first, i notch out any thing below a $1.00 coin and allow any thing above. I run the detector in a low sensitivity/gain setting this keeps detection depth low for easier and faster target retrieval and allows better target signals to come through and prevents small pieces of rubbish from over loading the detector causing excessive blanking. I like to keep the detection depth low so that all objects respond to the pro pointer allowing easy location and removal of target with screw driver or gasket scraper technique (coin popping). I like to use a slow steady sweep speed, this also allows good target separation. NOTE:Adjust gain of your detector according also to the type of grass in the area.

The reason for this is there is a lot of money to be detected in one and two dollar coins and this also allows most silver jewelry and coins in as well. There is more silver jewelry out there on average then Gold. Why, don't i dig all signals straight up? The reason for this is digging all signals is time consuming, we are going to dig all signals but in a systematic way that allows for more valuable finds in a time frame. Example, Joe Blow starts detecting a park and starts digging all signals, he is getting a few coins, but the junk is slowing him down and he has only covered a little area. Action, John Dowe comes in the park and sweeps through the park and covers all of it and walks away with $100 in one and two dollar coins and a silver ring. John Dowe will be back later to cover Medium and low conductors. Don't forget you are competing out there with other detectorists, make the best of your time. :)

Will continue with LOW and MEDIUM conductors if you require. :)

That is something I will have to remember next time I take the kids to the park and take the detector with me.
Hard bit is watching them while swinging
Cheers for that. A good read.

In grassed areas you may sometimes see a ring depression of slightly different grass. This could have been a kiosk or rotunda or stand of someother kind = hotspot.

Thanks ramjet, the early bird catchers the worm mate. :) Good point Ben, grass types or colour changes are worth keeping an eye out for. XIV, A good method for keeping your kids involved is blanking out everything except 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c,$1 and $2 dollar coins. There is a stack of 5c coins in the ground, they may not interest yourself but the kids love getting them out of the ground and i have got some nice goodies in those coin ranges before. :)

If someone has another method or strategy, it would be good to hear. :)

Roscoe said:
Thanks ramjet, the early bird catchers the worm mate. :) Good point Ben, grass types or colour changes are worth keeping an eye out for. XIV, A good method for keeping your kids involved is blanking out everything except 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c,$1 and $2 dollar coins. There is a stack of 5c coins in the ground, they may not interest yourself but the kids love getting them out of the ground and i have got some nice goodies in those coin ranges before. :)

If someone has another method or strategy, it would be good to hear. :)

One of My 4 year old grandsons loves it. Pulling $1 & $2 coins out of the ground. Plus he gets to spend them :)

Roscoe some great advice there. I spent a few bucks on an old Gregories Sydney directory, whats cool about it apart from showing old parks is it has tram ways on it and circular quay has six wharves sticking into it! Willo

Rosco mate great read bud' iv been thinking of getting a coin detector after Xmas to do the local parks as of next year I'll be a stay home dad and might have a bit more time on my hands, what detector are you using for parks?

What detector are people using for coins?
I'm thinking selling two detectors for a whites MXT any thoughts?

Ramjet, That's the way to go with kids to keep them interested, cherry picking the obvious signals like coins. I let my kids do all the pro-pointing the target for me. The good thing about coin hunting is the kids can play in the park whilst you go detecting. Gets the kids out of mums hair for a few hours and we get our metal detecting fix. :)

Luke, kingsoloman, I am using a CTX3030 at the moment. Before then i used my x-terra 705. The x-terra is very good coin, jewelry detector i still own it for my family to use. The x-terra 705 has easy paid for it self. You don't have to spend lots of money for a good treasure detector. The main reason i bought the CTX was for beach detecting and operating the machine in high Iron and trash invested areas. I will say that this detector excels at this and you can find good targets in amongst very trashy areas where other detectors struggle. In these types of areas i used the 6" coil on the x-terra which helped.

Luke, I have gone away from multi purpose detectors and have slowly gone to specific type detectors. The MXT does sound like a good detector though.

The wet season has started and access to the gold fields is hard, so i go coin and jewelry detecting instead. :)

Roscoe said:
Ramjet, That's the way to go with kids to keep them interested, cherry picking the obvious signals like coins. I let my kids do all the pro-pointing the target for me. The good thing about coin hunting is the kids can play in the park whilst you go detecting. Gets the kids out of mums hair for a few hours and we get our metal detecting fix. :)

Luke, kingsoloman, I am using a CTX3030 at the moment. Before then i used my x-terra 705. The x-terra is very good coin, jewelry detector i still own it for my family to use. The x-terra 705 has easy paid for it self. You don't have to spend lots of money for a good treasure detector. The main reason i bought the CTX was for beach detecting and operating the machine in high Iron and trash invested areas. I will say that this detector excels at this and you can find good targets in amongst very trashy areas where other detectors struggle. In these types of areas i used the 6" coil on the x-terra which helped.

Luke, I have gone away from multi purpose detectors and have slowly gone to specific type detectors. The MXT does sound like a good detector though.

The wet season has started and access to the gold fields is hard, so i go coin and jewelry detecting instead. :)

Hey Roscoe
Good post, do you mind if I use some of this info for our club newsletter "Townsville Metal Detecting Club" as I do the newsletter, I have just added a page for this exact thing so thanks.

Wet season started?? where are you based mate???
cheers
Lee

Awsum thanks roscoe great post by the way.
Iv never tried detecting in parks but with a kid on the way it's the best option for me ATM
I was thinking a MXT only because iv had such a great run with whites detectors and put a lot of trust in them in my eyes high confidence in a machine makes you stay that little bit longer each day that will pay off in the end.

Lee, I am in cooktown mate, Your welcome to use any of this info and i hope it helps your club members out. :)

Luke, I down loaded the MXT manual it sounds good and it also has vsat for prospecting mode. The MXT PRO can use ID tones in the prospecting mode as well. from what i have read on the net its a bug in the MXT systems, whites knows about it, but left it in there because people liked it. This tone ID in prospecting mode would be very handy in relic hunting and beach hunting. :)

Roscoe, your park hunting strategy is very interesting. I guess I dig every signal because I still really haven't mastered the art of signal distinction. I have a Garrett scorpion - soon to attack the yellow with an ATX - that's hard to distinguish. But I'm hoping that'll change with the ATX.
Thanks for the ideas.

Latest posts