Show us your Gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1358943614_sapphires.jpg

A good day on the Sapphires and Zircons at Grabben Gullen Creek near Crookwell.

Very nice Wal, some amazing colour there. I'm becoming increasingly more interested in gemstones.

If ever your hi banking in creeks such as Grabben Gullen....Little river.....Macfersons creek....Tumbarumba ck ...then these are a common bi product. These areas are mostly in southern NSW and getting a few cutters a day is not uncommon. Some of the better stones are upwards of 15 cts and often are worth more than the gold take......plus the women seem to like them...lol.

Hi HTY....the average cutters from Grabben Gullen ck are usually around the 5 to 8 ct mark and cut stones around the 2 to 4 ct mark.You get quite a few large .."bombs " or opaque sapphires with many over 100cts.....pity those are not clear.

Hi Jenny...can make a pleasant change from swinging a detector around in 30 deg heat during summer. Can sit in the water with a big hat swirling around a couple if sieves and sipping on a cold tinnie....It's not a bad way to pass the time.....I call it stress relief.

hi WalnLiz what a great lot of gems another good post by you people i m sure your going to impress members here if you keep putting post s up like that
cheers Terry

Hi Terry.....Be good to encourage some of the members who may not necessarily be real close to a gold field to have a go at some of the more precious gemstones this great country has to offer. There's a big variety of gems covering an extensive area of land and they are not that difficult to extract. Surprising how much fun one can have.... and finding a good sapphire can be as rewarding as finding a big nugget....Cheers Wal.

walnliz what a great stone in the rough looking forward to seeing it once it has been cut cheers Terry

Love the photo's of the saphs - look forward to seeing the cut stones.

Latest posts