Beach Detecting Etiquette

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavfromoz

Gav
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. When looking at conducting detecting on a beach, are there any do's and don't? I've noticed two guys each armed with their detectors (on Bondi Beach) and they actually came to screaming at each other, each one claiming that they had been detecting on that beach for years and had the right to it.

What's the unwritten rules about this? Anyone????

No different to any other place id say.
The Hungry ones lay claim to it all but at the
end of the day i would imagine its a respectful
thing that you and one or 20 others stay clear of
each other and get on with the hobby we are all
addicted too.
1st there would obvisously have pick of the mill.
Thats my way of understanding it. :D

Just be aware that some councils have leased the right to detect some beaches to individuals. I believe that Bondi is one of them. The guy claiming he had rights to the beach may have a point if this is the case. It may pay to just give the local council a call before you get into an argument or detect a new beach that you have not been to before.

Regards

Richard.

Would take days to detect even a small part of beach properly, it's a public place. I'd say 50 metres apart would be fair. Some people are just plain greedy. Anyway I would not be getting into a punch up over a few crusty coins. :)

In my opinion the first person on the scene gets first preference, but it should never be a case of "this is my beach". If I see someone detecting up one end of the beach, I'll usually go and start at the other end out of courtesy.

I did have an old bloke (detectorist) walk over and ask how I went and to tell me that he was leaving, only to turn the detector back on and start swinging directly in my path, I said "hey, I thought you were leaving?" and then he was like "Yeah, just thought I'd have a quick look around here on my way through" :mad:

People like that are either arrogant or simply lacking interpersonal skills. My advice is to find a spot away from other detectorists and if challenged walk away, as Heatho said its not worth getting into a punch up over a few crusty coins.

The other option would be to get 50 or so Prospecting Australia members to all go down to that beach armed with detectors and show them who's boss (joking of course :lol:).

Thanks guys, lol I love the "fly the flag" bit Nugget. I tend to agree with everyone, no amount of "treasure" is worth putting your safety on the line. Courtesy and a logical approach never hurt anyone.

I've actually walked off the beach twice during night hunts out of fear for my safety. On one particular evening I was being harassed by two giant drunk blokes who even followed me to my car. I thought they were going to take my detector but lucky I was able to get back to my car quick enough for a fast get away.

Another night I was being sussed out by a large group of teens, I didn't feel comfortable so I just packed up and left. It shits me that I have to do that but I do like the thought of making it home to my family alive.

To be honest, I don't think I've been night detecting since the drunk guys incident, it's just doesn't seem worth it to me anymore.

Goldfield detecting etiquette is also an issue. The unwritten rule is about 250m apart due to interference. Does not always apply and there are a few (minority) who shrug their shoulders and use the 'its crown land - I'll go where I want'. When the DSE in Vic do a burn off on the fields - it gets so busy its like Xmas time in the carpark at shopping centres. Saw some great hissy-fits at Tarnagulla a year or so ago after a burn-off, people everywhere over a very small area. Plus there is one guy who drives around near Dunolly trying to throw people of his 'claims' on Crown Land. He has bluffed a few first timers and interstaters. Gold can be an evil mistress.

Isn't it a real pity that although we have the most beautiful country in the world, we still have some idiots who will do their utmost to spoil things for everyone else. It's definitely not advisable to try detecting or fossicking on your own as there are just too many cowards around, who would do absolutely anything to prey on isolated individuals.

Being from a law enforcement background, I've seen too many of these chance-assaults. Thank goodness we have forums and clubs such as this one, where good, genuine and like-minded people can go out in a small group and have each other's backs and, of course, provide support and great company.

I feel it's so important never to go it alone (as with rock fishing etc) but if you do, I think a personal EPIRB should be considered. Nothing worse than suffering a serious injury or snake bite while on your own, miles from the nearest point of help or being in a non-signal area. (Just a thought)

Spot on Gav. But its also a little smart to carry basic 1st aid stuff.
When im on my own in a beach or people close by environment im never
alone so to speak.
Its wrong to think like this but necessity to survive.
Our backgrounds are similar

'G'day mate, most definitely. The good old self preservation, it's timeless and important. I must say I would prefer to be with someone, I guess not having someone around when you shout "look at what I've just found" would kill me lol.

Haha. Im out on my own 95% of the time.
My first aid kit has gloves, a whistle, steri strips, band aids
Bandage and super glue :)
I dont worry about showing what ive found until
im home. Then its a big look what i found. Lol

Latest posts