GP Extreme Ground Balance Button-How to guide.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I went out the other day with the Extreme but found it a bit awkward ground balancing on the fly, so yesterday I decided to do the mod myself.

Here's a Jaycar parts list:
1 x 3.5mm mono to mono plug lead, part number WA7006
1 x 3.5mm panel mount mono socket p/n PS0120
1 x switch (push on push again off) p/n SP0704
Grand total of $12.35.

Step 1. Remove the 6 screws in the face plate.

Step 2. Gently remove the end cap and pull it away from the control box, carefully teasing out the wires.

Step 3. Remove the fixed/tracking toggle switch by undoing the retaining nut on the face plate and remove the switch, pull the heat shrink back along the wires, this can be used when the socket is installed.
1440305039_20150822_124542.jpg

Step 4. Unsolder the wires off the 2 terminals and keep the switch, this can be used to unmodify it should you wish to sell the machine ;)

Step 5. Resolder the wires onto the 2 terminals on the mono socket and insert it where the fixed/tracking switch was, this saves drilling holes in the face plate.
It doesn't matter which way the wires go on the socket, all it does is make a connection when the button is pressed. Pull the heat shrink back over the terminals.
You will have this:
1440307964_20150823_150022.jpg

and replace the end cap and screws.

Now its time to modify the handle.

Step 1. Drill a 15mm hole on the end of the handle, then remove approx 15mm of the plastic along the handle so the switch fits, a hack saw will do this fine.

Step 2. I made a channel along the handle to run the wire down from the switch to the control panel.
1440305917_20150822_181746.jpg

Step 3. Connect the plug into the socket on the c/p and run it to the handle, I put it where the screws hold the handle to the shaft, there's enough room and it looks neat and tidy, run it along the handle to the switch, cut and solder to the 2 terminals, again, it doesn't matter which way round they are soldered.

Step 4. Replace hand grip and plug in to the c/p.
You will end up with this:
1440306309_20150822_181915.jpg

1440306375_20150822_181606.jpg

Push to ground balance or in tracking mode, and push again to use in fixed mode.

I hope this tutorial will help others upgrade their sd/gp series detector.

The whole process took me about an hour and I have no soldering skills at all :(

Cheers,
Paul

ps. Sorry about some pics being upside down, I had to do this on my phone.

Capertee gold said:
I'm so doing this just bloody brilliant cheers Paul

Its a good cheap mod, making it so much easier to ground balance the machine without taking your eyes off the coil or where your going. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
I took it to our local fossicking area and it made things so easy.
Cheers.
Paul

hi all ,
I got the chance to try out the gp3000 after doing the ground balance mod ( button on the handle) and have to say it works a treat ,no more fumbling for the switch ,and more importantly , balancing more often cos you can.

I chose to retain the tracking toggle switch, drill a hole and use a momentary button from jaycar , don't know how well the button will last , not up to the minelab quality but easy enough to replace if it stuffs up . The socket didn't have enough thread to use the nut but the hole was a neat fit and I used a dob of superglue (good thick plastic on the end covers) If you use a metal socket remember to trim back the silver foil so it doesn't contact.

thanks Brett

Well bought all the components from jaycar to do this mod ,and it doesn't seem to hard ,only one things got me stuffed the push on push off button has 4 solder tabs so whigh ones do I use the top 2 longer ones or the bottom 2 shorter ones or the opposite ones long one and short one directly below it ,,,, some more help would be apprenticed Paul or a pic
Cheers mark

Capertee gold said:
Well bought all the components from jaycar to do this mod ,and it doesn't seem to hard ,only one things got me stuffed the push on push off button has 4 solder tabs so whigh ones do I use the top 2 longer ones or the bottom 2 shorter ones or the opposite ones long one and short one directly below it ,,,, some more help would be apprenticed Paul or a pic
Cheers mark

Hi Mark,
The 2 smaller tabs are to illuminate the button, don't use these ones, just the 2 bigger ones, I just tried taking another pic of it but can't get it to show properly.

Hope this helps.
Beat regards,
Paul

If you have a multi meter, put it in continuity test and put the prongs on each tab while pressing the button, when its pressed in the multimeter should beep showing you the right connections, but if you don't, its the bigger tabs.

paul_mac1 said:
mbasko said:
Usually you would use a momentary on/off button & they should have only 2 x tabs.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Electromec...P67-Rated-Dome-Pushbutton-Switch-Red/p/SP0657

I chose the push on push again off button, as I replaced the toggle switch to save drilling the control panel and so I can still use it in tracking if I wanted/needed to.
It works well, I took it out again today, and its so easy to ground balance now.
Cheers,
Paul
:8 aah yeah - for some reason I was thinking Capertee was keeping the switch like bbrook.
Good mod to do regardless of how you do it. I think I would leave the switch as a "Plan B" though.

Capertee gold said:
My GP is already level 3 moded by woodsy anyway so this mod will be a God send

How did you go with the mod?
So can you say its level 4 modded now? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Paul

Well that didn't go to well ,switch in the handle all fine
De soldered tracking switch all fine
Went to solder on the 3.5 mm mono socket and BAM the the soldering pin snapped off the dam thing
So now on hold till i can get another one from Jay car
:mad:

Yes the quality is not real good these days ,the jacks , sockets and switches are all pretty flimsy , especially in the small ones . I would happily pay twice the price for a sturdier product .
Switchcraft is a good brand but hard to find . Better quality 1/4 inch jacks and sockets can be found at bigger shops that sell musical instruments but I don't know if they have the little ones .

also check the length of the 'snout 'on the socket so there is enough to screw the nut on ,the end covers are thicker than the metal panel they are designed for

The trick is a hot iron and be quick .Make sure you tin the pin and wire first

thanks Brett

Bugger, jaycar should swap it, surely.
I didnt have any problems with the length of the thread, got a couple of turns with a pair of pliers.

Take your time, it will be worth it.

cheers,
Paul

Latest posts