Question about Etiquette

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5415

Phil
Reaction score
I'm new to the hobby and only been out a couple of times, but now I'm in to it, bought all my gear, attended training courses, made up my folder of knowledge, which is getting bigger everyday etc.

After all a big part of what I like about this hobby is the desk top work you can do that builds the anticipation of your next outing, then being out in the bush, does it get any better?

I'm assuming that we all do similar research, follow the same clues left by the people that came before us, use this forum to ask the questions to point us in the right direction to learn a bit more, download maps and journals, buy maps, read up on geology, go to Google maps etc. to work out a cunning plan to relieve mother earth of her valuables.

I've got a basic question?

So what do you do when you plan, scheme and beg to get out in the bush only to arrive and someone else is there?

What's the etiquette? Obviously first in best dressed but how would you handle that?

I'm the same. If somebody's already there i go somewhere else. Sometimes only a few hundred metres away but i would always check that they are fine with that first if it was that close. I was detecting on Sunday last, head down, bum up with headphones on, i'd parked, and there were no other cars around and about an hour in i looked up and saw another bloke detecting. I called out, got his attention and then walked over to say hello, he was about 50 metres away. I said hello and that i hadn't seen his car, he was parked on another track and it just happened we were detecting the same slope. We had a chat, and i said i was going back to it and asked if he was cool with that and he was, so all was good.
I think the main thing Filthy is to not crash in on an area people are obviously working without at least saying hello and asking first.
But in the end it's just as easy to drive a k or so away and take the pressure off yourself and the other person detecting.

I always go up and have a chat, see how they are doing. Most other people I have come across dont mind a bit of a chat. I then move on down the road a little.

Once I was out in the middle of the bush detecting and then someone else came up from the opposite direction doing the same thing. Quick chat then we both turned around and went back in the direction we came from.

Good question Filthyphil ..... have occasionally arrived at a spot to see someone already detecting the area ......
if close by I usually try to get their attention and if they're up for it have a bit of a chat, if no one is in sight just drive on and detect somewhere else.
Occasionally others approach me when it happens to them, I have no problem stopping for a chat, exchange info on finds and then get back to it ...... the goldfields are huge, plenty of room for everyone.
Cheers T.

Always a poop after a spot has been sought on maps before leaving for the trip to get there and find someone else in the spot. I usually ask how they are and how's their finds have been if they want to share, and then head to destination #2. Always have at least 3 spots ready before arriving to an area.

I've dug next to people in the creek and panned no problems, but I'd only take my box down there too if they didn't mind. Some people prefer the tranquility

I look at it this was I just move on to another area well away from that you can always return to that spot another time. One thing to remember is what detectors were they using what coils how good of operators were they so its worth returning at another time and having a good look regards john :)

Your on a spot and finding a few pieces, come back at sun up next morning and the bunch that drove past watching you are on your patch !! Not nice , no use having a friendly chat with them.

You will find however beach detecting etiquette is non existent in some areas. You will get some people that nearly want a punch up over who owns a beach , or you will get people a 100 metres away rush down your end of the beach and try do it all before u get there lol . I just laugh watching them go a hundred mile an hour missing more than they find. Ill even just dig heaps of holes and put imaginary finds in my bag just to pee them off :)

I think that says a lot about the mentality of many people GaryO. While we all (i'm talking about hobby detecting) want to find something, be it gold or treasures, for most i reckon it's done for the fun of the search. Unfortunately for others (and generally the ones without etiquette) it just comes down to seeing $ signs.

Nothing worse that when you get a good signal and just as you are starting to dig, a car comes past and stops to see what you are getting. I always pretend its hot rocks, shake my head in frustration, scrape dirt back and start moving away. As soon as car is out of sight, race back to continue digging!

On the flip side it can sometimes work out for the best. Last Sunday when I went to a new area I noticed a spot on the way in that looked promising for the SDC but as I had just pick up my new NF 17"x13" and had planned on playing with that and the GPX for most of the day I decided I would come back to this spot if the ground was to hot for the GPX. As it turned out I spent most of the day with the GPX with no luck decided to head to that spot on the way in for a couple of hours with SDC.

When I arrived I found a couple of blokes working the area. Feeling a little frustrated and the day quickly disappearing I turned around and headed back to another area that I had seen while do some recon of the area earlier in the day but thought it really didn't look promising.. Low and behold a short time later I had 7 nice small nuggets all found within throwing distance from the car.

So every now and then things just happen for a reason!

Here's another scenario, I drive slowly up to my first pick, sorry for the pun :) , and someone else is on site head down, I don't want to disturb them so I move on to my second choice for the day, having had no luck, the next day I move back to my first choice and there is nobody around, I pull up and start setting up and just as i start working the mob from yesterday turns up?

Should I ask them can I stay or do they want me to move on, or is it my location now?

or should I give the spot a wide berth until my next outing?

I've been prospecting since a young boy and can honestly say that most prospectors are a fairly happy bunch who love to discuss any type of crap about the one that got away over a beer or cuppa. In your situation I would go and say hello.
BUT in saying that I will tell all about my experience last weekend.
I have a spot in the Blackwood area that I dig at, and leave a chair, bucket, shovel and sometimes my tent at. I'm usually not far away and the locals and rangers all know where it is.
I drove to my spot on Saturday and a white 4wd with white canopy and silver bulbar was parked there. As I unpacked a few things the car drove past and a chap waved so I waved back. I noticed he had thrown all his rubbish out on the side of the road. I walked in to the bush to where I am starting a new hole and found detector holes all though my diggings and my shovel and divining rods stolen. My anger levels went through the roof when I saw this bloke had even had a crap on top of the new shaft. I immediately drove to the two local towns and put the word out at the pubs.

Devonian said:
I've been prospecting since a young boy and can honestly say that most prospectors are a fairly happy bunch who love to discuss any type of crap about the one that got away over a beer or cuppa. In your situation I would go and say hello.
BUT in saying that I will tell all about my experience last weekend.
I have a spot in the Blackwood area that I dig at, and leave a chair, bucket, shovel and sometimes my tent at. I'm usually not far away and the locals and rangers all know where it is.
I drove to my spot on Saturday and a white 4wd with white canopy and silver bulbar was parked there. As I unpacked a few things the car drove past and a chap waved so I waved back. I noticed he had thrown all his rubbish out on the side of the road. I walked in to the bush to where I am starting a new hole and found detector holes all though my diggings and my shovel and divining rods stolen. My anger levels went through the roof when I saw this bloke had even had a crap on top of the new shaft. I immediately drove to the two local towns and put the word out at the pubs.

And they said that sonic boom heard in Australia was from a meteor....

That's unbelievable, what an a hole, I always leave the place I visit in better condition than I found it, last Sunday near Maryborough, spent a fair bit of time filling other peoples scratchings and holes, after I gave them the once over of course ;)

That wasn't directed at you Phil and yes Sniffy the ground did shake a touch from the boom as I kicked the doors open to three local pubs asking who the owner of this car is. As I was called away to a funeral only to return to that, you can only imagine my frustration. I was planning on going full time bush for a few months this spring with a bush camp on solar "the works", but now don't know what to do? Could I duck into town to grab a meal? Go have a beer and chat with mates at the pub? Without my belongings being stolen?

Edited by Admin: Public threats are really not a good way to start as a new member of the forum. I have edited them out of your posts as they offer nothing positive to the forum or it's members.

Latest posts