Garrett to rival Minelab's GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard across the grapevine and then confirmed from a reliable source, that Garrett will be releasing a new detector this coming August, September that will rival Minelab's GPX5000, the only other info I have for you at the moment is that it will be fully submersible.

I'll keep you updated as more info comes to light.

Update: Please see this post https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=25066#p25066

Cheers,
Nugget

Shame it's only going to rival and not take it to a new level. Hopefully it will be a lot cheaper to send a wake-up call the the opposition!

R_G_Bargy said:
Shame it's only going to rival and not take it to a new level. Hopefully it will be a lot cheaper to send a wake-up call the the opposition!

Rival means to equal or surpass, so lets hope its the latter :D

Based on previous pricing I would say it's going to be cheaper than the current contender, but I can't say this for sure.

P.S. Welcome to the forum RGB.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks Nugget. You are right in rival means to better your opponent but, I'd like to see a more confident words like.....surpass or superior! :) Bring it on, it's what I need to get inspired again and get out swinging.

I'm not game enough to commit a more confident word until I see the goods with my own eyes :lol:

Decisions -decisions ? havn't got mine yet but keen to find out more on the Pulse Devil everybody is talking about !
Can anyone tell me whats happening there ? great forum you guys and glad to be a part of it .
Cheers Colin.

WOW, Thanks for the heads Nugget. I was already checking Ebay for possible additions to my detector toolkit. I love my Scorpian but was intending to buy a cheap MLab. So now I'll be waiting to see what the new offering is like. Keep us all posted. Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up Nugget.

I'm in the market for a Whites TDI pro (as I cant afford/justify the GPX5000) so maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer now and check out the Garrett offering..

A detector that can rival the GPX5000, be waterproof and cheaper than the GPX would certainly be on my shopping list.

Cheers James

The last time I think Garrett were on top was back in the 80's with the A2B and deepseeker. I would hate to see an American made detector surpass an aussie made detector but if it's going to bring the price down, go for it. :) Mick

Waterproof too, mmmmmmm now if I could only squeeze into my wetsuit now :lol:
Cheers
Brad...

Its unfortunate the Minelab/Codan have set the price of their products out of reach for the average fossicker.. Sure the GPX5000 is the worlds best gold detector, but that alone doesnt justify its price tag.
I was always under the impression that Minelab products were designed and manufactured in South Australia, and that sort of justified the high price tag, so I was unimpressed when I received my X-terra 705 only to find it was made in Malaysia. :eek:

If Garrett comes out with a killer machine that rivals the GPX5000 AND it starts to take sales away from Minelab, then I'm sure the price of the GPX5000 will drop quick smart..and that would be great news. :)

goldbug said:
If Garrett comes out with a killer machine that rivals the GPX5000 AND it starts to take sales away from Minelab, then I'm sure the price of the GPX5000 will drop quick smart..and that would be great news. :)

Thats normally how competition works in the business world, we can only hope! :)

Just had a response from someone at Garrett myself, who said it would be out in the next "few months". As I said I was thinking of purchasing a GPX, he suggested I hold tight, and wait for the new specs to see if it was what would suit my needs.

I'll be hanging on now for the new Garrett. And if it's better value, then no amount of discount will tear me away from the Garrett machines.

Of course everything is confidential so this contact didn't let anything out of the bag, but gave me just enough to make me hold my dollars for a bit longer. Hope this helps too. Daz.

Whites are also expected to release their TDI replacement towards the end of the year. The design specs are very nice.

Latest posts