Zorgs Xterra 705 finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up my first detector last week! Wife is rolling the eyes already and laughing at the interest my first find was .......over the back fence along the creek for 90 cents.

Since I'm hooked thought I'd start a thread and I'd appreciate any advice along the way.

I'm running the 10X5 DD 'gold pack' head and in coin mode. I auto ground balance and use either the AM or Preset 1 mode without any changes as of yet. Preset 1 helped me to miss some of the smaller targets which I reckon were .22 casings and who knows what else after playing around.

This was my second time out. Spent about 2-2.5 hrs out getting used to it, luckily enough there was something to find!

I did go up on a big mound and found some casings there but the detector beeped and jumped all over the place and I had a hard time pin pointing. I gather there was a lot of metal in there. No idea how to compensate for that or just have to put up with it due to site composition.

.22, 9mm, .303 shells and a couple of mashed projectiles. One of the .303's had either 616 or 919 stamped on the bottom which rings a bell but I can't remember what unless I'm thinking of the M1919? Bottom left looks like some kind of insulated retainer hook.

1437473017_21_07_15_compressed.jpg

Hey Z,... it's a start, have a troll through my thread if you like and see if you can sift out a few hints,... nothing like the same detector, but hey,... you never know if there is something to learn for you in there. there are a few different pages to the thread as well.
just click on the link below and it will take you there. :)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5295&p=1

I dont know wether to advise using pattern 1, which is just iron I think, or go AM, and hear everything. Go AM, and bump your sensitivity down to 18, or 20. That will cure alot of noise, swing the detector slow, and low :) If you use any of the descrimination patterns, then the detector will blank on what its discriminating. That blanking can overlap on the "good" signals, and degrades them somewhat (makes them go choppy). If you persist with AM, then your getting a better picture of whats in the ground. Use headphones, they do a better job than the speaker....but dont rush out and buy the best, you may have something at home good enough.

TheSilentBugler said:
Yeah, proudly display the spoils of my adventure.

"oh, did you cover petrol this time?"

Don't worry mate the time will come when you find something nice and she won't take her eyes off it, lol.

Heatho said:
Geez, the rolling eyes, why do all wives and girlfriends do that to a bloke, sure annoys me. :)

I one of the lucky ones. Mrs Ramjet always aska how the hunt wasand will even come with me and sit in the car or pi nice table and read or watch Netflix or listen to music. She still thinks I'm crazy tho. :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Detector lives in my work van now so I use it at any chance. Lots of garbage but that's cool, it's like fishing. Sticking to all metal mode now and digging everything in the positive numbers, don't want to miss out on anything.

Tried closer to city today as I'd like to get a pre decimal....bits of old things but no luck yet.

1438333403_various_1.jpg

1438333419_trash_1.jpg

From the looks of what you are finding Zorgs you just need to stand in the right spot now.

Took me ages to find my first pre-decimal, was quite frustrating to start off with, though it became a lot easier after doing some research on the history of local areas. That in itself may discount some parks, whilst highlighting others that could have potential. Something as simple as checking out the age of houses in the street can give you an indication what to expect from adjacent parks.

Also be careful in some parks, a few I have found around the place have been top dressed with fill, despite being in older areas - same case with some sporting venues. Even had a few parks that were converted from old industrial sites, these are usually laden with all sorts of junk, sometimes a ridiculous amount.

Keeping an eye on the age of coins during detecting can also be a good indicator. Start getting lots of early decimal coins dating to the early 1960's, specially 1c & 2c coins since they are more common, and you are in with a chance. Good luck. :)

Definitely been doing my research recently and taking everything on board. Had about an hr to check this new park out, nothing much but old scrap around the middle and 200mm down which tells me it may be filled. Headed back to the car and thought I'll only dig a consistent target and sweep quickly as I couldn't be late to pick up daughter. Got a good 40-42 and thought this is the last one.....and what do you know;

silver said:
you just need to stand in the right spot now.
1438402605_fisrt_florin.jpg

Well done Zorgs, couldn't have started off your pre-dec collection with a better find. Bet there were a few cheers when that came out of the hole. ;)

Latest posts