Your other half?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO (the missus) 'tolerates' me digging holes in the ground and extracting coins, ring pulls, bottle tops, junk etc etc etc.

The agreement is that WHEN I find/collect enough gold to make her some jewellery she will be A LOT MORE HAPPY with this hobby.

Trouble is.....will it stop?

I have two metal detectors and she will eventually 'come for a swing,' one day.........

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers Monty.

Spud said:
girls week(end) sounds awesome!

i'm thinking of buying a detector for hubby so he can do that, he might enjoy it more then panning.
i also asked him if we could get a high-banker the other day...he looked at me like i had 2 heads haha.

i'm lucky that he is big into all his camping, fishing 4x4 and stuff so hopefully i can alter the locations for these activities for my benefit. i def want him to get into the hobby as well though.

Lambi, we may have to do a Canberra trip soon, maybe if he meets blokes that are into the hobby i might be able to sway him!

Hi Spud,

Weekend some where would be great, my missus is keen. Were pretty busy during winter with kids netball and rugby, plus the triton is having some additions added to it for the great outdoors.
We are happy to travel anywhere too, so open to suggestions.

I got no 1/2's only me living the dream

1403077501_-i338_photobucket_com-albums-n409-smoothvibes-smiley-smiley_beer.jpg

Hi Spud

I'm very lucky in that my girlfriend loves fosicking as much as I do :D and she is not frightened of a shovel which does come in handy.. she is big on detecting as well but I hav not done much..
good luck :)
cheers Tim

Piep said:
I am soooo in favor of a girls week(end)!

I think my husband tolerates it because it makes me happy, and it's outside, and taking us to obscure locations. I don't think he was very interested at all, but he found gold in his pan last week and that may have swayed his opinion a bit.

I m in

perhaps somewhere like Clermont, Central Qld. Then go to gemfields.

My wife is against me doing anything remotely fun.
She has already told me that when she finishes her contract at work and follows my up here to central qld, all my prospecting gear is to be sold off, and my spare time spent chained down at home.

My Partner laughed at me when I bought my first detector 1yr ago, ever since she had her first go and found a coin she has been hooked on it ever since, now we go out twice a week together searching for coins and relics lol :cool:

BrisJoe said:
She has already told me that when she finishes her contract at work and follows my up here to central qld, all my prospecting gear is to be sold off, and my spare time spent chained down at home.
Doesn't sound good at all mate - I feel for you

BrisJoe said:
Crikey mate that's a raw deal.
I have been digging for yrs and I wouldnt give it up for quits.
My wife thinks I am a bit of a looney also, digging in the dirt on hot and dusty days, its my therapy I say, I think, ponder and dream up of ways how to build the next gold machine.
Wife lady is a career woman and is always heading off for work so a bit of free time does come around from time to time.
I wish she would get involved but it aintgoing to happen anytime in the near future.
Good luck all.
Cheers
Brad.

Spud said:
Your other half?

So Im fairly sure my husband thinks Im nuts and really cant come to terms with my new found obsession of fossicking.
It got me thinking how many people who enjoy the hobby have partners that also enjoy it or only tolerate it lol.
In order to get hubby to come with me last weekend I had to bribe him with Beer, lunch and more beer when we got home LOL.
Also a few of my friends think im crazy but they have known that for a long time now ;)

obsession or hobby , whatever it is why not follow your instincts ?

people should be free to do what they want and follow their heart but your relationship is something that only you two can understand , and the answers and understanding formed in it will be clearer and more valid than any sharing we might offer.

Its great to hear about people who can work together in the same hobby though :)

I always felt a good marriage was about complementary teamwork . 2 people working together can achieve more than 3 working alone

I wish i had a partner i could take out for a bit of a poke around in the bush and do a bit of fossicking in between too but i am divorced and its rare for me to let anyone inside my boundaries these days , maybe i will meet a nice girl when i am 95 and live happily ever .. ? after , for weeks and weeks . LOL

dunno about this girls weekend away . sounds dangerous to me

maybe you should get a team of firemen to go in there and check up on you ? :cool:

My wife was born & raised in gold country (Tuena), and it was she who first introduced me to gold panning more than 30 years ago. She still enjoys doing a bit of panning now and again, but probably does not quite have the same passion that I have for 'chasing the yellow'. But she is sure interested in the little bit of gold that I bring home, saying that she could probably do better. In some regards, I 'd have to agree, because her best find (as a kid in Tuena) is much bigger than my best find. Hers is the 2.6gm bit on the left.

DSC03535_DxO_DxO.jpg

Mine comes Sapphire hunting sometimes, I dig and sieve, she picks the stones out. Actually saves me plenty of time and we get more stones working together. Generally she's not into it though.

Spud said:
Your other half?

So Im fairly sure my husband thinks Im nuts and really cant come to terms with my new found obsession of fossicking.
It got me thinking how many people who enjoy the hobby have partners that also enjoy it or only tolerate it lol.
In order to get hubby to come with me last weekend I had to bribe him with Beer, lunch and more beer when we got home LOL.
Also a few of my friends think im crazy but they have known that for a long time now ;)

Hi there

Hahahah when I brought fossicking topic to the table my girlfriend was thinking WTF !!! But after a while / days I showed her pictures of what could be found and now she is pushing me to go and find gems so there is hope out there for the other halves. Gems are my hobby but if you get a detector I'm sure he will be distracted and eventually drag you out to find gold.

Dirk

condor22 said:
My wife would love to join me detecting, but MS is a bitch and physically can't.

She is worth her weight in gold, because she never objects and in fact wants me, to do what I can do, while I can still do it.

The secret is for me to not be greedy in the amount and length of trips. (2 x 3 weekers a year seems ok with her)

Hopefully next year she will join me on a trip to the GT, to watch, knit or read.

sorry to hear about her illness :(
great that she can still get outside and enjoy it with a good book though :)

Heads up, that is the best idea i have heard LOL " maybe you should get a team of firemen to go in there and check up on you ?"

Seems like nearly everyone has understanding / tolerant partners. maybe we could do a wives club, they can sit and drink wine while we dig.... my hubby can join that ;) :D

Spud said:
condor22 said:
My wife would love to join me detecting, but MS is a bitch and physically can't.

She is worth her weight in gold, because she never objects and in fact wants me, to do what I can do, while I can still do it.

The secret is for me to not be greedy in the amount and length of trips. (2 x 3 weekers a year seems ok with her)

Hopefully next year she will join me on a trip to the GT, to watch, knit or read.

sorry to hear about her illness :(
great that she can still get outside and enjoy it with a good book though :)

Heads up, that is the best idea i have heard LOL " maybe you should get a team of firemen to go in there and check up on you ?"

Seems like nearly everyone has understanding / tolerant partners. maybe we could do a wives club, they can sit and drink wine while we dig.... my hubby can join that ;) :D

:)

I used to see one of my cousins getting dressed up in his firemans uniform and going off to work.

its tough work you know , he would come home sometimes with his shirt all ripped up and scratches down his back.

little wonder he started a second job as a cowboy.

dunno how it fared coz he didnt own a horse but he certainly worked long hours to save up for that porsche

:p

seriously i hope you get some enjoyable time in the field with your good hubby , fresh air and exercise is great and there is always the chance of taking home some nice stones to be cut and sold and the gold at other locations too.

There are quite a few research tools but as mentioned above , watch a couple of WalnLiz videos on youtube for some basics and then research from there.

If you have interest in gold there are maps here on the forum you can download and import into google earth so you can research before you leave home.

I probably average 3 - 5 hours research at home before going to a new location.

best wishes

Sorry to hear that also condor.
Gday Spud. I am a loner...
No one to please or impress, No one to hear winging and whining "I want to go home" and No one to say your a drunked when you fall in the camp fire :lol:

Dam its good to be single ;)

Since discovering detecting for relics my camps are now centered around camping, fishing, hunting and detecting, I get board sitting at camp...

I don't think I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting my wife out prospecting or camping, I mean real camping, or anything close to it. 4 stars+ only!

One good thing is that she doesn't stand in my way when I want to head off.

In fact at the moment she is encouraging me to get out as she knows how hard I have been working around here and as soon as I have my landcruiser back on the road I'm off.

See you later!

Latest posts