Your other half?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Your other half?

So Im fairly sure my husband thinks Im nuts and really cant come to terms with my new found obsession of fossicking.
It got me thinking how many people who enjoy the hobby have partners that also enjoy it or only tolerate it lol.
In order to get hubby to come with me last weekend I had to bribe him with Beer, lunch and more beer when we got home LOL.
Also a few of my friends think im crazy but they have known that for a long time now ;)

G'day

How about promising him beer, lunch and more beer out at the fossicking and none at home. My wife like to come out from time to time and sits there and paints.

Araluen

Hi Spud,

My wife likes to come whenever she can, I'm sure if she had the chance she would join a all girl trip too. Were in the process of doing up the triton so we can get out more often. She has even been asking for her own detector. We don't know of any other couples, as were pretty new to prospecting.

In general though we love the bush, camping, fishing, hiking and now prospecting.

Regards

Lambi

I am soooo in favor of a girls week(end)!

I think my husband tolerates it because it makes me happy, and it's outside, and taking us to obscure locations. I don't think he was very interested at all, but he found gold in his pan last week and that may have swayed his opinion a bit.

girls week(end) sounds awesome!

i'm thinking of buying a detector for hubby so he can do that, he might enjoy it more then panning.
i also asked him if we could get a high-banker the other day...he looked at me like i had 2 heads haha.

i'm lucky that he is big into all his camping, fishing 4x4 and stuff so hopefully i can alter the locations for these activities for my benefit. i def want him to get into the hobby as well though.

Lambi, we may have to do a Canberra trip soon, maybe if he meets blokes that are into the hobby i might be able to sway him!

my wife loves the sapphires so is keen to come and find them with me but she is not keen to find gold I have to do that on my own till I am good at it then she will come our kids love going I find it good to get back to nature the sound of the river flowing is music to my ears my wife would be keen to see some more girls out prospecting we are new to gold but have some skills in finding sapphires and I am sure we can help you girls learn the tricks :)

I wish mine tolerated it...she calls herself a prospecting widow. If my shed burnt down with everything in it she would block the fire truck and clap. Lucky she hasn't made me choose yet.....she would be on shaky ground.

My wife would love to join me detecting, but MS is a bitch and physically can't.

She is worth her weight in gold, because she never objects and in fact wants me, to do what I can do, while I can still do it.

The secret is for me to not be greedy in the amount and length of trips. (2 x 3 weekers a year seems ok with her)

Hopefully next year she will join me on a trip to the GT, to watch, knit or read.

I'm still to find one that will carry my snowboard into the wilderness, camp in the snow, set up the highbanker in the middle of nowhere, clean my fish, pan out my cons etc

My partner has always loved heading bush when i detect. But on longer trips she gets bored. She tried detecting a few times but she is of slight build and found swinging the Minelab difficult. I recently purchased a small sadie coil and she indicated she wanted to give it a try. Well within 5 minutes of beginning to detect she found her very first pieces of gold, both from the one hole...an 18 gram and 4 gram nugget. Well the gold fever set in and she is keen to get out again. I can see a second detector purchase may be needed soon.
RedDirtDigger

PS Without being patronizing i have noticed that any women who master the basics of detecting, seem to have the patience and mind set to find more gold then the boys.

Sorry Paydirt, I'm spoken for. Though you'd have probably kicked me to the curb for nicking/hogging the board all the time and letting you clean the fish.

Spud said:
girls week(end) sounds awesome!

i'm thinking of buying a detector for hubby so he can do that, he might enjoy it more then panning.
i also asked him if we could get a high-banker the other day...he looked at me like i had 2 heads haha.

i'm lucky that he is big into all his camping, fishing 4x4 and stuff so hopefully i can alter the locations for these activities for my benefit. i def want him to get into the hobby as well though.

Lambi, we may have to do a Canberra trip soon, maybe if he meets blokes that are into the hobby i might be able to sway him!

A detector will get him hooked guaranteed, anything electronic and we're all over it :lol:. The way I see it, camping, fishing, 4x4 and fossicking all go together quite well.

My wife isn't exactly a fan fossicking but I'm hoping this will change when our son is a little older. They both came out to the last PA Nundle camp and surprisingly the wife actually didn't mind the camping side of things, the young bloke had a ball and ran a muck as usual.

My wife can't seem to find the same enjoyment I get out of digging holes and finding microscopic specks of gold. She has been out a few times with me and our 2 young kids but always ends up cracking the sads...probably because the kids get bored. I think all it will take is for me to find a nice little nugget to give to her with its dollar value next to it and she might get more interested. For me its more about getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors with the whole family with the added possibility of finding some nice colour.

Cheers

My better half likes the camping, 4x4, sometimes she will give me with the HB if I'm onto some gold

My wife doesn't like detecting. But she loves camping and cooking around the fire so I can go detecting any time and loves it when I bring back some nuggets back to camp. :D

My wife comes along chasing park pennies, she hogs the detector while I do all the digging. She also lays claim to finding every thing.

Cheers,

Rob

Latest posts