❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iron pisolites
Hi guys. Wondering if anyone can name this rock, mineral or even petrified wood? It has some kind of grain on it, is black under white light and shines blue under the UV torch. Actual dimensions, 1cm, by 5mm by 4mm, and weighs 2.54grams. Any clues or feedback would be appreciated. Cheers everyone.
I'm not sure that is blue florescence - it looks more like blue light from the torch.

Well observed by by goldierocks. Take that off the list of properties.
Unfortunately heading down the path to a less interesting specimen.
Maybe a black section of banded jasper which would fit the locality of it.
here is a photo of jasperlite.Jasperlite.jpg

here is a photo of jasperlite.View attachment 1108
Didn't think of that, but it is interesting. What is the black section?

Because the most abundant iron minerals are not magnetic - eg limonite/goethite (I was referring to your Kununurra sample)..

Because the most abundant iron minerals are not magnetic - eg limonite/goethite (I was referring to your Kununurra sample)..
Really? Sorry goldierocks. I'm naive and new when it comes to fossicking, so just assumed it would be super magnetic if it was iron rich. Another learning for me. Thanks mate.

Really? Sorry goldierocks. I'm naive and new when it comes to fossicking, so just assumed it would be super magnetic if it was iron rich. Another learning for me. Thanks mate.
No probs. Magnetite is the most magnetic iron mineral, followed by maghemite and pyrrhotite. Most iron-rich minerals are not magnetic.

here is a photo of jasperlite.View attachment 1108
That is why I suggest that cheap torch uv lights are not great - they will work on some things but they usually overlap into the visible light field, and only work on a limited part of the uv spectrum. Doesn't cost a lot more for a good light.

Go to "Series on identifying minerals" under my name and have a read. In particular, try to estimate hardness more accurately - all you need is a "gold" coin and your fingernail.

Hi every body can anyone identify this for me I have people saying slag but it's weird for slags specially those lines inside of it an it's magnetic as well

An it weighs dry 725.0
An 380.5 wet
Ahah
1516434456_img_0664.jpg

1516434457_img_0665.jpg

An there's this one as well they saying black obsidian I did a gravity test it's 3.106382978723404 after it's been divided for the site but it won't work for me sorry guys an girls

1516434902_img_0669.jpg

1516434902_img_0671.jpg
picture no2 looks like iron that is melted in a crucible ,the needle like crystals i think are called dendrites

picture no2 looks like iron that is melted in a crucible ,the needle like crystals i think are called dendrites
Woah there useit one at a time!
Identifying minerals is like a sport and there are rules and if the rules are not followed success cannot be guaranteed let alone be expected. The same minerals and their general classes can have very different appearances etc. so the best way to identify them is to follow the rules!
Those rules are a series of standard tests that in some cases may be diagnostic and in other cases eliminate other potential candidates.
The rules (tests) for identifying minerals are quite basic and most can be done or at least attempted by us here so I think it reasonable to ask anyone wanting to have minerals identified on this forum try to provide answers to as many of the standard tests as possible together with the posting of a focused, close up and naturally lit photograph of the specimen.
Goldierocks has pointed out here he has a large thread under his name about identification and some of the tests possible.
For your information the basic test list is as follows.
Colour, Hardness, Lustre, Specific Gravity, Streak, Smell, Taste, Magnetism, Effervesence, Cleavage/Fracture, Fluorescence, etc.
Other information would be any unusual properties noted and very importantly the geological context or location in which it was discovered.
I would recommend that you repost each specimen singly with answers to as many of the tests that you can perform as possible.

Hi Shakergt.
Looks like a bit of vein wall rock which could contain a mixture of things such as quartz, wall rock pieces, other vein minerals etc.
The second photo looks like it has been sawn?
Also not knowing the geological context of where it was found Makes it a bit harder.
Would recommend also posting some of the basic tests you can do yourself at home.
Eg Specific gravity, Hardness and in that regard test the hardness of each of the minerals/rock pieces shown in the specimen, Streak is the colour left on the back of a piece of white porcelain tile, magnetic property etc.
goldierocks has posted a list of tests that can be done in that regard.
For others interested in these sorts of ID challenges, I would also recommend purchasing a good old fashioned book on Rocks and Minerals which usually give a list of tests which can be used. A good companion on prospecting trips.

I am unable to let you know of the location it was found as I found it at my house when I moved in. It has been cut in the second photo and was also found like that.

I am unable to let you know of the location it was found as I found it at my house when I moved in. It has been cut in the second photo and was also found like that.
You'd better hope when Goldierocks shows up he doesn't say it's very high-grade platinum ore and that if you knew the source you'd be a multi-millionaire! 😄

Wow!
Perhaps not. Too little info to say what it is made of - it is a rock cut by a quartz vein but photo insufficient to know what the rock mineral is. At first I thought it was a micaceous mineral (eg chlorite) but it cuts a bit too cleanly - any number of other possibilities exist among metamorphic or hydrothermal rock-forming minerals.

Hi Folks,

While on the hunt for microscopic gold, I frequently observe a lot of coloured 'stones' amongst the black sand, and quartz. Grubstake spotted a few in some photos I posted of my micro-gold and suggested I post more pics here to see if anyone could do some ID's for me. All samples are sub 1mm and from a quartz sand rich creek near Mogo (SE NSW). If they were larger I'd run some hardness & streak tests & attempt some ID myself but these are waaayyyyy too tiny (for me anyway). There are reds and oranges, a blue-grey cube, pink, & a bright green (peridot?) I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions as to what the main ones are.

20220507_174441.jpg20220508_143913.jpg20220514_214818.jpg20220514_215311.jpg20220514_215904.jpg20220514_215937.jpg

Latest posts