X Terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I've recently been looking for a medal detector that cheap. People have told me that the X Terra 705 is great. Is this metal detector good for finding gold nuggets? Please let me know or suggest a better one that's in the $900 range.

Thanks
Angus Lillie

705 has been done to death, have a look at the topics already started, hope this helps.

Regards

1416729684_untitled.jpg

Hi Angus. I recently got one for the misses. I took it out today to make sure it worked ok for her and got a little .4 of a g bit in quartz. Was happy with how it worked, its no PI but ok for what it is in my opinion.

I had a Eureka last year, I spent 4 weeks in the Vic Goldfields with it. I found a lot of trash.

I came home and this year traded it on a GPX5000 did another 4 weeks and found several pieces of gold with it.

Enough said..........

Yeah the Eureka is better but the misses would find it too heavy, she's only lightly built. That and she would not be using it that much, coming out with me only now and then so the price of the 705 also swayed it. Only cost me $637. The other thing is she is not real serious so would be simply happy to find a little bit now and then which I expect she will. The Eureka is good on real small stuff using the higher frequency. I once used one on a large lead where the mullock heaps were mostly pipeclay and ran it the higher frequency and pinged little bits everywhere. For the most part though If someone was happy to go out and find a bit now and then just as a hobby, then ok, but if someone wanted to go out and find some serious gold then a PI is really the way to go. Having too high expectations can be disappointing to many which I think some who get the available VLF's today have, expecting to replicate the success others have using gear worth 5 to 6 times as much. That said though they can still find gold if you use them where they work best. There are more places a PI works better though. So id say if you were serious about finding some serious gold get a PI, even a second hand 2200v2 or something like that, GP Xtreme maybe too. But for a hobby, doing your homework and using it right a VLF can still work. For what we got it for, cost and use wise, we are happy with the 705. Im not expecting we'll find a show stopper with it but who knows, stranger things have happened. :D

Latest posts