Working from Home ...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Workcover qld and the INDEPENDENT regulator happen to work in the same building.

I agree heavily with redfin. We are all good mates but business is business as far as employers and workcover go.

Gem in I said:
Workcover qld and the INDEPENDENT regulator happen to work in the same building.

I agree heavily with redfin. We are all good mates but business is business as far as employers and workcover go.

Loyalty has it's place and business doesn't get a look in.

LoneWolf said:
Just a Question ... If You were forced to Work from Home due to Covid and You had a Bad Fall at home while working Would You be Entitled To make a Workers Comp Claim?

Daughters Boy Friend Has had a serious fall at home and has broken his leg in several places falling down the stairs... A very bad break that requires Surgery and can take up to 9mths to heal...

I feel the answer should be Yes, but according to his boss, they are saying No...

Thoughts?

LW...

LW you probably basically have the answer from his employer but there are variables that need to be considered. Regardless of COVID reasons if he had permission, agreement or instruction (documented is pretty handy) then his home work area (not the total home) becomes his place of work. It has been pretty common (maybe in larger organisations) that when someone is going to work from home there is an evaluation done either by self or others using a checklist that are meant to be designed to identify any potential areas of risk. There is also the aspect of did work contribute to the incident / injury.

Also key to remember that it is not the organisation's decision on if a workers comp claim is lodged and he shouldn't be taking that advice from his employer. It is in their interest for him to not lodge a claim as it a) Then doesn't impact their premiums and b) Over time his entitlement/s can diminish (there are legislative timeframes for reporting and lodging a claim).

I always encouraged people to lodge a claim for injuries that they believed work related as then it is officially on record and if there are any complications later (can be years down the track) it is down on record and he still gets looked after. Knew a guy with an ankle injury and due to changes that occurred over time he had to go under the knife at least a couple of times after initial surgery (one of these was around 10 years later). He was offered a payout earlier in the process but didn't take it (not compulsory to do so) for just that eventuality and long term it appeared to be the right decision.

Hope this helps

Rod

When lodging a claim do not do it at work under the guidance of HR.
Download the forms and fill them out with your doctor.
Send them registerd mail.
Make sure you do this within 28 days of the injury.