Woods Point Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The area wasn't rich like ballarat. But I obtained coarse to shotty gold. Very nice area to camp woods point is set in a deep gully. Just watch out for, those Dame marsh Flys... Regards

I helped a mate way back in the late 70's with a 4" dredge in a creek just off Big river when it was ok to use them and we pulled 2 ounces in 5 hard days, It was very close to a mine that he had a lease on and was a blast of a week but my poor back hasn't been the same.

Big River now, as most of the rivers around there are no panning or fossicking or so I am lead to believe

Hope it helps

Well I've done some research and found that big river Is out of the question but the creeks and streams seem to be ok I've look at the exempt list and there not on it plus when you look at parks vic it says there that you can still pan for gold ????

Hi all!

Anybody know if you can pan/detect around the Wood's Point area of Victoria ?

Can't find anywhere that explicitly denies you from doing so but it's a fairly historic area!

Thanks!

Mate I used to all the time in that area back in the day. But shoot in the 80's.....
Dunno what the rules are now down there...

Thanks Simmo hoping someone can let me know! How did you go out there back then?

I just got from Woods Point, I tried to look for gold in the Goulborn river, I did not find anything. (((

Evening All,

So I finally convinced a mate to come gold panning with me as if I'm enjoying it as much as I am, I'm sure he'll find it great too - plus, if he gets the 'fever' I will have someone to help shovel in the future :D

Anyway, so I have been looking at some old maps etc, and doing a bit of reading - and settled on Woods Point as a potential destination. Obviously, I want to be somewhat successful on the day as this will help exponentially in administering the 'fever'.....

And I know, I know, 'Gold is where you find it'....but would you recommend Woods Point?

I'm from Chirnside Park and the only place I've panned is Anderson's Creek with a bit of success - but now that restrictions are easing I want to venture further out!

Should I consider anywhere else?

*EDIT : I think I posted this in the wrong section - just found localities.

SonofOak said:
Evening All,

So I finally convinced a mate to come gold panning with me as if I'm enjoying it as much as I am, I'm sure he'll find it great too - plus, if he gets the 'fever' I will have someone to help shovel in the future :D

Anyway, so I have been looking at some old maps etc, and doing a bit of reading - and settled on Woods Point as a potential destination. Obviously, I want to be somewhat successful on the day as this will help exponentially in administering the 'fever'.....

And I know, I know, 'Gold is where you find it'....but would you recommend Woods Point?

I'm from Chirnside Park and the only place I've panned is Anderson's Creek with a bit of success - but now that restrictions are easing I want to venture further out!

Should I consider anywhere else?

*EDIT : I think I posted this in the wrong section - just found localities.

Rasberry Creek is an option and is readily accessible from the Woods Point Road - but be aware that fossicking is not permitted in the Delatite River, the Goulburn River and it's upper branches, Gaffneys Creek or Godfrey Creek that are also crossed by the Woods point Road . Good luck.

Wait. When you say the Goulburn River and it's 'upper branches' - what exactly does that mean?

Ok, so I did my research and I learnt that the branches of a river are 'distributaries' and 'tributaries'. Distribs flow away from the river, Tribs towards it, generally speaking.

...so, what are the upper branches? :)

Latest posts