Winding detector coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Keen Ken...we use to build detectors back in the days of the old Garret Ground Hogs....and wound several coils inside old frizbies ...my neighbor was a scientist with the defense force and had access to some really good oscilloscopes.... so the transmit and receive windings could be tuned fairly precisely. The technology was a bit more primitive in those days and i don't think I'd go to the trouble today. :) Good fun though if you want to give it a go. Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks Wal,
I have an old minelab goldseeker I find good on the beach, unfortunatly I split the caseing as it is breaking down with age.
I cant get a newer coil so I thought I would look into the possibility of rewinding or making a new coil that would be more stable and water proof in salt conditions. Or repacking the coil in a new caseing with the addition of a salt noise reducing layer as follows.
I noticed that some coils have a sprayed on carbon or ferrite? coating, do you know how this is done or what can be used?

Ha keen ken, there is a spray from 3m I think that I have used on machines, and electronic, sorry Aquadag E:, carbon paint, can be sprayed via air brush, really conductive. Hope this helps, also have access to laser cutters if you need a jig or a form to wind around, may be able to help?..? :p

Also got a thermoforming machine can do petg co-polyester, of hips, high impact polyester.

And a cnc router, for a mould

Latest posts