Willemite at the Puttapa or Beltana mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering whether anyone has fossicked for Willemite at the Puttapa (or Beltana) mine (just South of Leigh Creek in SA).
I have a new interest in fluorescent minerals (after visiting the fantastic Terrestrial rock museum in Georgetown, Qld), and Willemite looks tremendous under LW and SW UV Light.
I have written to the Puttapa Station owners, but am unsure if they are the pastoralists that encompasses the Puttapa mine, and if so, whether they can allow access to the abandoned mine.
Any help here would be much appreciated.
Here's some images of Willemite ore from Puttapa under a UV light. In daylight, it's generally a very bland whitish/grey colour.:
1570183495_willemite.jpg

PS: At camp in the Dunolly State Forest last weekend, I found some scorpions at night after a very quick search (3 around my van) using my UV light and they shine brightly like small lighthouses. Very few critters fluoresce, and even scientists, who know the chemicals that fluoresce, have no idea why scorpions have developed this trait, as they hide under rocks or in wood-piles/leaf/litter during the day, and come out at night when there's no UV. Here's one pic taken by jwal a few feet up in an iron-bark tree:
1570183952_scorpion.jpg

If you do find some, I would love to purchase a piece from you for my collection... ;)

Scorpion's look cool under UV... I have 1, but want more...
Quite a few Fungi Fluorescent too... Looks cool in a Rainforest at night...

LW...

Hey LW, the Yanks seem to buy a lot then re-sell it globally for good/big dollars.
I have specimens of calcite and fluorite, but this stuff nails those in terms of colour and brightness.
Only my uranium ore glows brighter under my UVA light. Have now a mid-level UVC lamp on order.
I'll let you know how things pan out. Hope to bring back a few buckets of the stuff.
If so, will gladly send you some.
PS: I also picked up a piece of surface quartz last weekend (at night) that glows a purplish colour under UV (very few do), only to find that it had some fungus on it. I scraped that off, and it stopped glowing.

"While mining has stopped at Beltana, the site is still used as a base for Perilya's exploration in the immediate area (circa 2012) and permission must be obtained prior to any entry into the site". So just check....

Have looked at Puttapa and similar things in Africa, familiar with Franklin furnace and some other localities, worked on a mine that produced some. But no, not otherwise...

There is a bit on the market at present from Zambia, Namibia, New York state (Franklin) and Thailand. Otherwise I only see Puttapa specimens from Australia, although it is not all that rare here. e,g, https://www.ebay.com/itm/JH9774-Rare-Willemite-Chunk-Puttapa-Mine-Australia-/254012653792

Thanks BW :Y: Watch out for Fluorescent Paint too... that's caught me out a few times :lol:

The US certainty has the Market sown up... Some prices are outrageous and then they want to slug you top $ in postage... I don't buy much due to this reason...

LW....

goldierocks said:
Have looked at Puttapa and similar things in Africa, familiar with Franklin furnace and some other localities, worked on a mine that produced some. But no, not otherwise...

There is a bit on the market at present from Zambia, Namibia, New York state (Franklin) and Thailand. Otherwise I only see Puttapa specimens from Australia, although it is not all that rare here. e,g, https://www.ebay.com/itm/JH9774-Rare-Willemite-Chunk-Puttapa-Mine-Australia-/254012653792
I know it occurs near Merredin WA, Zeehan Tasmania and Iron Monarch open pit in South Australia. I suspect that crystals would be damned rarer and pricey compared with the fine-grained banded Puttapa ore. My better specimens are from Tsumeb and Berg Aukas mines in Namibia.

Thanks goldierocks, but I'm keen on the Willemite from Puttapa/Beltana mines just South of Leigh Creek.
Have my daughter's wedding on the 11th Nov so, albeit getting warm out there, thought I may give it a shot shortly after ditching the suit.
Took me a while to find one that will fit as I've become a Big-BigWave :argh:
Any takers?
BYO Rum & Whiskey on this trip.
PS: I have 2 * UVA torches and 2 * UVC lamps for some Willemite searching after dark.
PPS: Lady-friend has found lots of scorpions (~15 - I hate those buggers) - at our more recent camp in the GT - for her show and tell with the UVA torches.

I would love to come too BW, but distance rules me out. .. Sounds like You now have the 'Fluorescence' Bug... :Y: :lol:
I have been into them for a while now but need a real UV light to see their true colours.... :/

If ever you are passing through Broken Hill, there is a great Display of Fluorescent Minerals in a store on the main street... I scored a beautiful, large piece of local found Mangano-calcite for a few $... :Y:

LW...

Hey LW, I have gotten the Fluorescence bug.
I purchased a Convoy S2+ UVA torch. It's as good as the Nitecore MT1U (which I also have and uses the same LED), but is way cheaper and easily as good quality.
I only have a low priced UVC lamp ATM, as high output powered ones are damn pricey. Unfortunately, Willemite from Beltana/Puttapa requires UVC, so I'll labour with the one I have ATM, and search low to the ground at night after identifying possible mine stockpiles during the days.

Cool, I will have a look at the Torches you have purchased as I only have a 'UV' Black light torch.... One day when the money gods are nice to me, I will go all out and set things up correctly....
I have been told that these are the Fluorescence Bibles... Expensive in Aust, but cheaper in the UK or the USA if you can get one sent free postage... Research is the key to getting them cheap... ;)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-The...002257&hash=item26197d4742:g:ioUAAOSwAmVcqE5h

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Collect...796739&hash=item592186ff21:g:3~IAAOSwvtFZyMei

LW....

Had heaps of fun looking for scorpions in the dark with the uv torches . Was amazing to see all the colors reds orange blues and purples of some plants and fungi on the barks of the trees . Even makes ya wee glow in the dark ....
1572005238_826be6a1-7394-4672-85e2-54e51267609f.jpg

1572005238_fada978b-0e32-4d09-89af-1fb59a8d6bb5.jpg
So they tell me !
Cheers Booney

What a great topic. I have some fluro rocks but not yet got the proper lights due to expense.

I also saw a nice display of glow in the darks at the Crystal Caves in Atherton last week. Fantastic.

Latest posts