Gold Prospecting Terminology - Alphabetical List

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great list, I was wondering what bedrock and specie meant after watching some videos last night!

BigWave said:
There's fugly and fuseless as well :lol:
Could also add Costean and Adit
Don't forget to add their meanings BW. :lol:

Oops:
Fugly: A terrifyingly hideous looking piece of jewellery.
Fuseless: A totally useless item that is guaranteed to break on first use.
Costean: A trench dug on the side of a slope to determine gold shedding.
Adit: A horizontal shaft, often dug into the side of a hill to intersect high grade ores.

I've noticed from youtube vids that there's lots of terms for the sizes of the pieces found in the pan, pickers, 100's, 200's, specks and so on. could you make a list of common ones ?

Nugget said:
Is there anyone interested in having a go at putting together some definitions to the terms listed in my first post?

Please try and keep definitions relatively short (no more than a few sentences if possible), and remember these are to be written with newcomers in mind.

This will a fairly open process, so if anyone would like to jump in and suggest a minor alteration to a definition please do so.

Cheers,
Nugget
Count me in.
I have learned a lot from this forum and would like to contribute and help grow our collective knowledge.

mushmouse said:
Here is some home made terminology :)

suconds:
A measurement of time. How long it takes that leech that has been hanging around all morning to latch onto your arm the moment you start working a crevice in still water.

sedimental
The warm and fuzzy feeling one has for their equipment when you check the tailings in the catch pan..and find no gold loss.

toolettes syndrome
A verbal expulsion of profanities when you realise you have left your shovel at home/back at the river.

rocktomism
Self-convincing belief that you will remember to avoid stepping on that wobbly boulder that put you in the creek, ..only to do it again 5 minutes later...

blizard
a phenonomen that occurs when you have a lunch break and are suddenly surrounded by a hundred skinks

weighders
Waterproof outerwear that becomes heavier through the day when you realise that home made patch job just didnt quite take.

clazy
You know you should puddle the solid grey stuff for its possible gold bearing contents -but you can't be bothered. Too clazy.

tarpidation
The internal anxiety one feels as you drive to your favorite spot, praying no-one else has set up camp first.

lapsadary
Taking 'one of a kind' rocks home only to realise that you have 324 other 'one of a kind' rocks that are identical

Fair dinkum hilarious and brilliant!

Heatho said:
Fugget: When you detect a target, dig it it up and realise that it's not gold and you say "aarrgghh fugget".

In the everyday vernacular, the word "fugget" could have many application's and variations!

Fugget, I'm staying home and not going out there.

Question: 'Where did you find that nugget?"
Answer: ' I Fugget!"

Fugget, I'm not staying home!

When you KNOW it's trash and you're going to dig it any way :"Fugget, I know you are trash but let's dig you out anyway!"

I'll keep workingon the word and see what eventuates