Wide Mouth Plastic Shovel for Beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work Nugget! I've been keeping an eye out for something to use in the Sand.

Looks like I'll be off to Bunnings in the morning ;)

Don't lean on it too hard, I snapped mine off about 6 inches above the head on the handle. Fortunately Bunnings handed my cash back and now I have a stainless bucket scoop which works a lot better (and a mate that was using the green shovels has one of my bucket scoops too and the green shovel no longer gets used)

Yeah but the pics are on my phone and I can't upload them. I made it myself.

Thanks for posting this. Looks like the kids now have something to buy me for my birthday.

Hi I have just bought a plastic (polyproplene) shovel at Bunnings for $48.50 and has a good guarantee. I have been looking for one of these for many months. Cheers

if your shovel snaps bunnings will refund you or give you another no questions asked.

Will Bunnings or Masters refund or replace if you have modified it? ie: drilled holes in it or cut it back in size etc ? :|

For the price, who cares.

I'm going to get one and modify it for that price.

The one that I snapped had been reshaped and they refunded my cash

You'd have to be going pretty hard to break it in the first place :/

Hey Sparksey

Can I save you $50?

I also bought a Bunnings shovel - and did it work? Yes it did. Did it take me double or triple the time to retrieve and find the target than the below shovel? Yes it did. :(

851692CD-AAFA-4CD0-A07D-8095622E36FA_zpstbr62ysr.jpg

F0580884-DF4B-46FA-8F4C-78879E3AB3FD_zpsexaxu01a.jpg

If you are serious about beach detecting ... Then you gotta get something like this. I struggled and struggled with the green Bunnings shovel. Sure, dry sand that is not compacted it works a treat. Deep targets and you dig a hole the size of a manhole. Rocks and hard sand and you will be there a long time retrieving the target. The steel scoop - usually one or two scoops and you have the target in the scoop - it can't fall out - just shake and then look - no bending of the back - the shovel - not so easy and it is heavy with a full shovel full of sand. And you can't help but bend your back. The metal scoop is $200 but I reckon all the additional targets per session you get because you aren't wasting all your time digging it will pay for itself with one gold ring.

It is the same reasoning as owning a pro pointer which are also near the same price - I understand it is expensive - I am a bit thrifty myself - but I am convinced that to be successful you want every advantage you can bring to find the most value targets on the beach as quickly and efficiently as possible - it's a big place you can't possibly cover so the more ground you walk over in your session time the more successful you will be! :)

I know - here is a good analogy for you - it is the difference between retrieving a fish hooked on a hand line vs using a fishing rod and reel! Both do work but one is much harder and slower than the other.

Hi Paulmarr,

Thanks for the info. Where did you buy your steel scoop? I will look into that as an option.

I am looking forward to hitting the beach, I am heading on holidays for a couple of weeks so it might be a good time to order the steel scoop so it arrives by the time I am home.

By the way the detector arrived in good order, many thanks!

I bought on eBay Sparksey - search using "Miami scoop" and you should find it. From Latvia I think but free shipping which took about two weeks.

Thanks for letting me know the detector arrived safely!

Case in point - today I was at the beach and had to dig up some massive rocks to get the targets today - the green shovel would have had me return home empty handed! Most targets were 6-12 inches down and required the removal of heavy rocks to get at the target - the metal scoop lifted them with ease! ;)

Latest posts