Who waves

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just spent the last 5 months doing the grey nomad thing from Central NSW , all the way to the Tip , Karumba ,Tennant Creek ,Uluru , Coober Pedy, Adelaide and now here in Vic . Over 20000ks. All the way up through NSW, Qld and NT everybody waved. As im going through SA i notice the waves are starting to go 50/ 50. Travelling along the Coorong getting less and less and in Victoria totally non existent.
Not saying anything but are Victorians really that unhappy? Or are they just smug cause they have the GT in there backyard? :/

Unhappy? :eek:
LOL :lol: :lol:
No :D
But........ why wave at everybody? :rolleyes: everyday?? :8
And why would you want to wave at everybody as you drive?

I know that when I am on a trip and am driving for 3-4 hrs, I would pass thousands of cars on my trip but I wouldn't spend the whole trip waving at everyone.
But when in remote areas like the Nullarbor i do wave at the random car/truck that comes past every hour ;)

Ha ha I travelled to Darwin from central Vic in 03 didn't get a wave until south of the NT border. It seems to me it must have been touro's rather than locals the further north we got it was mixed between waves and middle fingers :lol:. Smart arse locals we called em. Driving my truck to Melbourne I get nothing, go north and its all waves. Metro heads will only wave once their in the sticks.

I wave at anybody going the other way, but have noticed that when I drive the ute I get 1000 times more waves than when in the missus Prius. If people see what they think is a city car, forget it, don't even try for a wave, you'll be left hangin. Recently I got an ex taxi and can't muster a wave, exept for other ex cabs, yellow love!

The closer you get to Melbourne the less chance of receiving waves. Too time poor to wave or some crap lol

We don't wave because we have a little known safety device we use here in Victoria - it's called concentrating on the road ahead, not on whether or not the oncoming driver is waving at us. Try it - its fun.

I agree and you might wave at the wrong person one day with all the ice heads around and find yourself in the shit I personally only wave at freinds it's not worth the risk

As a regular tug driver with the van on the back, I find that fellow caravan and camper drivers are always ready to give the wave. When it is a long haul I start to get a bit of "rsi" waving back all the time :D Thinking of making a phony hand on a spring to stick on the dash. :lol:

Have already seen someone with the fake hand on a spring stuck to the dash was very clever , also have had a young fella wave with his foot which was a bit of a worry ! As for me always a waver when travelling

Cheers

rego7 said:
We don't wave because we have a little known safety device we use here in Victoria - it's called concentrating on the road ahead, not on whether or not the oncoming driver is waving at us. Try it - its fun.

What a load of BS! You should be observing and reacting to all sorts of things going on whilst driving, ie other motorists, a simple wave has never sent me spinning off the road out of control.

People used to acknowledge and give a small wave when let in to merge lanes. Pretty rare now to get those waves. They only care about their own small bubble. Bugger waving, he might be a ice head, come on!

OzzieAu said:
As a regular tug driver with the van on the back, I find that fellow caravan and camper drivers are always ready to give the wave. When it is a long haul I start to get a bit of "rsi" waving back all the time :D Thinking of making a phony hand on a spring to stick on the dash. :lol:

Always wave to vanners after getting out of Metro areas.
OzzieAu, there are already hand waves on the market. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/colorful-hands-clips-of-suction-cup_60243481353.html