Who makes the most money out of beef cattle.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just putting out there for correct information, I not looking for uninformed info, I hoping we have people on this forum that may have been or are involved in the beef industry. I would like to see who is missing out along the chain.
Stages are, producer, transport, sales, processor, retailer, customer, I may have missed a couple and some Gov agents along the way however you should have an idea of the direction. Please not when my dad done it 60 years ago but today at the present. I have always been wanting to know the answers as there is a lot of bucking passing out there.

Cheers, DD

The only one's that are missing out are the producers i send cattle away once every 4 months or so, only hobby farming so i can only speak for myself but from one cow say average 300kg i get depends on the day of sale between 120-180cents per kilo live weight again only a average more lower price than higher and out of that i have to pay for transport, agents fee, storage fee, sale fees , taxes and so on not to mention the cost of drenches, tags, vaccines from raising from calf to sale so when i see in the butchers that meat is $30/40kg i haven't been to a butcher in years so i don't know how much it goes for so some one is making a motza and i know it's not us farmers 8.(

I just eat it,... I like it, but, it gets expensive so as consumers we only eat blade or mince or stirfry cuts when it comes to cattle by the time it's on display in the butchers. :)

Moved from the investment thread,

Food = the investment will go ahead once we are fairly paid , e.g. Meat, we raise the mothers to 2 or 3 years old then they give birth and we raise the of spring for upto 12 months then we get $2 /$5 dressed weight a kilo and its $28 per kilo in the shop , now theres the problem I understand overheads but its a joke when we do the hard yards .
Rant over

As for meat its a hard one ,outlets are not good old family butchers that used to source it locally and process it themselves buying direct from farms cutting out at least three middle men that all tack a bit on .
big corporate monopolies have sold at losses just to shut small business and the attraction and convenience of the range of goods that used to take 8 different family shops to sell wins out, if they took all the items that aren't food out of the supermarkets there would actually be room for our trolley's wink

fruit and veg they need to tax imports , it is sad when you can buy imported bananas cheaper ,when we have a struggling industry here that would expand if the sales were there. Only have to look how many small growers of fruit are left about these days.

better mention gold here some where :lol: GOLD :lol:

new rant
The biggest kick in the nuts is when prices do rise the green groups usually release some footage they have been saving for such an occasion, thinking they are being humane and all they achieve is taking much needed profits out of the industry therefore stopping producers from being able to upgrade caveman infrastructure to more modern and humane technologies .
Most farmers depend on once in ten year windfalls to replace large assets the other 9 years just pays the bills . Taking market confidence away from farmers just makes it even harder for them to consider pouring more money in to a weak investment.
I do believe the green groups do play an important role in exposing rouge people in the industry but the way they go about it is only disadvantaging the animals they are supposed to be helping.
:)

Maybe there is too many middle men inbetween the producer and consumer.
Especially if these middle men are not adding to the cost of production but adding to the cost paid by the next in line who in turn passes that amount on until it is paid by the consumer.
Then they are profiting at the expence of both the producer and the consumer.

I know we should be staying on subject but it never ceases to amaze me that the ones that do the most work seem to make the least money. More power to the actual home grown producers imo

Whats stopping a producer, from getting a licence to slaughter, get the meat inspected, and selling direct to shops, or the public? Forming a co-operative with other farmers, and share the costs? Package the meat, have it sent by courier, or have their own shop outlets? Australia is a lucky country, but spoiled by greedy companies.

Only the producer is stopping themself doing that RR , plenty of "paddock to plate" businesses around these days, the consumer just needs to go looking. Everything from meat, cheese and vegetables can all be delivered direct to your door from the farm that produced it. Not cheap but worth it in my experience.

A lot of the obsticles for the famer to produce and sell directly to the consumer are obsticles of government regulation.
There is also an unnecessary accreditation scheme in place that adds further costs through its exclusive practices and its monopoly over most of the meat processing and transport companies with in the industry.

hmmmm well i am a meat wholesaler, whos making the money you ask.???
meat prices depend on lots of things, if the exporter are buying up big, if too few cattle/sheep turn up at sale,even the price of hides.
as for our over head i wont say in $$$ but most people dont earn in a year what our over head are in a week.( staff of 20, 10 trucks and a prime mover and trailer, rent,super,workcover, insurance,power per week $$$$ to run cooling and the list goes on and on.
so support your local butcher not the supermarkets while they are still around, because they are closing in record numbers.

rocketaroo said:
Whats stopping a producer, from getting a licence to slaughter, get the meat inspected, and selling direct to shops, or the public? Forming a co-operative with other farmers, and share the costs? Package the meat, have it sent by courier, or have their own shop outlets? Australia is a lucky country, but spoiled by greedy companies.
most butchers don't even slaughter these days , its that regulated its not feasible so abattoirs do it all

supermarket beef, or lamb, is too expensive, let alone the local butchers, which are a premium price.

rocketaroo said:
supermarket beef, or lamb, is too expensive, let alone the local butchers, which are a premium price.
you get what you pay for and local butchers can recommend cheaper cuts and the right way to cook them , I still buy snags and things from the butcher and once you find a good one the quality makes up for cost.

I buy sausages from a local butcher, they are $26 a kilo, most people laugh at him because they can buy bbq "sausages" from coles for $3.99, but 2 of these sausages and some fresh veges and your stuffed, not to mention you have never tasted anything so good.. wont be long until he shuts down though as most people just want cheap.

one of the stupid costs are the electronic ear tags which we are made put in them before they leave the farm roughly $2 a tag , even when they go direct to the abattoirs they must have them or we get a $45 fine per tag, and the first thing taken off the animal is the skin with the ears on it. the tags only have our property identification number in it nothing else.

busted knuckle mining said:
traceability thats what the ear tags are for.....meat can be traced from butcher to paddock.
the tags the first bit cut off our pick numbers on the paper work , they are slaughtered as a group separate to everyone elses, the tags make sense when the go to sale yards but not direct to the abs.

Latest posts