Who gets most of the Gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Ross
Reaction score
The people in my view who get the most Gold metal detecting are the pro's and retirees. The reason these people get most of the gold is that they are Keen, Well equipped, Travel to good gold bearing areas of Australia and spend a lot of time in the location with coil to the ground.

So as a family person with limited time on my hands. I wanted to improve my chances and have that coil more on the ground and searching. I have decided to keep myself mobile and stay out there detecting longer. This will involve combining hiking and detecting together. Keeping this to a manageable weight level has been challenging.

I will post below my pack and sleeping gear so far.

NOTE: I edited my original post as i ramble on a bit and lets just say i had a few whilst writing it. Sorry about that.

Anyway, If any one else backpacks in detecting i would be interested in there backpacking setups. :)

I think this bivvy with a sleeping bag would make a light weight sleeping system?

1393734784_sol_escape_bivvy.jpg

Have a light sleeping bag inside for cold areas. Its light weight, water proof and breathable and cost about $60 AUD.

hey ROSCOE for meals MRE (meals ready to eat) being an ex army boy i can say that these are not half bad there light, wont draw in any of the local wildlife and are packed full of.......stuff that will keep you going all day,bivvy bags are great also throw in some thermals for sleeping (and maybe a FHM mag) water purification pills and your on your way :eek:
if you do decide to go extreme detecting roll me a hoy im kinda liking the sound of it ;)
(could end up a reality show on pay tv...............hmmmmm) :D

Thanks dwt, i will look into those MRE meals. If they don't require any water to eat them than that's even better. At the moment i am using dehydrated meals and they consume to much of my water, but they are light weight. There is no water in a lot of places i go, dry as a bone. I will keep you in mind dwt. :)

LoL, I had to look up what a FHM mag was...ha,ha :)

where is the cheapest place you found MRE's ?

i have never found cheap ones. :(

there are light and compact air mattresses

anything from 300 grams to 1 kg and folded down to the size of two of my fists

expensive http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermare...24166?pt=AU_Sleeping_Gear&hash=item2a33629146

cheap http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Klym...435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acf8b6ab3

bivvy bag or lightweight bushwalkers swags dont weigh much either

to save carrying 10 kg in water use a small army spec water filter if you think you can dig down to a water table somewhere.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Army-PLA...AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item4cfcd1693c

I have owned this pack for over a year now its made by Eberlestock in the USA. Its called the gun runner. Its an excellent two day pack. If you are a shooter, archer and prospector then this pack is the best all round pack out there. I have just ordered a MOE holder to use as a pick holder and a 200 round ammo pouch to be used for the GPX battery holder. I will fit these when they come in this week and show more pictures if anyone likes. I could not find a Molle system pick holder or Gpx battery holder any where. So i will have to adapt other pouches to suit. :)

1393745068_hire_and_yacht_pics_002.jpg

This is the pack with gun scabbard down and rifle in scabbard. The scabbard on the bottom rolls up inside pack and makes a neat place to store arrows, shovels etc. I place another 2ltr hydro pack in there. There is another place inside the pack to store another 2ltr hydro bladder. The pack has molle webbing in places over it and the waist strap has molle webbing as well.

1393745378_hire_and_yacht_pics_001.jpg

These are 3 pouches that i have and you can place these in all sorts of areas on the pack. I forgot to mention the pouches are made by 5.11 tactical, they well made.

1393745478_hire_and_yacht_pics_003.jpg

This is a picture of pouches attached.

1393745539_hire_and_yacht_pics_004.jpg

This my pack with light weight canvas swag attached with blow up bed inside and double sheet. Its hot up here and a sheet and canvas does the trick. But the bivvy in the previous post would be good to have as well.

Keep it mobile, roscoe :)

"sheez louise" ROSCOE now thats getting kitted up,thats a good looking set up you have put together,the rifle pouch has me worried though,not that im scared of guns its just that i might have to bring 2 FHM mags :eek: ..............(keep your eye on the ball, know what im sayin!!!!!!)...... :lol:

Roscoe, can you use the rifle pouch for a detector? would it be specific to a certain size detector?

dwt, The rifle stays at home mate when i go detecting. I go pig hunting as well. The rifle scabbard folds up and it makes an insulated compartment for water bladders, arrows, tools etc. :)

Diggadan, I can put my GMT gold master in the scabbard. It has a 5x10" coil. :)

I wish the metal detecting industry picks up a bit more on molle webbed packs. They are the way to go for all of your accessories. :)

Latest posts