White's SPP as a coin or relic detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi Guys, my mate Ron down near Bendigo has suggested to get the White's SPP. And after having researched it and listened to his advice, (as he does own one) it's the one I'll get next.

However, will someone advise if they are good at the beach and in parks also?

Yeah sure' but.. You need to learn the machine and fit the conductivity switch, this will just help identifying target signals but it takes along time to be able to tell between the different targets and after a while you can tell a round target.

Great as a beach machine and run with the GB off.
Search google for TDI as a coin hunter it's basically the same machine.

SunriseBoy said:
Hi Guys, my mate Ron down near Bendigo has suggested to get the White's SPP. And after having researched it and listened to his advice, (as he does own one) it's the one I'll get next.

As Zuke said, seems to cover it, All the TDI Range are deep little critters on the beach and for relics and coins but that Conductivity switch helps you home in on the Type of Targets you want, the other 3 TDI's have the other Knobs and switches which help you fine tune the machine,

Good Luck with your choice,

SunriseBoy said:

This post from the AMDRH forum seems as though it's pretty relevant to your query: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=25119.0

Thanks for this boys. As I made a glaring error with my Garrett AT Pro and the PinPointer they make (ha!) I'm endeavouring to be a bit more accurate with my next purchase.

But I do have to confess the AT Pro was good at the beach, but hopeless with gold.

SunriseBoy said:
Thanks for this boys. As I made a glaring error with my Garrett AT Pro and the PinPointer they make (ha!) I'm endeavouring to be a bit more accurate with my next purchase.

But I do have to confess the AT Pro was good at the beach, but hopeless with gold.

When you get the machine you want which ever TDI etc you like, Don't write off VLF machines like the AT pro or any VLF because in old ghost towns and mining camps or parks when the rubbish gets to much for you the VLF might just turn a bad day into a good day, nearly all of use own both types, So you have some Great Times Ahead of you and even Greater Finds.

Good luck Mate,, john

Hi. All. Just my two bobs worth, but I don't use my SPP at the beach. I only use it for prospecting. Quiet as a mouse even with high gain and has no problems pulling tiny shot at reasonable depths with the standard coil. And as a side note I have found 1 &2 dollar coins are not the best for detecting. I've tested and found they can be hard to pick up with a few machines. Must be something in the metal they are made of. $1 was the worst. The SPP is a killer on old silver coins. Found five in a 3 meter circle on the farm. All nice low obvious tones around 8 inches deep.

ronniecruisin said:
And as a side note I have found 1 &2 dollar coins are not the best for detecting. I've tested and found they can be hard to pick up with a few machines. Must be something in the metal they are made of. $1 was the worst.

Which machines are you referring to? :eek: The goldies are a cupro-nickel-aluminium alloy and are the most conductive of our current coins. They sing like songbirds on the Minelab Explorer/E-Trac FBS and Sovereign BBS machines, as well as the Fisher F70 and Whites MXT I'm using and the $1 is best of all, I guess because it's the larger of the two.

With all the TDI line up including the SPP' running it in settings to detect coins, $1 & $2 seem to struggle a little especially with the ground balance at 4' but you will get amazing depth on coppers and silvers.

And $1 & $2 are generally closer to the surface anyway' digging out a 1c or three pence at crazy depths can be annoying at times so running the gain only around 3 or 4 is plenty' and running a larger coil can help with ignoring foil and cigarette paper.

Hi. All. I had problems with the Fors Gold and even the T2 was a bit reluctant to pick up a $1 coin about 7-8 inches laying flat. Although the T2 does like to be swung fast and did pick it up then. I had everything from a 5cent to $2 in a row all the same depth for this test.

I know I said this before, Ron, as much as I'm now cured of anything Garrett, it was dynamite on anything down to about a foot or so. And when I was working Palm Cove, it picked up anything in wet or dry sand.

As I was driving back from Ficks Crossing today, where I'm saddling up to do a bit poking around; I realized that, whenever we discuss detectors, that there's always the Happy Little Vegemites that just have to give us the blessings of their results of 'air tests'.

Now I know I'm the only nut on the forum, but for the life of me, I've never seen any object of any description (and I've never heard of anyone bringing it to our attention) just hanging in the air pleading to be found. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But almost without exception, every object will behave differently in the ground, especially if its been there for some time, than it does in the 'air'.

Please, spare us the 'air tests'?!

SunriseBoy said:
As I was driving back from Ficks Crossing today, where I'm saddling up to do a bit poking around; I realized that, whenever we discuss detectors, that there's always the Happy Little Vegemites that just have to give us the blessings of their results of 'air tests'.

Now I know I'm the only nut on the forum, but for the life of me, I've never seen any object of any description (and I've never heard of anyone bringing it to our attention) just hanging in the air pleading to be found. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But almost without exception, every object will behave differently in the ground, especially if its been there for some time, than it does in the 'air'.

Well maybe this will help, I know of someone who found a piece of Iron Pipe the size of a 2 ltr Coke Bottle at Over 4 feet down, And I found the Subway Tunnel at OVER 6 Feet Down, LOL

Yes they Do Go Deep, Not my Favourite Find So Far but It is My Deepest One, hahahaha :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

SunriseBoy said:

Air tests have a place - to learn the machine tones on differing materials & to compare like for like machines for issues or the same coils again for issues i.e. if one gets better results in the air than the other it would suggest a problem?

I totally agree though, for in-situ targets & real world detector performance they are irrevelant.

mbasko said:
SunriseBoy said:

Air tests have a place - to learn the machine tones on differing materials & to compare like for like machines for issues or the same coils again for issues i.e. if one gets better results in the air than the other it would suggest a problem?

I totally agree though, for in-situ targets & real world detector performance they are irrevelant.

I use Air Tests for Mapping A coils detection field and for checking a detector/ Coil combo's sensitivity, That the Only real use I have found for Air tests, Apart from Play Time when its Raining and I can't go out play.

The spp is ok at relic hunting but if your going to detect parks or other place's with lot's of trash you really need a proper coin/relic machine. Even with the conductivity switch fitted a medium sized low conductor target will cause the spp to "blank" over any high conductor targets lying close by.