Which metal detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the group. I am located in the hunter and would love to buy a detector and get out there. Where to start?

Hi Charlie.
Welcome to the forum.
That's a big question.
What do you want to find? Gold, coins, relics?
Do you want waterproof for beaches etc?
Budget. How much you want to spend?
Have a read through the forum and you will get an idea of what the different machines can do.
They are all different and made for specific uses. Though all will find metal, some are just for gold etc.

Rod

Hi,
My son is extremely interested in getting a metal detector, he is only 11 years old, so I don't really want to fork out thousands of dollars just yet! I do however want to buy something that will work well and do the job.
Any suggestions on what brand to buy would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.
Rachel ?

About how much are you allowing Rachel. ?
Then, What type of detecting. ?
Simple coin hunting or Gold. ?
For that age coin shooting is an extremely engaging past time.

I have a go find 20 for both my boys. They clean the large rubbish up for me in the gold fields whilst I found the yellow stuff. If u sign up at anaconda you can get one for around $170 bucks with membership discount. I was surprised with the go find it picked up a .5gram nugget I placed on the surface.

I thought about starting a new topic
Tell the experience you have with your detector!
Is it a good detector? What is the positive and negative point?
This will help people buy a certain detector.

Gday Joao,
Ace 250
Good for finding coins and Jewellery(but you still dig lots of rubbish if you want to make the finds)
Not too hard to understand how to use it.
Easy to learn to use it.
No numbers to worry about for a first timer at all.
Straight forward pinpointing.
Has notch discrimination.
Has depth meter.
Lasts good on camera quality batteries.
Three different tones to help you identify your finds.
Coil is fully submersible.
So it would be a good starter machine for someone.
Not very good for detecting the wet salty sands at the beach.
Control box cannot be taken under water.

joao garimpeiro said:
Gday silver
I used ace 250 for a long time and it really is an excellent detector
I recon that's the reason I still use mine and hav'nt upgraded at all over the years Joao ,... glad to see you back on board mate ! :Y:

Whites MXT being the best Multipurpose machine around that can hang with the most expensive machines out there at half the price, with well over 40 Coils Available from all corners of the Globe and they have sold in their millions,

Money No Object, It would still be my first Choice when it comes to VLF's, With a GPX-5000/4500 and an SDC to cover all bases, All PI owners should own a Good VLF that Compliments their PI machines that has a dedicated prospecting Mode for hunting around those old mining sites where they left all their junk. And a LF Frequency Machine like the Whites GMT and hopefully the New GM-1000 pending on the field reports, :Y:

John.

Simple - although that question is a bit like asking how long is that piece of string.

But saying that things to consider -

# what ground you intend to detect on e.g. beach :cool:

# what are you looking for e.g. gold :p

# most importantly one you can afford :Y:

Other than that there is "no right detector" in my opinion just the one you own at the time even changing along the way like me :)

Hope this helps.

Good luck :party:

silver said:
joao garimpeiro said:
Gday silver
I used ace 250 for a long time and it really is an excellent detector
I recon that's the reason I still use mine and hav'nt upgraded at all over the years Joao ,... glad to see you back on board mate ! :Y:
Thank you friend
I can not stay away from this forum here have good friends :) :)

Hello everyone hope you're all having a good weekend. I am looking at updating my detector from a gp extreme to a sdc 2300
Just wondered what other people think of the sdc

Please remember to stay on topic re Joao's original post (ie sharing your experiences on your personal detector/s). If you have an general questions regarding specific detectors, please ask them in the "Metal Detectors" section towards the bottom of the main forum page. Thanks guys. :)

Back to the original question.

For me it is the Deus, and without elaborating too much on the technical stuff:
Main application - coin/relic detecting on heavily contaminated sites

Why it suits me:
Above all it is a fun detector to use in the field
I prefer using an audio based detector vs relying on TID's to identify targets
Extremely lightweight (weighs under a kilo), fatigue free detecting
Fully collapsible shaft, takes up very little room
Selectable frequencies
Fast recovery speeds
Unmasking ability
Huge mount of adjustability to suit most sites
Convenience of fully wireless components (no more snagging on branches)
Utilises rechargeable Lipo batteries, very quick to charge
Free software updates allows some futureproofing of the Deus

Negatives:
Can be expensive when optioned up
Not the easiest detector to set up for wet beach detecting
Doesn't ID deep target as well as some other detectors
Not waterproof aside from the coils, headphones are weatherproof.

Why it may suit others thinking about a VLF detector:

Can be setup to run as a very basic easy to use detector
Has pre-set programs to suit both beginners and advance users, with free slots for personally customised programs
Full adjustability means a new user can grow with the detector as experience is gained
The light weight may suit both older and younger detectorists, or those with impairments that no longer allow them to use a heavier detector
A good all-rounder including prospecting duties
You don't need to purchase the most expensive set up to start off with, just the Lite version with the headphones has the ability to fully control the detector
Local support and spares

Latest posts