Where would you dig?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedWaz

Warren
Reaction score
Hello fellow fossickers.. I want to start a thread,where people can get others input. So I will start off

These pics are from private property, that I have access to in Adelong. My question is, In what places would you have a dig?

Looking forward to read your opinions..

Cheers Waz :)

Mate It would be quicker to tell you where I wouldnt dig. I always go cracks first, obstructions second and drop off's third and finally inside bends. That rapid in the last pic looks like you could block it at the top and give it a good clean out. Thats a bloody nice spot mate.

Dig everywhere till you find the green grey clays sitting on bedrock. Looks juicy, lots of cracks to hoover

down from the big crack in the rock on the last pic looks good to me. studied how gold flows through creeks yet? may be worth to check the basics and apply the theory on your spot. by the way - that is a magnificent looking area, well done. very envious of seeing flowing water!!!

I tend to get more result from cracks and crevices when I did test pans in the field. So your spot there show some bedrocks so I would go for that first and see..

Thanks everyone.. We have already found gold here, just about everywhere we dig on this side of the creek.. Still to cold for getting in the water here, runs from the snowies.. I can't wait till it warms up.. What about the gravel layer on the other side, would that be worth looking at?

Cheers Waz

I would definitely like to try the gravel layer and it looks like someone in the past had the same idea. It looks like an inside bend with layers of wash from long ago.

Good luckwith that spot

Cheers

1411560270_where_to_dig.jpg

Test the wash layers. Then that juicy hole right underneath. Any where like in the above where the water rushes due to it being a drop in elevation or narrow section go just in the first section as it slows down again. In the pic above for example just follow that top yellow line across to the left a little just past those Rapids starting in the Centre. 20x has identified by the photo a great spot. But seriously if that creek is gold bearing it has oodles of potential places. Drool zone. Hope it pays and pays for you mate.

TheFossickingKid said:

im more than happy to try and help anyone figure out concerntrations of gold in creeks but i really need your photo's to be parralel with the creek,no onbscurity's and the most important thing is i need to see atleast a section or 2, bend direction of the creek upstream from the spot your interested in. :cool:

20xwater said:

i thought i should add my theory why...

because the inside of the bend before it is hard rock all the material is forced to the outside and and that high face with the wash layer is acting like a choke/squeeze point. then after that at high water the ouside bank widens and that reduces the speed of the flow creating the first drop zone indicated by the larger rocks that are holding there. i have a spot thats different ground and foliated bedrock but nearly an identical scenario right down the to the bend direction but less drop in elevation on the bend. where ive circled is where it was concerntrated the most.....hope this helps mate :cool:

Pardon my ignorance, chaps, but I'm a newbie learning the ropes by reading your posts. I take it that the inside bend of a creek is the one with the shortest travel... something like the way a race car takes the inside of a bend. I gather that it's the inside bend of a creek that is more likely to trap gold. Am I right?

You are right. But remember the creek doesnt always look the same the inside bend may be 5 metres away from where it is now

G0lddigg@ said:
You are right. But remember the creek doesnt always look the same the inside bend may be 5 metres away from where it is now

exactly...look at the highest banks/water line of when a creek is full and in flood. this is when everything in the creek is moving and gold finds its suitable environment to drop out and hold. the pourpose of this post question is to learn to try and identify the obviouse scenario's. personally i think that all creeks have like thier own DNA code that takes time to crack by sampling with a pan :cool:

Latest posts