Where to look!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new the to gold hunting. I know very little actual but am learning! One question. Where would you start looking for gold, its not like you walk out your front door and there's gold! I know maybe creeks or river beds. But what do you look for? All creeks have gold or is it more in the research of the area? Thanks guys

Darn mattcollis,... now that you said it,..... you will have to check outside your front door just incase,.... could be a big nugget,... stranger things have happened,... best of luck with it all,..... here's hoping you don't have to look to far at all. ;)

Yes, stranger things have happened...... Read a story once, in NZ two brothers (old timers) were digging a pathway up to their house, loading up a wheel barrow and then take away and empty it, on one trip, one of them noticed a odd lump, picked it up and found that it was gold, the two brothers then went through all the dirt and never found another piece..... it was a one off, so mate check your back door, maybe even your front, who know where the gold lies..... I have even been told to check the break aways, ounce nuggets have been known to be found there, and yet it is not a gold bearing ground, who knows which way currents and tides have pushed the gold.... yes, you have a better chance at finding gold in worked areas.

Good luck

They recon the young aboriginal children used to pick up the gold because it looked nice, they would carry it around with them,but, no one else would carry the heavy bl00dy thing for them, and so when they got sick of the weight of it they would just discard it,.... thus 80,000 years of once in a while being picked up = a lot of miles of being pretty and getting moved around a fair bit. Thus the old adage," Gold is where you find it" being a left handed ring-in when you factor in all that movement that's not accounted for by natural forces. Gold is where you get it being more or less what you might find if you take in the above info and work out what a 3-13 year old could effectively carry over a certain distance before fatigue sets in"causing a drop"over and over again. :rolleyes: