Where to get woven stainless steel mesh?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm chasing some woven stainless steel mesh or even welded stainless steel mesh to make some sieves up for using when digging for gemstones in the creek.

I'm hoping we might have some steel fabricators as members who might, at the very least be able to point me in the right direction of where I might pick this stuff up (preferably as an off cut)

I did manage to get a couple pieces of stuff from a local security door guy who had some offcuts

One piece is woven stainless steel mesh about 10 mesh I'm guessing. Comparing it to my standard 12" round 1/8inch mesh sieve, I got drill bits to check comparative hole sizes. My round 12", 1/8inch sieve fit a maximum size of 1.5mm drill bit through, where as the piece of mesh that I got would only got 1.0mm drill bit. Its also powder coated black so I guess that coating would make the hole slightly smaller as well.

I got a piece of aluminum punch plate as well. The punch plate is also powder coated black but this has the 1.5mm holes (round holes)

Unfortunately that's the only sizes the guy uses for the security doors so that was all he had, but at least its a good starting point.

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up some 1/8 inch (6 mesh) and some 3/8 or 1/2 inch woven or welded mesh from?

I've tried the usual places like Bunnings, Mitre 10, True Value, Rural Supplies, I even tried calling one fencing place all with out any luck, so far the only win I've had is with this mesh from the security door place but I think its going to be just a whisker to fine.

Cheers
Adam

Next time you're down my way, drop round & I'll give you some 3/8" (I think it is) squared stainless woven. fairly heavy wire though... 1mm+

That other mesh I use in my bucket sieves it's 10-12mm squares. It's light weight, but takes a long time to wear out. I haven't worn any out yet.
It's easy to bend, cut etc.
People use it for rabbit hutches/bird cages etc.

Ditherer and Son said:
Locker Group have the stuff you're after, however they don't do offcuts and charge like wounded bulls.

Yeah I found that both Locker Group and SSWM both have it but they more cater to industry as opposed to consumer that only wants small bits.

I'm hoping I can track down a business that might use it or who might be able to divide a sheet or something.

Cheers
Adam

Ag Man said:
Next time you're down my way, drop round & I'll give you some 3/8" (I think it is) squared stainless woven. fairly heavy wire though... 1mm+

That other mesh I use in my bucket sieves it's 10-12mm squares. It's light weight, but takes a long time to wear out. I haven't worn any out yet.
It's easy to bend, cut etc.
People use it for rabbit hutches/bird cages etc.

Cheers Marty!

The bigger stuff I want is for a pre-classifier so I can shovel into that and be able to very quickly remove the big rocks and stuff and catch the finer stuff below in the 1/8inch mesh. I found that I spent a lot of time picking the bigger rocks out and I'm hoping by having a pre-classifier it'll make the whole process a heap more efficient and reduce the amount of time hunched over picking out rocks saving the back a little. Also I figure if I just so happen to have a sapph or zircon of something that doesn't go though the larger mesh it should be well and truly big enough that I'd see it anyway.

Thanks
Adam,

p.s. don't suppose you remember where you picked up that weave?

I picked it up from a clean up job once. I got 2 or 3 sections of it. The people had used it in a (meat/fish) smoker or something.

For sapphires & other precious stones it's probably helpful to classify down so small but it you're just after the gold & using your MacKirk Boss,
Just screen down to 1/2" max & put it thru.
My little Angus Explorer works great with the 1/2" screened material.

The last few trips out I haven't been classifying at all. Just shoveling straight into the "Boss" and just being watchful of anything tennisball size or bigger that might get stuck. Worked absolutely perfect as I've been able to get the flow rate and depth spot on right. Even though it looks like it was going to fast I ran a few checks and didn't find anything coming out the end, and even if I was losing maybe 5% (which I wasn't) I'd be getting quadruple that simply from saving classifying time.

The sieves I'm planning on making for the gemstone will comprise of 2 sieves that sit intop of each other, one with a pre-classifying mesh of about 10 - 12mm and the the second lower screen with a mesh of about 2mm each measuring about 40-45cm x 65-70cm rectangle so I can fit 4 - 5 shovels of river gravels per sieve.

Adam

I have fine flour sifts at work if your still interested elbowgrease? their commercial s/s sifts 18/8 grade kitchen stainlees probly 0.5mm weave, will check exact size for you tomorrow. Diameter is about 12 inches. Drop me pm if it helps mate.
cheers GW

I'm a fitter at a factory down here and we have been having a huge cleanup of the graveyard and I noticed 1 and 3/4 sheets of stainless mesh in the scrap bin. Brought it for 5 bucks. 5mm square orrifice size and 3mm wire

I had a look at an Ironing board today, the mesh used for them looks about the right size for a HB or sluice box classifier, I guess you could use the frame depending on how it is put together.

Pretty sure you could find a few at the local recycle center or tip shop for not a lot of coin.

Cheers, Tone

Latest posts