Where is permitted to prospect. Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best State for prospecting. :) :)
If you would mind me asking,
what area are you looking at.
When you answer I bet you will get a few other members giving a few straight answers. :) :) :)
I come from NSW but am very highly aware of the rules and regs in Mexico.
You will not be told a golden patch to go to but the answers from members who know the area will be straight and honest.
There has already been a couple of good answers up there but,
Spend a little time to research the area you are looking at then expand from that.
Google is your friend to begin with then a good Data Base of Mapping is essential..
Doug

patchfinder said:
Tathradj said:
No.
Patchfinder, what State do you live in.
An unanswered phone call is not a legitimate excuse.
You can be classified as a visitor to the region you are going to but in common sense,
Please do not get caught in a National Park or conservation area.
If you say that the reason you are on this bit of turf based on your ignorance ie; I did not know, No one answered my phone call,
Trust me, You will be walking out with just your wallet and the cloth's on your back plus then have to face a huge fine and court cost's
to begin with.
Fair enough about signage within a small window but mate,
Do your research properly.
Not based on that one.
And besides, You have chosen to be guided by a lot of good knowledgeable people on here so sit back and wait.

I live in Victoria.

Sorry,
Got to say it,
You for real. ? :| :|

Devonian said:
There's big nuggets to be found in them hills. Bend those laws like an elastic band and LIVE THE MOMENT WHILE YOU STILL CAN BROTHER! :lol:

Devonian said:
There's big nuggets to be found in them hills. Bend those laws like an elastic band and LIVE THE MOMENT WHILE YOU STILL CAN BROTHER! :lol:

Sorry mate I got carried away. Actually you have to stop and sit in front of a computer and slow down. . . . . This is what retirement is all about.
And I am not joking when I say buy a comfortable cushion.
You can sell the detector at 1/10 of the price you paid for it after you read every reply. :lol:

Tathradj said:
Sorry,
Got to say it,

Devonian said:

I am wondering this myself, Tathradj?

Devonian seems to have an attitude against Rules & Regulations and is urging members to do as they please? :mad:

Yeah,
I could see where this could lead and I do not normally wade in as if to say.
I hope that some one will inform Patchfinder on a spot that he will be happy with.
Thank You.
Apology is for all of us mate. :) :)
Accepted and Thank You again.

Hi Chewy, I have been detecting for over 10 years, I have a 10 years Miners Right, My first detector was a Minelab SD2200d, then Gp3500, GPX 4500, GPX 5000, but since the release of the GPZ 7000 I am more cautious
to where I will be detecting, $ 10.700 plus accessories is a lot of money and I do not want to risk of loosing it, because For me detecting is just a hobby I do not want to take risks if is not necessary, this is the reason I am asking to people with more experience than me.
Cheers

Tathradj said:
Yeah,
I could see where this could lead and I do not normally wade in as if to say.
I hope that some one will inform Patchfinder on a spot that he will be happy with.
Thank You.
Apology is for all of us mate. :) :)
Accepted and Thank You again.

Maybe I did not explain myself very well, I did not ask for a spot where I can be happy, I was asking if some one can explain to me the difference between the different type of bush and which is safer to detect not risking to loose my detector.

patchfinder said:
Hi Chewy, I have been detecting for over 10 years, I have a 10 years Miners Right, My first detector was a Minelab SD2200d, then Gp3500, GPX 4500, GPX 5000, but since the release of the GPZ 7000 I am more cautious
to where I will be detecting, $ 10.700 plus accessories is a lot of money and I do not want to risk of loosing it, because For me detecting is just a hobby I do not want to take risks if is not necessary, this is the reason I am asking to people with more experience than me.
Cheers
Sorry Patchfinder, my mistake mate, you are definitely not a newby then. Lol There are some pretty good map books around, like The John Tully maps, which can usually be bought from a local prospecting supplies shop pretty much anywhere in the golden triangle. They are broken into different areas of the goldfields and cost about 22 bucks each. Very handy to have if you're not sure of where to go. Still check on geovic website with a crown land layer just make sure. Good hunting with the new zed, and congrats on getting such a great new machine. :)

State Forests are safest options.

Followed by link to maps showing were one can go within Paddy,s ranges for example.
I think in Maryborough there is a Parks or DEPI office and they will know better than CBD uni educated idiots! ;)

Devonian.
I do not wish to inflame you nor aggravate you in any way as some time I would like to sit around a camp fire some day and have a beer.
A person has come along asking a straight question only to be led along a path that none of us would like to see.
I am sorry for answering back like this but what you are stating is defiantly not in the true spirit of what we all stand for in this forum.
Please note that your comments I would say are not far off a surprise.
Please Mate, Hold off on the upper echelons comment and just go with the flow.
Apologies to Patchfinder.
Doug

Devonian said:
Swinging & digging said:
Tathradj said:
Sorry,
Got to say it,

Devonian said:

I am wondering this myself, Tathradj?

Devonian seems to have an attitude against Rules & Regulations and is urging members to do as they please? :mad:

Yeh bloody oaf I am!

Don't become a statistic of some soft brain twitted fool, don't sits in front of a computer listening to retired oldies that couldn't do it and telling you how you can't do it.

Get out there and enjoy the bush and find heaps of gold.
Don't ever let someone say you can not because they could not
They are the one's with the illness not you:p

Tathradj said:
LOL,
I wish to spend the rest of my time out side.
Not behind a desk or Bars my friend. :lol:

And that's why you tell everyone else NO.

You just need to set aside time to get outside

A bit more organisation to at least get you out there.

Otherwise you will be trapped and become unwell.

Which is not good for the inner soul BROTHER.

You'll find you get argumentative with everyone around you and it will be all their fault, not yours.

Sometimes it can only takes a couple of hours of getting away.

Whether it be with a pan, sluice or detector.

But it works.

And you come back feeling like a new man. :)

http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...-prospecting-and-fossicking/prospecting-guide

Above is the best available reference, however the parts I've made bold leave a little too much wiggle room for comfort 'most State Forests, many Reserves and private property with landholder's consent.'

http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...requently-asked-questions-about-miners-rights

Best bet is the above site, then finding under 'Miners Right Agents' one nearest you (that list won't load correctly in Internet Explorer 11 so try another browser if you use that normally) or within the area of interest. It would be preferable to have a more complete list than a general reference, like there is in my first link for Parks with permitted areas for prospecting, given the outlay on equipment and risks of losing it when unintentionally participating in the hobby where not permitted.

Guys I am sorry that because of me or the question I was asking is creating friction between members, I had the answers that I needed, so please lets be cool and enjoy this beautiful hobby of us.
I usually go around Castlemaine, Maldon area, or Talbot, Clunes area, so if you see a white Pathfinder, stop to say hallo, I will be happy to meet some of you.
Cheers

Best bet is looking at GeoVic 3, as mentioned above, use the crown land overlay but also check the restricted area's & heritage area's as well. I recently rang the Earth Resources Info Centre & didn't really get much help, I told the bloke about the area I wanted to detect & that it had a small part covered by a heritage inventory & a fair bit covered by a plantation overlay, but there is no plantation, just overgrown bush, same for the heritage inventory area, nothing had been taken care of there.
His reply was to just stick to crown land & other legally allowed area's & for area's like I told him about, he just said to use common sense, if the bush is over grown & not maintained then it should be fine as long as its crown land. So not even the main people in the know have a real good idea of where we can go & what some area's mean. He said its a very complicated section of the rules as many area's are controlled by many different organisations.
Like GeoVic though, there is also a similar map site for heritage area's & a parks one as well, all could come in handy.

Latest posts