When I was a lot younger

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
service stations would fill up your car and check the water and oil and at no extra cost

I was 15, had just quit school and this was my first job.
I lasted only 2 weeks - I kept forgetting to put the petrol caps back on.
After 2 weeks we had a cardboard box full of caps.
The boss decided I was not cut out to be a "bowser boy".

My Memories ......
Saturday afternoon flix - cost six pence and we sat on wooden benches (we watched Hopalong Cassiday, and The Lone Ranger).
Weekends and school holidays - a quick breakfast, out the door and not seen again till dinner time (punished if home late for dinner).
9 or 10yo - us kids camping out up in the bush and miles from home. No adults and no one worried.
Early hours of the morning once a week - bang, clang out in the back yard - the "dunny man" changing over the can.
Playing doctors with the young girl next door. :)
On my way out the door on my way to school, my late grandad who lived with us, would sneak threepence into my hand to buy lollies.
Being shot in the leg with a homemade arrow (4" nail tied to a stick).
Surfing.
Skateboarding (home made - roller skate bolted to the bottom of a board).
Fishing for poddy mullet and eels in some of the local creeks.
Never wore shoes - bottom of the feet were as hard as old leather.
Playing cricket on the road in front of our house.
14th February 1966 - decimal currency commenced - received my first new, shiny, decimal coin in change from the bus driver on the way to school.
Puppy love with a girl in my class at school - we'd look at each other, blush and be too shy to talk - wonder where she is today and what she looks like?
Playing cowboys and indians with toy guns, bows and arrows.
Waiting for Santa Clause to arrive on Xmas morning.
Looking out the window late at night watching the lightning during a thunderstorm - I still love watching and hearing thunderstorms.
One morning before school in 1964, watching the news images on TV - HMAS Melbourne had collided with and sank HMAS Voyager (82 lives lost) - Unknown then, I would later join the navy and serve on HMAS Sydney taking troops to the Vietnam War. (some good friends were on HMAS Melbourne in 1969 when it later collided with the US destroyer, USS Frank E. Evans - 74 lives lost). R.I.P. all the those young lives lost.
Aged 15 and a half, leaving home to enter the Navy - training for 12 months at HMAS Leeuwin, Fremantle. WA. - first time away from mum and dad. 8.(
Driving my first car - a 1964 Ford Zephyr no licence and 5 minutes later doing 100mph up the highway. ]:D

Chiron52 said:
7.62marksman said:
service stations would fill up your car and check the water and oil and at no extra cost

I was 15, had just quit school and this was my first job.
I lasted only 2 weeks - I kept forgetting to put the petrol caps back on.
After 2 weeks we had a cardboard box full of caps.
The boss decided I was not cut out to be a "bowser boy".

My Memories ......
Saturday afternoon flix - cost six pence and we sat on wooden benches (we watched Hopalong Cassiday, and The Lone Ranger).
Weekends and school holidays - a quick breakfast, out the door and not seen again till dinner time (punished if home late for dinner).
9 or 10yo - us kids camping out up in the bush and miles from home. No adults and no one worried.
Early hours of the morning once a week - bang, clang out in the back yard - the "dunny man" changing over the can.
Playing doctors with the young girl next door. :)
On my way out the door on my way to school, my late grandad who lived with us, would sneak threepence into my hand to buy lollies.
Being shot in the leg with a homemade arrow (4" nail tied to a stick).
Surfing.
Skateboarding (home made - roller skate bolted to the bottom of a board).
Fishing for poddy mullet and eels in some of the local creeks.
Never wore shoes - bottom of the feet were as hard as old leather.
Playing cricket on the road in front of our house.
14th February 1966 - decimal currency commenced - received my first new, shiny, decimal coin in change from the bus driver on the way to school.
Puppy love with a girl in my class at school - we'd look at each other, blush and be too shy to talk - wonder where she is today and what she looks like?
Playing cowboys and indians with toy guns, bows and arrows.
Waiting for Santa Clause to arrive on Xmas morning.
Looking out the window late at night watching the lightning during a thunderstorm - I still love watching and hearing thunderstorms.
One morning before school in 1964, watching the news images on TV - HMAS Melbourne had collided with and sank HMAS Voyager (82 lives lost) - Unknown then, I would later join the navy and serve on HMAS Sydney taking troops to the Vietnam War. (some good friends were on HMAS Melbourne in 1969 when it later collided with the US destroyer, USS Frank E. Evans - 74 lives lost). R.I.P. all the those young lives lost.
Aged 15 and a half, leaving home to enter the Navy - training for 12 months at HMAS Leeuwin, Fremantle. WA. - first time away from mum and dad. 8.(
Driving my first car - a 1964 Ford Zephyr no licence and 5 minutes later doing 100mph up the highway. ]:D
The Vung Tau Ferry, enjoyed my trip home in that ship.

I was still only 16 when I served on "the Ferry" and I made friends with many of the troops we had on board.
I still wonder to this day how they fared but don't remember any of their names.
(Oz government denied kids were ever in the war zone but "The Ferry" was one of the navy's training ships at the time. Many 16 year olds served on her during the war.)

Me and "The Ferry".

1538640583_navy1.jpg

Chiron52 said:
I was still only 16 when I served on "the Ferry" and I made friends with many of the troops we had on board.
I still wonder to this day how they fared but don't remember any of their names.
(Oz government denied kids were ever in the war zone but "The Ferry" was one of the navy's training ships at the time. Many 16 year olds served on her during the war.)

Me and "The Ferry".
The tucker was good too, and was looked after well. thank you.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10176/1538640583_navy1.jpg

Hard Luck said:
Frozen Glug, Sunny Boy's and Razz.

I remember the excitement after finishing a glug, rip open the paper and foil to see if I scored a free one! Got a fair few freebies to!
Also remember early primary school days at curl curl, milk in bottles, lick the cream from the foil lid, at little lunch!
I could imagine the mums and dads today .....broken glass, etc etc

The school dentist, always got empty syringes to play water pistols with after wards, imagine today, 6-8 year olds running around the playground with empty syringes!!!! :eek:

Getting the brand new twin cassette deck (the original boom box). Recording songs off the radio or Countdown on it, and shushing anyone who walked in and started talking, so they didn't wreck the recording. With a family of seven - someone always did! :argh:

Going to my grandparents place in Balaclava (an inner Melbourne suburb) in Autumn and seeing heaps of people burning piles of Plane Tree leaves in the gutter.
Burning our rubbish in the incinerator in the back yard - everyone had one!

Going to the library with dad after dinner in our PJ's.

Going to the tip with dad on a Sunday and coming home with a lot of great stuff! :)

Being pushed around the streets on the billy cart, collecting cans and bottles for refunds. Went car to car at the local footy game and collected cans from them too!

Going mushrooming and blackberrying at the other grandparents' place in Gippsland, and grandma would make an awesome blackberry pie for dessert. Back when dinner always had dessert - but only if you ate all your dinner first! And if you didn't like it - tough - you went without!
Back chatting your parents or being bad, would get you sent to your room without dinner.

Playing Scarecrow Tiggy and Five Stone in the front yard.
Hopscotch and Jacks. Swap cards. Pickup Sticks, Chinese Checkers and Ludo. Monopoly and Cluedo.
Yabbying and catching skinks in the back paddocks and dams. Spending all day roaming miles with a bucket and having a great time. Parents had no idea where we were, and didn't worry about us either. We were home for dinner... (Wouldn't happen these days!)

Lying on the driveway on hot nights watching the planes fly overhead. We were on the final approach flight path to Tullamarine and they were so low, we could see the passengers in them! Our windows rattled when they flew over.

I remember watching the Concorde flying into Tullamarine on one of it's rare trips to Australia, and hearing the sonic boom after it had passed by. That really rattled the windows!

And going for a drive on the Tullamarine Freeway when it was finally finished (all stages from the airport to Flemington) and opened to traffic. No tolls either!

A couple of posts have mentioned Deadly Earnest, who hosted Aweful Movies on 10 in Sydney, with other versions of the show in different States, all with a different actor playing Deadly. The NSW host was Ian Bannerman and Shane Porteus who later played Dr. Terence Elliot in A Country Practice got his start in the Brisbane version.

It switched to Channel 7 in NSW in 1972, as Creature Features.

Does anyone remember the intro to Creature Features? It went something like

"put out the cat (meow), close the door (creaking door sound), turn out the light (sound effect and screen went dark) It's time for Creature Feature (in a creepy voice).

But after all that time, I'm not at all sure that's accurate!

When i was around 5-6 we were on a small farm,i cant remember much from then but my brother was probably about 12-13,he had a mate over for a cuppla days,there was an old ruined mud brick house about a klm away and they had a camp over up there with there slug guns.
I had this blue robot,flashing lights,walked and the arms moved etc,it didnt leave my side,it was the ultimate toy,i remember going up to see warren and woody in the morning at there camp.
The pair of turds got hold of my robot and put it on a fence post and blasted it to bits with there sluggys,i imagine warren got into a bit of strife,cant remember alot besides the robot in bits...... :D

We have a big steep hill where I live, when my Sister and I were younger our Dad made us a go cart..box on the the back to sit it and bindatwine in the front axle to steer with. We painted in flamingo pink...my sister's choice. We called it psycho 1. One day I went on a mind bender ride down the hill went off to the side and hit a big pine tree. Busted it in half and I amazingly escaped any real injury. So Dad made us Psyco 2 that got broken as well. Basically wore it out. Dam big hill. Now we have B doubles traversing the road.

I work for a pest control company. They have an old full page ad from a newspaper with a picture of a mum spraying DDT around little Johnnie's bedroom to kill the flies and mozzies... Oh how times have changed! Definitely for the better there!