whats the best treasure dector out there have atpro wanting to upgrade

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you're going to get a few different answers but I have two questions first.
What about the at is not good enough and sorts of places you want to detect? (Might guide the answers)
What sort of budget are you working with? (Not alot of point recommending a 3030 or such if it's above your budget) ;)

The 3030 is an excellent choice. Minelab though have made them very expensive from new once you include accessories and extra coils. I cannot say they are the best undoubtedly though very capable. The best machine title is debatable depending on application and user bias. The tones alone can be quite an annoyance.

The 3030 can be sourced preowned at very economical prices if that was direction you wished to persue however I would caution one over riding factor. They are heavy and poorly balanced. The average user right handed will be laboured after an hour and very much so after 2. This may be only a circumstantial problem but in comparison to detectors such as at pro you will immediately notice how fatiguing this becomes in use quite starkly and immediately.

I shall watch the thread contributions also with much interest.

Read somewhere about a harnesses, that practically make the detector weightless on your arm.

Most of the Minelab multi frequency detectors are reasonably heavy, yes they can be fatiguing at first, but you do get used to the weight over time. If that is an issue, you may want to look at an extremely lightweight unit like the XP Deus or considering using a harness. If you don't require the detector to be waterproof, or have features like GPS and a wireless setup, then an Etrac may also be something worth considering at near on $1000 less.

It really is hard to make a definitive recommendation on a detector that will suit someone else, a lot of it comes down to personal preferences on features, ergonomics, and the area it is to be used in. Sometimes it just takes a leap of faith to simply give a certain detector a go, it may or may not gel with you, even after some long term usage, or it may turn out to be a perfect choice. :)

I own and use an xp deus.

Around 930 grams in weight total.

Super light, super fast recovery and is brilliant
In separating the goodies among iron.

The software on the machine is upgradeable
And free And with the right purchased extras
you can use it in water.

There are 4 frequency options and has a gold
Program with a hot rock notch type feature.

The machine has an iron volume and a nice
Discrimination system and you can swing it
All day.

Its a fun machine to use and cost me
about $1500 Last year.

Hope this helps.

I say this with sincerity wolf I'd love to see that deus in action one day. What sort of depth can you drag out of it on the coins, deep BBs, small silvers and such?

Goldtarget said:
I say this with sincerity wolf I'd love to see that deus in action one day. What sort of depth can you drag out of it on the coins, deep BBs, small silvers and such?

No worries.

Its a great machine. I have pulled out silvers at
around 7" mark with nice Clear tones but where i
Detect the ground has no added soil.

I have heard of $1 coins being found at 12"
Down the beach as well. Depth also depends
though on frequency settings and whether you
are Using the reactivity setting on it.

If you want to find deep silvers you may need to
use one of the Lower frequency setting though.

I have added the video below for you. Many more on
Youtube.

Edit: Just noticed the demo below that
discrimination Is being used as well.

The other thing is if you buy an extra coil
And shaft you will end up with 2 detectors.

One will Run on the remote and the other
on the Headset module.

In the end buy what suits you and have
Fun.

Hope this helps.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/-HY2LjyMb5k[/video]

Ramjet said:
The 3030 is almost 1 kilo heavier than the At Pro.

Here is a comparison between the Pro and the 3030. A good site where you can read reviews and compare detectors.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/compare.php?x=284&y=241

The 3030 is only a tiny bit (60g) heavier than the SDC which I can swing most of the day with no problem. Still heavier than a lot of other treasure hunting detectors though.

Wolfau said:
Goldtarget said:

No worries.

Its a great machine. I have pulled out silvers at
around 7" mark with nice Clear tones but where i
Detect the ground has no added soil.

I have heard of $1 coins being found at 12"
Down the beach as well. Depth also depends
though on frequency settings and whether you
are Using the reactivity setting on it.

If you want to find deep silvers you may need to
use one of the Lower frequency setting though.

I have added the video below for you. Many more on
Youtube.

Edit: Just noticed the demo below that
discrimination Is being used as well.

The other thing is if you buy an extra coil
And shaft you will end up with 2 detectors.

One will Run on the remote and the other
on the Headset module.

In the end buy what suits you and have
Fun.

Hope this helps.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/-HY2LjyMb5k[/video]

I agree, I have seen the Deus pull coins at 17" on a Demo, Multi Frequency Machines are Useless on Junk Filled sites, The V3i has a bit of a Learning Curve, and the MXT's Are A Good all rounder and Deep too,

One important thing to remember though depending where you live Australia is a young country
hence unless soil has been added ontop of the old surface most coins will be found around 6" to 8"
inches. I have found pennies going back 50 years at only 4". It also depends on the soil and what sits
under it eg gravel and how soft it is and so on. So for this depth range there are many nice detectors
to choose from and you don't need to spend a small fortune but this is the choice of the buyer though.

The v3i is a very nice machine. Takes time to learn though.

The v3i in my opinion needs to have the ability to allow you to choose which 2 frequencies you want to
choose from the 3 available. What it then needs is for the v3i to block out the signals that would come
through from the blocked frequency. If the next upgrade allows you to do this its going to be one of the best
detectors on the market for detecting silver coins in high aluminium screw cap areas.
With this setup you then blockout the frequency where the aluminium screw caps come through which
is the middle frequency from memory I think its arlound the 12. Silver coins and our $1 and $2 coins fall
under the low frequency while most gold items fall on the higher frequency.

So if this did work the way as I described it then you no longer detect the aluminium screw caps which is
a real pain in some places though you may miss other targets if it falls under this frequency range.

Nothing is bullet proof until one day if we have the ability to detect and see whats in the ground.

Single VLF detectors have come a long way depth wise and discrimination wise since the introduction of
a multifrequency detectors though.

In the end its all about having fun and you have a few different options to consider.

Good luck with it.

Hey Wolf, is the Deus waterproof? That will be important for me as some of the busiest beaches in Australia are 5 mins from my place. Would need a waterproof coil at least.

Heatho said:
Hey Wolf, is the Deus waterproof? That will be important for me as some of the busiest beaches in Australia are 5 mins from my place. Would need a waterproof coil at least.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJayBqB7d-s[/video]

http://www.metaldetector.com/xp-deus-under-water-kit

I am not here to sell the Deus though but its another option and there are a few.

Thought I would add to the thread since it was mentioned.

Edit: On the last check the Deus in Australia retails for $1750 and if you buy an extra coil and handle
for it you end up with 2 detectors. One uses a remote with normal headphones and the other with
headphones.

XP Metal Detectors just about make everything in house and the next software upgrade should be available
shortly. A forum member has also found a nugget with one.

Wolfau said:
Heatho said:

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJayBqB7d-s[/video]

http://www.metaldetector.com/xp-deus-under-water-kit

I am not here to sell the Deus though but its another option and there are a few.

Thought I would add to the thread since it was mentioned.

Edit: On the last check the Deus in Australia retails for $1750 and if you buy an extra coil and handle
for it you end up with 2 detectors. One uses a remote with normal headphones and the other with
headphones.

XP Metal Detectors just about make everything in house and the next software upgrade should be available
shortly. A forum member has also found a nugget with one.

You're the most experienced Deus user here I think. :) It is a state of the art unit, the final decision will be difficult now.

17 inch with a deus? Was this a live demo? I'm interested in soil type and size of target!

I can get 10 consistently and deeper if conditions and target are right. I'm sitting here a little stunned. I detect in mostly high mineralization and love mild hunts if I can find them. I've put a few detectors side by side but looks like I'll have to send a shout out to a deus owner to have a swing with. Might be worth thinking about a swap/ upgrade if the deus can go that deep it must be deadly from 0-8 inch whereby I would retrieve about 85% of good targets.

Goldtarget said:
17 inch with a deus? Was this a live demo? I'm interested in soil type and size of target!

I can get 10 consistently and deeper if conditions and target are right. I'm sitting here a little stunned. I detect in mostly high mineralization and love mild hunts if I can find them. I've put a few detectors side by side but looks like I'll have to send a shout out to a deus owner to have a swing with. Might be worth thinking about a swap/ upgrade if the deus can go that deep it must be deadly from 0-8 inch whereby I would retrieve about 85% of good targets.

It was A Live Demo at a Detector Rally and they Had an XP Rep there showing different set ups and the soil was medium type soil and he got it to see an old Penny at 17" in that ground,

QUOTE:- WolfAu Said, One important thing to remember though depending where you live Australia is a young country
hence unless soil has been added ontop of the old surface most coins will be found around 6" to 8"
inches. I have found pennies going back 50 years at only 4". It also depends on the soil and what sits
under it eg gravel and how soft it is and so on. So for this depth range there are many nice detectors
to choose from END QUOTE,

Regardless Of A Countries Age, Has Very Little to do with How Deep Coins are Found, I am finding 1900-1930s Coins at 13+ inches,,, Yet I am Finding Roman Coins From 150 AD in the Top 5 inches and Silver coins from 1247 AD in the 3 to 6 inch Range,, I found a very badly worn William IV Silver Four Pence (about the size of the PRE DEC Shilling) at only 3" deep, Although the Sink Rate Varies Rain and Ground usage and WORMS Play A Massive Part As to what Depth Coins Are Found At along with the Weight of the Coins, With VLF machines Rain will boost a VLFs Depth and if you use A Machine After A Thunder Storm That will also Boost Depth because the Ground also Becomes Charged Boosting the Signals In the Ground, Under such Conditions A VLF WILL Find Coins Deeper Than they can see them In Air Tests and in Some Cases Deeper Than A PI Machine in Normal Ground,

My Musketeer Advantage Blew The Doors of My GP3500 under such Condition, with the Musky using the standard 10" Coil and the 3500 with the Standard 11" DD, Although That was not the right Conditions for the GP,

If you want to get Serious Depth from your VLFs then Go out searching 1 to 2 Days after a good rain or within Hours after A Thunder Storm. But don't use it in A Storm, lol.

One other thing to remember is Many Experts Claim that there Is no Such thing as the HALO Effect, Well that Is Not True Because I found a UK Copper Penny and it was stuck to a big Lump of soil, I noticed that when I pulled the Coin off of it that The Soil was covered with A Green Staining where the Coin Had Been, So I Kept the soil and put it In A Plastic Bag and took it home, That soil gave off a signal but after a few months it dried out and No longer made a signal so I sprayed the Green Area again with Water and sure enough It signalled Again, SO that Green staining was helping boost the Signal which Is why I found the Penny so deep, Hence the Halo effect, I found that Coin 2 inches deeper than my machine at the Time could even AIR TEST It, Food for thought though?? Is'nt it.

Hope this Helps,, John

Latest posts