What was your first Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Interested to know what was your first machine and how many times have you "upgraded"
May be an idea to hide this from the other half!

My initiation was a Groundhog.
Pic the other day.

1376643780_20130812_124814.jpg

and the original ad from (think it was in Popular Mechanics?)

1376643872_grondhog.jpg

I have the original pamphlet from the miners den somewhere, will try and find it, but recall it cost $660.00, quite a bit back then.
Ron

I got hooked about 1997 and used to hire a SD2100 every weekend for ages, until i got enough money for the latest and greatest which was a GP Extreme.

Broke my neck and sold up, but missed detecting so in April 2012 I bought a Garrett At pro in November 2012 i bought a CTX 3030 and in March 2013 i bought myself a bargain basement SD2200V2 box that hadnt had much use which i have just finished refurbishing. I switched my swing arm from right to left and have no problems handling 8 hour+ days

6fhh.jpg

Basic coin/relic setup more gear has been added to this collection. :eek:
tools2y.jpg

Gold Bug Pro was my first. Onto my third coin/relic machine and second gold oriented PI machine. I also have a chinese cheapy that my son says is his. I am ok with that.

Found the original pamphlet from the Miners Den

1376646458_md1.jpg

Hey ATD, Picking up a SD200D from my FIL this weekend.
Should compliment the 5K my missus runs.

The first detector I ever used was my uncle's brand new Garrett Deepseeker. I think I was about 19 and thought it was the duck's guts, except for the fact that I could only swing it for about an hour due to the weight and my weedy little arms.

Au

Hello All,

My first detector was a Dick Smith kit that you put together, that was in the mid to late 70,s, not long after from what I recall was a coin seeker 6000?. Then a real crappy thing from Tandy, I think it was late 80,s when I picked up my Minelab XT17000 and last August purchased a GPX5000 together with a pro-find 25 it helps sort out the junk realy fast.
Wifey has been shooting a few coins with the old banger so I think a new machine is just around the corner.

I can feel a fever coming on.

chow

I'm the same as Paul, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. Then Minelab Xterra 50, 70, 705 (all great units). Now E-trac and Excalibur. At this stage I don't see any need to update as they're finding all the great stuff both on land and in the water.

The first one I used was a bounty hunter 840. I was only little and didn't have a clue what was happening. Dads still got it at home. My first was a ADS1 deepseeker. Bought it from a bloke in Canberra that repairs them for a hobby. Not really good on small stuff but was fun.

My one & only is a compass relic magnum 5 I got from miners den Parramatta 30 odd years ago. Have not found any gold with it, just can tabs, bullets, barb wire and the like. However, I mainly sluice and pan.

My first detector was an old tandy. Then a Garrett ace 350,3rd outing I found a small 18ct diamond ring near Merewether ocean baths. Next was a Garrett AT Pro, what a great machine this has been. Then I bought a fisher impulse detector (PI) in America and it used to pick up deep objects on the beach but it was so heavy even with the control box on my belt.

Garrett Ace 250 - it recouped it's cost in just over a week.Got me hooked, I upgraded to an AT Pro and my two kids share the 250.They're already finding coins and loving it.

Latest posts