What is it

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martye77

Marty
Reaction score
Hi all

Im New to this forum and new to prospecting.

Was up at Kamarooka ( Rush Dam) last weekend and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what I was looking at.

1548746976_rushdam.jpg

Man made obviously ploughed with old machinery, looks like tailings from Puddler or maybe the cyanide dump ?????

Regards Marty

Low depression in the ground Normally fills with water in good years. You can find then in west and north of vic

A previous surfaced area? I'm seeing parallel lines or is it just me viewing on an old ipad mini screen?

Poorly revegged area. Circle of trees 'hiding' the work done?

Nah. We call it a Baby sinkhole Some form collapse of the surface layer When it fills with water it will deepen over time. In a million years

Id support the sinkhole theory from eons of time being filled with water the mostly the circle of trees further by saying as it fills with water it would deposit all the dry bark leaves n branches on mass around the rim leaving perfect mulch as water drains. Over time with a multitude of this process, the layer breaks down allowing the tree line to prosper in a super organic rim. The soil inside n out of the depression are suffering from a normal low nutrient Aussie bush. correct me if Im wrong its all I can come up with from my veggie garden knowledge.

Had a quick look
1548768423_screenshot_2019-01-29-23-22-39.jpg

so down and to the left
1548768583_screenshot_2019-01-29-23-21-44.jpg

to me that looks like lines in bedrock.... probably folded at 90* way back in ancient times..... you'd recon they coulda acted like rifles where the water flowed across em the right way (if only that water was dragging gold along eh ;) ;) )

Hi and thank you to those that took my post seriously.
Its a shame some people just seemed to make fun of it.
Thanks to Silver, yes you are correct down and to the left is a Surfaced area.
The circle im looking at has ploughed ground and is all red gravel and quartz through out.
Thanks to Rockhunter62.
Samrota - No your ipad is fine, you are seeing lines in the ground from the ploughing, it looks to be levelling of old tailings. The old plough rippers i found were pretty rusty and used.
It must have some history somewhere, I may try Bendigo historians.

Once again thanks to those that tried and good hunting.

Regards Marty

could be just an area were they tested a plough of some sort reps would bring them out and go to town on an area go in circles around things to show what it was able to do we have something very similar on one of our clay pans where they pulled a stick breaker type plough and from the air it looks like a speedway track and all the saplings grew well were it was ploughed

Not sure but very interesting, the vegetation looks to be post ploughing. Possible as sb said a test plough site leaving a depression allowing the trees and shrubs to take hold. Given the plough lines run through it equal to those outside suggest post imo. Can you give the size of the area, width, circumstance and have you walked the ground.

It could be an old mining claim. To restore the site, It had to have windrows dozed across the fall of the slope to combat erosion. sometimes it also had to be deep ripped between the windrows so seeds and rain water could drop into the ripped lines. That's what I'm seeing anyway. No windrows etc., no bond back! wiley

Martye77 said:
Hi and thank you to those that took my post seriously.
Its a shame some people just seemed to make fun of it.
Thanks to Silver, yes you are correct down and to the left is a Surfaced area.
The circle im looking at has ploughed ground and is all red gravel and quartz through out.
Thanks to Rockhunter62.
Samrota - No your ipad is fine, you are seeing lines in the ground from the ploughing, it looks to be levelling of old tailings. The old plough rippers i found were pretty rusty and used.
It must have some history somewhere, I may try Bendigo historians.

Once again thanks to those that tried and good hunting.

Regards Marty
Yeah... we all ad lib a lot of fun on here as we go.... shooting from the hip so to speak lol :perfect:

Could it be an area of subsidence caused by an old alluvial deep lead drift that has been mined out underground. THere are a few of these areas between Chiltern and Rutherglen that just look like swamps. Are there any deep lead mines in the area.

Latest posts