What Gold/Metal Detector To Buy?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Just starting out had a bit of luck panning for gold in the Snowy Mountains NSW.

Im very interested in putting in the hard yards with a gold detector.

I have heard that you can detect for gold in state forests just wondering if anyone could help me out. (What detector to buy and potential areas to look).

Thanks so much for your help.

1547980403_ea9a8ca5-995e-4c89-a27e-e863c411b2b5.jpg

I use a qed
The new kid on the block.
For value I believe that it's a great first detector
As with every detector
Learning the machines niches is the key to success
Good luck

Hi Alison,
You can detect in NSW State Forests but you need to get a permit & check it's allowable in the forest your looking to go to. Most do allow fossicking but some may have areas that are off limits. Permit details, maps etc. on the link below:
https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking
There's a lot of National Parks in your area & fossicking is normally not allowed in them. You would need to contact your local NPWS office to apply for fossicking permission.
Detector would depend on a lot of factors like budget, gold only or considering parks/beaches etc.

Hi
What do you think of the best metal detectors for sale on minersden.com.au and what would you choose?

Thanks

Minelab Yes ,you do not need the most expensive detector ,we are using new 4500s you can pick them up new for about $3500 they are a well proven detector 3 years warranty all good regards john :Y: :)

Hi Alison 11, I totally agree with John. I ended up buying the 5000, but from what I understand there is not a massive amount of difference between that and the 4500.

I had intended to trade up to the much more expensive 7000, but as I was still finding gold on a regular basis with the 5000, thought what's the point.

For the difference in price, you can interchange and upgrade your coils to provide options for a range of situations. The game changer for me was buying a 15" Evo Nugget finder coil.

I personally reckon that it's best to be patient and learn and understand how to use the machine and importantly where to look. Having the flashest and most expensive is not always the best return on your investment and doesn't guarantee results.

mbasko said:
Hi Alison,
You can detect in NSW State Forests but you need to get a permit & check it's allowable in the forest your looking to go to. Most do allow fossicking but some may have areas that are off limits. Permit details, maps etc. on the link below:
https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking
There's a lot of National Parks in your area & fossicking is normally not allowed in them. You would need to contact your local NPWS office to apply for fossicking permission.
Detector would depend on a lot of factors like budget, gold only or considering parks/beaches etc.

Thanks Mbasko.

Latest posts