What can't you live without?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah a friend of mine has lost a lot of big dogs to tiger snakes over the years...... I think big dogs must just be too slow. I have a team of 4 Jack Russell Terriers. I have come home to find dead Browns in the dog run with them, and of course they have nabbed many around the house. Maybe having so many dogs and that they are little the snake gets confused and they get a chance to grab and shake before the snake works out which one to target. Either way I'm glad they haven't been bit, nor I have I.....

Yeh the little guys are superfast and bred for rodent extermination. Like Floyd Mayweather Jnr....its hard to hit a fast moving opponent.

All the same, its important to recognize the symptoms in an affected dog.

I found this story on the net, thought it pertinent.

Theodore

Our dog died from a snake bite the Saturday before last.

Our house backs onto the old Bulli mine area with areas of open ground and bush with tracks through it, that for over ten years I have run my dogs, certainly with problems related to ticks, although I have found that problem can be reduced by keeping clear of water courses, but without seeing any snakes let alone having problems with them. I have always figured that if I as a comparatively large stumbling mammal make enough noise will keep away - and it seemed to work. Beyond this approach, I remained very ignorant about snakes.

We are very sad that our dog has died and invariably blame ourselves on two counts: failure to take preventive action and failure to recognize the clear symptoms of snake bite to take appropriate action to save him. Theodore was about eighteen months old and very active. He was different from our other dogs in having a hound as distinct from a sheep dog breeding. I have two other kelpie dogs.

There is a sunny embankment, which an established track up it that is used as well by motor bikes, trail bikes and horses. I have been running up it for years with my dogs. It is a area of low scrub with plent of leaves and bark, perhaps the ideal place for a snake to build its nest and do a bit of sun bathing.

In retrospect you see all the warning signs that somehow failed to notice at the time. Theodore unlike usual was not the first up the hill. So I am at the top, recovering my wind with the other dogs, and then Theodore comes with the snake coiled in his mouth like a garden house. The stomach, I was three to four metres away, looked yellow. Theodore put the snake down when I told him too. I watched the snake, which was coloured a walnut brown and at least five to six feet , very slowly moved away, diving through a puddle of water and into the grass.

We did not recognize all the symptoms when with 10 to 15 minutes later Theodore was back in our yard repeatedly vomiting green bile and frothing at the mouth. He also sought to burrow under bushes and went under the house.

In our ignorance we did nothing. The snake bite was not obvious. I did not know what a snake bite looked like. We waited three hours before we took him to the vet, by which time he bent up when he tried to walk and his gums were swollen and purple. Theodore died on the way. I was conscious of his rapid heart beat and he struggled in my arms before he died.

I was shocked to be told that Theodore was dead when he arrived. The vet examined him and found three distinct gashes in a back paw in a light plug configuration. In my state of shock and inarticulateness, I had trouble describing the snake that I had seen, to the extent that the vet cast doubt on my story.

I was completely muddled. I could not make the connections, as obvious as they were to anyone with any experience or knowledge. I had a theory that Theodore must have eaten something. When I was told on Monday that the vets thought that it could have been a snake bite, the scales fell from my eyes. And on Tuesday, we were informed that it was a tiger snake.

No doubt a tale of stupidity told by an idiot. Some of us are ignorant of the dangers of the natural environment, and when something happens we do not observe it systematically.

None of this detracts from the grief and remorse we experience. To have saved Theodore we would have had to recognize the symptoms and to find the snake bite. In our environment that should have been common sense. So too it would have been better to avoid the problem, which means been alert to the danger.

You might perhaps treat this as a case study of people who live in an environment without understanding it, and then only learn after the event and live with recrimination. The other recourse of ignorance is simply to destroy the eco-system.

Contributed by Ian Westbrook, October 2000.

I cant go on an extended prospecting trip without my petrol powered axe.

mjwpow.jpg

Ofcourse i will never touch a living tree with it, but it makes light work of the dead ironbarks on the ground for the ultimate campfire....especially in winter!

The red ironbark (mugga) is the best burn for any campfire, even better than redgum.

I present to you, the campfire of awesomness!

nwaqzc.jpg

I don't know what area you intend to go or what company you keep. In Western Australia I've been pleasantly surprised by the Telstra coverage over a lot of the gold bearing areas.
However if you doubt you'll be within telephone range and you work alone I think a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) or EPIRB is essential. We have just thrown the old one away because the battery leaked but it was well out of date.
In WA we rarely venture far out of sight of the bus because most country can be driven over in a 4WD and by the time we've gone that far one of us is ready to put the kettle on.

I have an found the Oliver AT metal free Boots to be a good thing
1421184683_oliver_at_boots.png

Retail for about $140.00

These along with Gaiters keep the snakes from getting to you

Regards

Turps

Joao that is absolutley brilliant!!! I could see the development of the face through each drawing. I recognized Lisa by her eyes in the third drawing. The end result is just fabulous. You have a wonderful gift there Joao.
Lisa, please forgive me about talking about you, but Joao's sketch is fantastic!!
Cheers Monty :)

Monty said:
Joao that is absolutley brilliant!!! I could see the development of the face through each drawing. I recognized Lisa by her eyes in the third drawing. The end result is just fabulous. You have a wonderful gift there Joao.
Lisa, please forgive me about talking about you, but Joao's sketch is fantastic!!
Cheers Monty :)

Thank you Monty.

Really Lisa's eyes are beautiful!

Being female for me all of the obvious things we need for detecting
Snake kits
water, pick, I love my cc pick, tracker,and beacon locator

BUT THE ONE THING I WONT GO INTO THE BUSH WITHOUT ARE MY GAITERS I WEAR THEM EVEN IN THE WINTER

I have no fear of snakes when I have seen one I don't take fright,
gaiters are a must.
K-M

My wife tells me that "I can't live without her "

However she knows that Good coffee always comes first and last :D

KIM-MARGARET said:
Being female for me all of the obvious things we need for detecting
Snake kits
water, pick, I love my cc pick, tracker,and beacon locator

BUT THE ONE THING I WONT GO INTO THE BUSH WITHOUT ARE MY GAITERS I WEAR THEM EVEN IN THE WINTER

I have no fear of snakes when I have seen one I don't take fright,
gaiters are a must.
K-M

Most of the areas i detect in are heavily mineralized grounds containing little or no undergrowth in rather sparsely vegetated areas. These are also areas of little or no water in terms of rainfall, usually containing dry creek beds.....snakes like water nearby

And after all, I am swinging a large broomstick in front of me from side to side with big round swatter on the end of it.

It can depend on the type of ground, and the general area you are in which will increase the dangers accordingly, but yes you are right Kim.....its always better to be safe than sorry!

;)

Latest posts