What can you tell me about these bits?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for info on these relics.

A cricket buckle.
1400838111_image.jpg

1400838154_image.jpg

A button. Excelsior with three stars.
1400838229_image.jpg

And this bullet.
1400838281_image.jpg

Thanks in advance for any information.

the badge/buckle looks like a cricket flavour with the stumps and balls as you say. Cant help on the excelsior button ( maybe a store brand) or gauge on the bullet.

The button is a fairly common goldfields find there are hundreds of brands the most collectable are the ones with the local towns names on them, the cricket buckle is a great find im still to find a complete one and the bullet is a whopper wouldnt like to be on the ouch end of it

The bullet is hard to get a accurate scale but but a quick measure across the base and it all can be explained. 7.62mm across and it 30 cal (.303 .308 .30-06) 12.70mm across and it 50 cal. I would think from the fact it looks to be about 30- 40 mm long give or take it would be 30 cal

Military style full metal jacket 30 caliber projectile. Has not been fired from rifle with tubular style magazine (Winchester 30 30 or similar). It was most likely fired in to the air as projectile appears to be undamaged.
Karl

Thanks guys,
I love finding old bullets although I don't know much about them.

Here's a photo of my bullets and shells, I have found heaps more of those little guys, most of them have a "u" on the base, I have also found a ton of those round shotgun looking shells, most of them I have identified as being made by "Eley Bros London" some of them are the paper type.
The shell on the left (.303?) was made at Hendon small arms in 1944.

I also found a couple of those old flint lock shells with the little tube thing sticking out, it was my first day detecting and my lack of knowledge and inexperience I stupidly tossed them away.

1401157904_image.jpg

I love learning all this stuff, so thanks so much for the time you guys take to share your knowledge with others.

Bullets shells and cartridges are great to find, considering the traceability of the manufacturer, place of manufacture, and the date. Sometimes you tend to find them in the strangest of places. :)

The top left hand row of 6 shells look to me to be .22 "Pee Rifle" Shells.
Half the lenght of a standard .22.
If I remember correctly they were used in times of hard need as every thing was rationed.
Correct me if I am wrong. :)

"old flint lock shells with the little tube thing sticking out" I think these are called "pinfire" cartridges, essentially the pin rests on a small percussion cap in the base of the shell. An external hammer would strike down onto the pin and Blamo!

Robert Le Mal said:
"old flint lock shells with the little tube thing sticking out" I think these are called "pinfire" cartridges, essentially the pin rests on a small percussion cap in the base of the shell. An external hammer would strike down onto the pin and Blamo!

My bad, I did mean "pinfire" just had Flint lock on the brain.

Cheers.

Latest posts