wet prospecting around cattle farmers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just a reminder to anyone who didnt spend much time on farms to be vigilant and mindful when prospecting around creeks or rivers where cattle are watering

I was at a river yesterday where there were small puddles of water intermittently along 10 km of a creek.

There were spots i wanted to setup a highbanker or sluice but a local farmer had brought his cattle down there to graze on what little grass remained and drink from the creek so i didnt entertain the concept of wet prospecting there.

I went for a drive and found other spots with no cattle around , with good crevices and gold catch zones and a bit of a pool that i could pump out of and recirculate the water back into the same hole.

there was also a small hole next to this pond so i set up the highbanker so it would drain the outlet wash into this small hole first and settle out , then drain back down into the main pool.

I had a bit of erosion cloth i could have put on the end of the sluice to filter a bit more but didnt need it on this occasion.

We have to remember that with this drought in some places the farmers are doing it tough for feed and water so modify your activities accordingly , their cattle are worth more than the gold in our sluice.

Nice one Headsup.
We hear and see too many tales of people leaving a mess or not caring about others that may use the creeks we prospect in.
Good on ya for being a thoughtful, caring kind of guy.
We need more like you.

Ramjet

Ramjet said:
Nice one Headsup.
We hear and see too many tales of people leaving a mess or not caring about others that may use the creeks we prospect in.
Good on ya for being a thoughtful, caring kind of guy.
We need more like you.

Ramjet

thanks Rod but its just an act , i once saw somebody being thoughtful and caring so i just copied off them as a way to try and pick up wimin

:p

nah seriously , we have to consider life in other peoples shoes now and then

Good on ya HeadsUp, I've seen and heard of the damage done by prospectors and shooters who have no respect for the farmer. Things like cutting fences, not shutting gates ( the simple rule is that you leave gates as you find them), chasing cattle (sometimes they will crash through fences when chased), using watering troughs for panning or having a bath in, leaving rubbish ect. People wonder why they aren't allowed on the properties.
:) Mick

This is the type of behaviour that will ensure prospecting will still be available for our grandkids!!!!

Well done Headsup

If people bring pets to farm land rivers/creeks, be carefull of stagnant water, also farmerss often use chemicals for which we dont go into right now but leach into the creek/river. Little bugger wont be happy drinking the wrong water

Great post Headsup, nice ideas on how to protect the environment there and consider our fellow land users. The enviro mat is a great idea, you should have take a photo of your set up so the greenies and naysayers can see that it is not the conscientious prospectors doing the damage.

Cheers, Tone

Latest posts