wet ground and detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardymoose .. sorry, I forgot to mention what I said in my previous post is when using a mono coils, at the last resort you maybe in a situation that warrents the use of a Double D coil.

Everyone let me first say a big thankyou for all the great comments and suggestions
I thought I had tried everything but I will revisit everyone's suggestions when I am out in the gold fields next
its interesting when you are at home everything seems to make sense but once you're out in the gold fields everything seems to go out the door so to speak
I like the fact that there is so much excellent advice on this forum and hope everyone gets plenty of yella, you deserve it
DW I liked your suggestion take the rock in hand and approach the coil side on. not above the coil or below it but on the same plane as the coil.... if it is a hot rock it will not make a sound, if it is a metal it will sound the same as it would if you passed the coil over it.
I will try that one next time I come across a potential hot rock, and I like your suggestion The easy way to establish that it is a false / unwanted signal can be done by visually pinpointing the reactive spot, change your postion and approach from the opposite direction, and again from the other 2 sides .. call it North South East West if you get a repeatable signal from all direction over the exact same visual pinpointed spot >> DIG .. if not continue walking.
thanks again hope to be out in the golden triangle again in the next couple of weeks, will let you all know how I went

Regards
Marxdymoose :)

Be careful with the north south, east west thing. I have often got one way signals that ended up being nuggets. The key thing to listen for is repeatable and consitent. Doesn't matter if it isnt beeping the same from every direction.

Nenad

PhaseTech... I must admit you got me there... I did get fooled once, I had a firm signal in one direction only, two other directions gave a very dimished sound and the fourth direction you could not separate it from the fresh hold signal... I continued on my way and left it in situ ... the next day the ground was drier, I was working the same area, just for the hell of it (still learning) I gave it another look, it didn't react any different but something made me dig it .... turned out to be a flat thin 0.1 sub gramer (sunbaker) which I conclude was on its edge at the time of sweeping the coil over it.
After that experience I have possibly tested my method 10 times since to never uncover anything besides a streak of mineralised ground.

I suppose we have to fall back on the rule of if in doubt .. dig it... and learn.

Peter.

I read somewhere that the signal doesn't have to be loud, just obvious and I suppose that is what I base my detecting on if its obvious then dig it unless you can kick it away
It seems though that this weather sure does give off more false signals though
I mentioned previously I have never found anything larger than 1.8 grams, perhaps having been in fine gold 95% of that time is the reason why
It sure makes you think this gold detecting thing. I think I am starting to get analysis paralysis!

Mardymoose 8)

Gday Old hand,

I have been using a variety of coils an 8x6NF, 11 inch minelab,17x11 NF and 16" NF however my 17x11 is my go to coil
btw I also recently bought a 18" tarantulla coil but cant get that one quiet at all
So you see I have a few coils but really the 11" mono and 17x11 NF are my main coils
mardymoose

the 17x 11 is new and the 18" is a PM tarantulla coil.
I tried the Tarantulla 2 weeks ago but it just wouldn't settle down
I have learnt since then that it would be wiser to run it in normal or enhance with lower gain settings
Will have to give that a go when I'm in the golden triangle again (hopefully in a few weeks)

Yes John,
I tend to do the same, however it was on ebay and a really good price so I thought I would give it a go
I'm hoping it will be a good bigger coil to have in my arsenal
Only time will tell
regards Mardy

Mardy I have been thinking about it over night ,on the ground where the 18 is noisy try the 17 on it and see what happens,if they are both noisy then I would say noisy ground =alter the detector to suit the conditions. If the 17 is not noisy that may mean that the 18 is a bit more sensitive and you will have to back of some of your settings . If that does not help just pm me regards john :)

John ,thanks for the advice I will give it a go when I'm up in about a weeks time
looking forward to feelin it again, love that golden triangle
how lucky are those of us who live within a couple hours of the triangle
I will pm you if it doesn't help ,thanks John
regards Mardy

Latest posts