Wenlock / Batavia Goldfields information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will be spending 5 or 6 months in Weipa working this year and was wondering if anyone had spent any time prospecting in the Wenlock area. There was some activity there back in the day and because of the remoteness I think it's worth some investigation. The builder I work for has put some time into studying maps and archives of the place and has come up with some prospects but any extra info would be great. Cheers, Rick. A couple of spots to mention are Iguana Mountain and Chockablock Creek.

From QGS:

The first European settlement in the area was by James Burne who took up Batavia Downs in 1882. An official Government survey of runs established in the Cape area was conducted by J.T. Embley in 1885-86. In 1892 gold was discovered on the upper Wenlock River by William Baird and the 'Batavia Gold Field' produced the first rush on the Peninsula. Baird was speared by Aborigines in the area in 1896 and his grave remains at Bairdsville, a ghost town near where the Portlands Roads Road now crosses the Wenlock River. Gold was also discovered at Hayes Creek in 1903, Plutoville in 1911 and Iron Range in 1934. All were relatively small and short lived fields.

The Plutoville field is interesting in that it was found by an Aboriginal by the name of Pluto who was working around the Mien Telegraph Station. Pluto and a mate were said to have won 213 ounces of nuggets from the find. Pluto's wife Kitty found the Lower Camp field, 5 km to the north-east of Plutoville in 1915. This proved to be the richest find on the Wenlock field. It is said to be the only gold field in Queensland to have been found by a woman.

A quick read....:

http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/assets/geoscience-pdf/farnorth_bull135.pdf

More info mate. There's nothing over Weipa way, its all back toward Lockhart.

1364707020_wenlock.jpg

Also from IRTM:

1364706950_wenlock1.jpg

1364706975_wenlock2.jpg

Hi my name is brad and i just got to weipa a week ago. Just wondering if you had made it to the wenlock area yet. I am working for goodline and i stay at the spq . I have no car and i nothing to do on weekends ecept getting smashed by the midges

Still in Weipa Brad ? I might be heading over to the Wenlock after I do some work on the car.

Sorry Guys only just read these posts. Thanks GM for the maps. We will get over to there at some stage while we are in the area. Brad I am back up in June will pm you, aren't the sandies friendly. :D

hi kemjak, i find if i lock meself in me room i can avoid the midgies. i have heard a few romours that some one found 3 nuggets at the wenlock area weighing up to 1.5 ounces total . so there must be a little bit left to keep a few gold fevers running . and also a few mayjor swimming areas have been known to have little flecks here and there on the way up to the tip . will look foward to meeting u in june take care n dee u then hopfuly with an X marks the spot lol

cheers brad

Hi Folks,

Resurrecting an old thread!

The missus and I are heading north up the cape predominantly to do some fishing having spent the last couple of months Golding out around Georgetown.
We were hoping to spend a few days having a look at some of the old goldfields.

Does anyone know what the go is around the Wenlock/Batavia Goldfields area?

It was suggested to us that it probably belongs to Cookshire council and that lots of people camp and detect there so just go for it!!!

Would rather do the right thing and not have to be worrying every time we heard a vehicle passing.

Any info would be much appreciated .

Cheers

Den & Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all

I am looking at travelling to Batavia goldfields in fnq, I have a few pans and plan on doing regular trips there, just seeing if anyone else has done and prospecting there and info would be great thanks.

Wow very impressive thanks for sharing , did you ever happen to do anything around archer river way ? And thanks jaros

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=178352#p178352

Pedro the Gold said:
Wenlock/Batavia Goldfields ........... My first gold stompin' grounds from back in my Weipa days .

Yes, you can 'free camp' there ......... and they are relatively easy to access.

After you cross the Archer River, (Stop for an Archer Burgher there, they're quite famous - and filling !)
turn right at the Lockhart Road turn-off [heading towards the East Coast] travel for about 18 -20 ks till you hit the Wenlock River.
This road is frequently graded as it is the main access route to the Lockhart River community
50 meters or so up over the crossing ..... immediately turn left, follow any of those tracks and you're there !!

Tracks are sometimes a bit rough, especially after the Wets but 'drive to the conditions' and you'll be OK.

Alternatively, take the second left turn-off (under one k from the crossing) follow for around 2 k's will take you past heaps
of diggings, shafts (some very deep!) and hills 'n gullies ..................

Some great level camping spots there, reasonably secluded, apart from the occasional but rare visits of local hunters from Weipa and the Archer areas.
Cattle sometimes also wander through from closer properties, brumbies, marsupials galore, echidnas, heaps of birdlife .................
........... and wild-eyed prospectors.
Rarely see snakes, sometimes scorpions (watch for them under rocks and dead branches) and the inevitable face-clinging Golden Orb spideys !

You can drive back down to the river crossing for a wash 'n a splash and fill the water tanks - but boil before drinking any.

If you wander from camp on foot when you're prospecting - mark your camp and take your GPS - getting lost there will give you anguish !

After the Archer River Roadhouse, they ain't nuffin' there till Weipa, 180 k's away.

Trust this helps ........ and your gold will be 'hard won' ...... but the trip will be great !

Jesse beck said:
Wow very impressive thanks for sharing , did you ever happen to do anything around archer river way ? And thanks jaros
Never did any sampling around archer river so don't know.

I used to drive from Weipa to coen and crevice in the river. Id camp overnight then drive back the next day. Generally about 2 1/2 hours one way. I would get some very small garnets ( I think ) in the pan as well. Good place to camp just north of the town.

Thanks for that info nucopia that helps a lot , and thats some nice gold kemjak I had always looked at that river system north of coen frequently stop there on my way to cairns and back will deffently be stopping in for a prospect , greatly appreciate you sharing the info thanks a lot going to wenlock Thursday will let you know how I go

Hi
Just chasing some info if anyone has any , are you allowed to detect Wenlock Goldfields??
I can't find anything saying you can't but might be wrong
Thanks heaps
Gary :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

Latest posts