Well done and thank you Yobskin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bit over a year ago, I stumbled into this hobby after a day out at the (great) Sovereign Hill in Ballarat (a truely great tourist and educational attraction).

A bit of panning for gold at the creek in Sovereign Hill got me started (hooked more like it).

Since then I have ramped up and now own several pans and sieves, several sluices, a highbanker and a detector...all of which get used as i get to dig at least once a week..sometimes, several times a week.

In just over a year I now sit at 9.4grams...not much by any stretch.... but pretty good for a Qlder... where we have very limited access to legal fossicking areas and limits on how we go about our hobby..governed by a dedicated Fossicking Act and Regulations.

Dr Google has been a great friend and a good method of research...but in the end, success and maintaining interest comes from learning offered by others.

I want to thank a bloke called Yobskin (a member of this forum and a well known identity with fossickers in SE Qld).

Since I first met him a bit on a year ago, he took time out with me to share his knowledge, show me some great techniques....offer some critique...constantly offer encouragement...tell some great stories...offer a level of honesty, openness and warmth that is rare...let me see how great a Dad he is to his two kids and has put up with some shite from me that was just part of doing what we do.

Not only has he done all this for me...I have seen him do the same for many, many others...all newbies to a hobby that requires much learning.

Yobskin is an outstanding teacher and mentor. He has earned a reputation for helping everyone no matter their circumstance, background or views and is a 'go to' guy around the Gympie area and specifically Deep Creek Fossicking Area.

I know that we have 'find of the month' and 'coin of the month'....if we had 'member of the year', Yobskin would secure my vote.

I am sure there a a bunch of other PA members who 'fit the bill' I have described of Yobskin.

For all of you and particularly Yobskin...thanks mate !!!

I would not be doing this without your help and continued support.

That's a nice post mate. I don't think it's possible to spend any amount of time on PA and not learn something...but that's because of good blokes like Yobskin who are willing to share knowledge and help. Onya Yobskin! :Y:

Well said , Mike. I know a bloke down here called 7.62 Marksman..he is similarly endowed with the qualities you outlined...another is Tathradj...(notice I got the spelling right this time.) ]:D These are blokes I classify as being of the ( True Blue)...There are none finer and they lift one's spirit when your in their company.! :cool: Rossco.

reefer said:
Well said , Mike. I know a bloke down here called 7.62 Marksman..he is similarly endowed with the qualities you outlined...another is Tathradj...(notice I got the spelling right this time.) ]:D These are blokes I classify as being of the ( True Blue)...There are none finer and they lift one's spirit when your in their company.! :cool: Rossco.

Rossco, it's great to hear about others and is these kind of blokes that make this hobby educational and entertaining.

I can only hope to run into 7.62 Marksman and Tathradj in the field one day.

cheers
Mike

This is a great thread :Y: commending those that are exceptional without trying to be. Just good people being themselves :Y: :). If I never joined this forum (it's the only 1 I'm interested in) I'd be none the wiser glad I did join. Thanks to all of you who care enough to help others beyond a question.

Definitely a lot of good members here offering a lot of good information. People helping people, the way it should be.

Latest posts