Weekend trip to Tuena

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyP

Anthony
Reaction score
Had a great weekend camping with my 3 Boys at Tuena over the weekend. left the highbanker at home so we just had a dig and a pan at the Mt Costigan bridge. the result was my 7 year old panned his first gold! One very happy boy off to school today with about 10 flakes in a vial for his news day :)
few storms about so we booked the cricked shed and had a great night there.
We also had the pleasure of meeting Wal and Liz and though our meeting was short both offered great advice for me as a beginner. Very much appreciated. I'm def keen to get along for the Anzac weekend and looking forward to meeting other forum members.

hey mate , things didn't eventuate at Goulburn and i'm currently at Mittagong so its not too bad to get out for a dig. i'm keen to get up to Tuena again before the long weekend so if you are heading that way give us a shout.

AnthonyP said:
Had a great weekend camping with my 3 Boys at Tuena over the weekend. left the highbanker at home so we just had a dig and a pan at the Mt Costigan bridge. the result was my 7 year old panned his first gold! One very happy boy off to school today with about 10 flakes in a vial for his news day :)
few storms about so we booked the cricked shed and had a great night there.
We also had the pleasure of meeting Wal and Liz and though our meeting was short both offered great advice for me as a beginner. Very much appreciated. I'm def keen to get along for the Anzac weekend and looking forward to meeting other forum members.

Anthony this is great to hear. I'm looking to bond with my 14 year old son with this gold stuff. Right now when I mention prospecting...I get the roll of the eyes.

We are going to the Gold ThemePark in Mogo shortly then we'll head up to Tuena as that seems to be the closest to us. Again...very happy to you had a good time with your boys.

Bill

G'day Digginholes and Gold Billyen ,
mate i'm unfamiliar with the Mittagong area but i'd be happy if anyone had any advice :}

GoldBillyen , I reckon the first time your'e young bloke finds a bit of colour he will change his tune haha , my boys are younger but jeez as soon as we saw the tiniest flakes it was all go! at least you can get to spend a bit of time out in the bush hey.

I dont know of any areas around here and down the street at mittagong that arnt in restricted areas or private land

Mate I couldnt find any areas down there either.. Read a lot about it but it all says the same thing.... It's all locked up under water catchment with big big penalties but that don't mean a case of beer won't put you on a private block.. Good luck mate

AnthonyP said:
G'day Digginholes and Gold Billyen ,
mate i'm unfamiliar with the Mittagong area but i'd be happy if anyone had any advice :}

GoldBillyen , I reckon the first time your'e young bloke finds a bit of colour he will change his tune haha , my boys are younger but jeez as soon as we saw the tiniest flakes it was all go! at least you can get to spend a bit of time out in the bush hey.

Thanks for that...I'm seriously thinking about buying a small nugget and putting it in to get him hooked. "Look...that worth $50 and took you 15 minutes!" The wheel will start to role then. :)

Ha ha Anthony my first time out u found a nice little sapphire then grabbed a bucket of gravel to take home then thought I'd do one more pan got down to a tiny bit of black sand and pretty much gave up went home put the saphire in my pan with a bit of dirt gave it to my litte girl, she pans it and says dad I found gold.
I hadent found any gold all day and it was the only piece in the dirt I bought home and there it was in her very first ever pan :)
To this day it's the best bit we have
P.s she also found the saphire

Hi Guys
New at detecting
I see you guys metion the area Tuena.
Is it a good day to go for 1 day. I would like to take my kids there for the day to have a little fun
Is there a certain area to go

Thanks
Shane

At the moment its not real kid friendly , the creek has stopped running so all you will find is stagnant pools of oil slick water. Tuena is a great place for kids when the waters nice for swimming and canoeing etc . This can change with some good rain so check perhaps with the local store on how the water is before u head out.
But if you are happy for them to tag around with you detecting the creek the really low water has exposed some areas worth a try , and most of the non creek area is on private land .

Latest posts