Weekend Prospector - Yarra River, Warburton. Legal?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maxwell4 said:
Perhaps all we need here are some facts and a lot less speculation. Surely our governing body would be onto this and clear it up for all. We certainly don't need to be hanging anyone, not yet anyway.
Cheers
Bob

Quite right, just waiting on Parks Vic to get back to me on the Yarra "rules".
Also worth mentioning that AB has indicated filming took place in many locations so he may not have been in the Yarra at all, have to revisit the show to see whether he was misleading his viewers or not, I certainly got the impression he was talking up Yarra R.

Initial response from Parks Vic ....... still waiting for further info.

Hi tom,

Thanks for your email, I have forward it to the Area Chief Ranger for her to investigate and reply back to you.

Cheers
Murray Williams
Customer Service Officer, Information Centre
T 13 1963 I E [email protected]
Parks Victoria
Level 10, 535 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Just watched the first episode. My question is on the use of power tools. ie. drilling & blasting. Is this legal in VIC. ???

Well Parks Victoria have provided an answer ..... well sort of anyway.

Definitely NO prospecting in the Yarra upstream of Plenty River junction, but CAN prospect in a couple of areas at 3 creeks in Warrandyte State Park, see response -------

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your email. It is a bit frustrating when media outlets get it wrong.
You are correct that there is no permitted prospecting in the Yarra River where it flows through the Warrandyte State Park.

However, prospecting is permitted in three locations in the Warrandyte State Park this is in particular sections of the Andersons Creek, Jumping Creek and Stoney Creek.

Regards
Faye

Sent: Monday, 21 September 2020 10:27 AM
To: Faye Williams <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: Prospecting Yarra River/Warrandyte State Park

I've asked for further info on which particular areas, we'll wait and see and Ill post it if they can provide it.
As previously stated AB did state (on FB page) that filming was done in a few different areas ..... guess he just didn't mention they were not in the Yarra ..... never let the truth get in the way of good TV.
Cheers T.

Oh, In regard to blasting/explosives mentioned by Dave ..... no idea but assume if you had proper license/permits/land ownership then probably OK. Sure someone more qualified can give correct advice.

Just finished a bit of a search in Goldfields Guide ... gives a good explanation why you can detect in Reedy Creek even though it's on the "exempted rivers" list ....... and this little snippet on Andersons Creek....

ANDERSONS CREEK
You are allowed to prospect in the bed of Andersons Creek off Gold Memorial Road within the Warrandyte State Park.
Resources for gold prospecting in Andersons Creek
Warrandyte State Park - Gold Heritage Walk park notes

Dave law said:
It would be good if he/ the producers explained the legalities so novices dont unintentionally break the rules.

He claims that if he had to explain legalities during the program it would take up too much time explaining them all.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Dave law said:
It would be good if he/ the producers explained the legalities so novices dont unintentionally break the rules.

He claims that if he had to explain legalities during the program it would take up too much time explaining them all.
Cheers T.
Sounds like a bit of a cop out. They could explain the legalities of the particular area/river as he going. eg. you can only pan/ prospect in certain areas of the Yarra. Outlining where & what activities are legal. Permits required etc Not let novices think the whole river system is open slather. I am not asking for a in-depth explanation of the rules. Cheers.

Im sort of hopng that the weekend prospector has another purpose for making prospecting videos in what is reportedly a no go areas.
We should probably start a "go.fund me" page to help with any legal costs that may arise.
After all, wouldn't we all like access to more gold prospecting areas. I think the cleaver ones amoungst us can work out what Im saying without me actually spelling it out. :cool:
I should add that the above is purely speculation on my part. I have no personal connection with the Weekend Prospector.

Latest posts