Wee Jasper Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headed out to Wee Jasper today with my kids.

Totally overgrown with blackberries, choking every creek.

I checked out the area people normally fossick in, the gate is open but area is marked as closed for fossicking unlesd they have permission from the lessee.

People are still digging in there despite that, unless they have permission. Including some big holes right where the creek crossing is which looks pretty fresh including fresh boot marks around it too.

Some pics of the blackberry situation at Wee Jasper.

1492842579_2017-04-22-16-27-35.jpg

1492842632_2017-04-22-16-26-21.jpg

1492842679_2017-04-22-16-27-10.jpg

1492842752_2017-04-22-16-26-49.jpg

It was horrible mate. You would have to spend hours clearing an area just to be able to work without shredding yourself!

Could anyone tell me what wee jasper road is like please. I'm thinking of heading that way, but I'm driving a motorhome and I don't want to get stuck. Thanks.

I haven't been since last year (didn't find anything) but there was this road that had a lot of corrugations on it. It was dry and not boggy, so if you're not worried about your car being rattled, it's all good.

Watch out for blackberries! I couldn't get off the beaten track to work virgin ground such as other places.
My spot was no good, so ask someone else were to go as it will be a lot better there :D
By the way, I went to Tumbarumba a few weeks ago and found a lot of small sapphires. 1 might cut if I'm lucky :D - Jack

Hi Shaz, was out that way today. A campervan would go fine. A medium motorhome would be passable. A large motorhome would be a crap-shoot at best. There are lots of leaner trees and hanging branches. I used to cruise around in a 30' footer and wouldn't take it on the Wee Jasper Road. The main problem you could run into, possibly even on weekends and holidays, is log truck traffic. Running into oncoming traffic in anything larger than a campervan could require one party or the other to back into a turnout along much of the road. Quite a few blind corners from Wee Jasper up to the flatter ground. Good luck if you go that way. Beautiful drive though!

Cheers,
Bryan

Latest posts