We now live in a mad "World"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a mad gardener I am always looking for different trees for the garden.Well I just showed my daughter a photo of a tree called "Eskimo Sunset",thats "Racist"
what the hell do you mean,well they have got change the name of Eskimo Pie icecream because it is deemed racist,where the hell is this madness going to end.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/eskimo-pie-rename-derogatory-brand

I remember Stan Freeburg singing the song "old man river"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=stan+freeberg+old+man+river

thedigger said:
As a mad gardener I am always looking for different trees for the garden.Well I just showed my daughter a photo of a tree called "Eskimo Sunset",thats "Racist"
what the hell do you mean,well they have got change the name of Eskimo Pie icecream because it is deemed racist,where the hell is this madness going to end.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/eskimo-pie-rename-derogatory-brand

I remember Stan Freeburg singing the song "old man river"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=stan+freeberg+old+man+river

Still be allowed to have a Golden Gaytime though....

Fair point though mate, Im all for cultural sensitivity but the PC creep of what you can and cant say and redefining of expression has a full head of steam up. Its a Slippery slope.

And now peoples livlihoods are being destroyed because of it, that when the line has come back too far

I have to admit, the PC thing can be taken to ridiculous lengths, and it seems no matter how hard we all try we all manage to trip ourselves up sometimes and offend someone.

There was an article recently in the news regarding the police arrest of an Aboriginal man, who as it seemed by the CCTV footage was rather roughly treated by the arresting police officers. The judge when viewing the footage was scathing of the police, and said they didn't show enough care when they dragged him from the "Paddy Wagon". :awful: Numerous times through the reporting there was reference to the Paddy Wagon. There are groups trying to pressure the makers of Coon cheese to change it's name. One side says it was named after a Mr. Coon who invented the Cooning process of quickly maturing cheese, the other side says it was named Coon because it used to be sold wrapped in black cloth or wax, whereas the makers insist it was actually sold in red wrapping- Heaven forbid, don't call it Redskin cheese!! :eek:

I'm all for equality and respect, but some things just seem ridiculous. Do we call the cockpit of an aircraft a Box office instead, when it has a female pilot?

As OldGT once said- "If you look for snakes, you'll find snakes"

The Man fern must of been called that by a bloke name Dick who had a partner named Sonia both of them cane from Antarctica

Clamsonia from Antarctica came later when Dick discovered what a cheater Sonia is :D

I will amit I do like the scientific name of the plant

But I have always known it to be a Man fern

Like hoop petticoat is just another name for miniature daffodils in my books :D

Goody :)

I spent some time with aboriginal people who were happy to call a black boy plant a 'black boy'.

Racist turds.. :playful:

Is it still alright to call a sturt pea a 'sturt pea'?

1592890624_sturt_pea..jpg

SWright said:
In South Africa we went through a phase where you could not order a Black or White coffee. You had to order one With Milk or Without Milk.

Seems extreme. Although, I do remember Cape Town as a kid in 1970. Huge public toilet block, One side divided into white women/Black women, the other side Black men/ White Men. And then a pedestrian bridge divided down the middle with chainwire, for blacks one side and whites the other. I guess it may take a few years before people aren't so sensitive.

sturt pea a 'sturt pea'?

Means you can no longer pee on Sturt :D

So many thing's are going to change in this world

Goody

Deepseeker said:
SWright said:
In South Africa we went through a phase where you could not order a Black or White coffee. You had to order one With Milk or Without Milk.

Seems extreme. Although, I do remember Cape Town as a kid in 1970. Huge public toilet block, One side divided into white women/Black women, the other side Black men/ White Men. And then a pedestrian bridge divided down the middle with chainwire, for blacks one side and whites the other. I guess it may take a few years before people aren't so sensitive.
How about take some of your own advice Deepseeker, in your own words "Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended" ;)

Latest posts