We are custodians of our gold fields history.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Australia has had, and still has a very rich history of gold prospecting and mining in all of its diverse forms since the early 1850s.
Whether you detect, pan, sluice, high bank, dry blow, crevice or use the Rockin Yobskin cradle :D , or hold a mining lease or work for one of the company mines, we all have a great responsibility to care for and about the historic and natural environment we love to play in.
I freely admit I'm both a lover of our history and our bush and utterly respect both.
I'm one of those nutters who love to go underground and marvel at the skills of prospectors from 150 years ago ie: beautifully cut adits/tunnels, amazing timber work and just seeing their craftsmanship which can still be seen all these years later.
Sometimes I'm saddened by the selfish and wanton destruction of some of our heritage, both above and below ground by the minority who are in pursuit of the yellow stuff or needlessly take artifacts of little or no monetary value just because they can.
Our generation are the custodians of our golden heritage and I believe its good for us all to be reminded of this from time to time.
Let us all enjoy our pass time and take care of our history and our bush so that we can continue to pursue our hobbie/passion and that other generations get to do the same.
You only have to look at some of the amazing photo's that have been posted in various sections of the forum such as recent pics sent in by SCROUNGER of old machinery and tools etc, or pics from dean65 and hunting the yellow of underground systems, just to name a few to appreciate whats still out there.
So lets enjoy and take care of this wild country of ours with its deserts, rivers and streams and enjoy the bush and all our history as well, after all, we are the custodians.
Cheers Steve :)

Yes NeoGeo,
If we respect ourselves we will also respect each other and our surrounds and its really worth it in the long run.

Jembaicumbene said:
Top post Steve, with an important message to all I feel.

Thanks Jenbaicumbene, it's great to have like minded people caring for our present and the next generations future.
Cheers Steve

I agree in full, but not just our Gold Fields but many other places as well.

But I also think the following says a lot.

1444178094_20606_1096158137091341_309369098420080975_n.jpg

1444178094_10858468_983701285003694_7214000398388538307_n.jpg

Thanks BB,
I guess that it's only what most of us do and think anyway, but I have wanted to put it out there for those who may not have considered it before.
Cheers Steve

I love to find historic items and see them where they were once last laid by the miners and to be kept there as well.

I dream of going down a shaft and seeing wheel barrows and hand tools.

Its like limestone formations of stalactites and stalagmites, beautiful to look at, but as soon as they are touched, they fade away fast for no one to admire.

Indeed great post.

Hey there AR,
Thanks for your enthusiasm and love of history.
If your ever in the Ballarat area pm me and I will show you some of the sites above and below ground if I'm free.
Thanks again.
Cheers Steve :D

Latest posts