Water in creeks/rivers in Victoria?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TenOunce Tone said:
Well my cousins down south, we are about to get our share of rainfor the year in a couple of days, Cyclone Ita is bearing down on us and due to hit Friday a bit North of here, it is going to bring a heap of rain and delay the start of the northern season by a few weeks to say the least.

If I could send it down your way I would, I just hope the rain keeps heading west and gives the farmers in the true outback a good soaking. God knows they need it.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/288/1397037722_shgmsgita.jpg

This should give an idea of the impact for those who are not sure on what it means when a cyclone of this size hits our region.

The red is the predicted path, the yellow is the Palmer and Hodgkinson areas and other gold areas, the blue is the part that will be flooded for a few weeks

Cheers, Tone
good luck today Tone..... supposed to be cat 4 mate batten down the hatches and pick all your tomatoes early mate

im spiritualy sending as much high country rain as I can your way fella's lol. you all want creeks to rise while I want it to fall! :D

Beechworth/eldorado - reedy creek has plenty of water, good flow of water over the falls, and good flow over rock bars between falls and eldorado - enough to run a river sluice. - I was there for last three days and left yesterday (rained all day)

Great news for everyone this week.

The rain has fallen consistently for days and looks like we are in for a few more days.

Shame I finish my holidays this week.

Hope there has been a even fall across Victoria so we can all get out and get some yellow stuff.

It's official, every creek and gully I wanted water in has it flowing most not enough to move much around but more rain on it's way. Good times.

There's always flowing water and gold in Hoddles Creek. If anyone wants to go sometime let me know.

I will actually be in Sydney the Friday to the Monday. Sorry but after the 9th of May I'll be living in Seville East which is 10 mins max to Hoddles because I just bought a house out there.

Jonhuber4 said:
I will actually be in Sydney the Friday to the Monday. Sorry but after the 9th of May I'll be living in Seville East which is 10 mins max to Hoddles because I just bought a house out there.

Cool. We can always catch up than. I live about 45 minutes away. :)

Explored Slaty Creek Creswick today. Not a drop of water in the creek despite all the rain.

dry as a dead dingoes donga....... if i remember correctly think slaty didn't run last year until early September

During the gold rush there must have been far greater rainfall than what we have today.

that may be true but creswick has always been seasonal, if you study records of mining in the creswick area you'll find that most work was done in preparation for the rain. there is literally a labyrinth of water holding dams, processing channels, pools and races running through this area. The companies who invested in water supply did quite well in the creswick and Daylesford area during the gold rush which often dried up.
Sluicing was only done in quick short bursts during wet periods and more often than not water was shipped in to fill the upwards holding dams. Most of the material was processed by puddler's which required far less water to operate and you can find these literally everywhere in creswick.

Interesting fact : The first was water transfer pipe for mining was pioneered over slaty creek actually it was tarred paper wrapped in cloth and tarred again.

G0lddigg@ said:
that may be true but creswick has always been seasonal, if you study records of mining in the creswick area you'll find that most work was done in preparation for the rain. there is literally a labyrinth of water holding dams, processing channels, pools and races running through this area. The companies who invested in water supply did quite well in the creswick and Daylesford area during the gold rush which often dried up.
Sluicing was only done in quick short bursts during wet periods and more often than not water was shipped in to fill the upwards holding dams. Most of the material was processed by puddler's which required far less water to operate and you can find these literally everywhere in creswick.

Interesting fact : The first was water transfer pipe for mining was pioneered over slaty creek actually it was tarred paper wrapped in cloth and tarred again.

same thing where I am mate, daming and supplying water to miners via water races in 1868 was charged at 3 pounds per week. :cool:

Slaty should be good after any rain BUT the dams and holdings areas above it get the majority of the rains first. The topography shows it is an excellent drainage area but above it - well we all know the reasons.

1397606928_aslaty_1.gif

1397606943_aslaty2.gif

spot on loamer, this map shows quite a few of the holding dams on the way in to gullies, the water flows in from the east from cotties and slaty catchment and heads west before moving north towards st georges Lake and heads NW to Clunes. .

A lot of people think mopoke is a creek but its just a gully that has a holding dam at its head, during long periods of rain it flows but never more than a few weeks of the year.

1397608419_creswick_map.jpg

My first ever panning was Slaty in 1971 with my Pop. Got some nice colour too and as a kid fell in love with the whole thing - hooked ever since. Slaty has been very kind to me over the years and I rate the Creswick area as one of my most favourite detecting places. Up around Dunolly - I just don't bother - the topography/geology is just so different and the only time the old metal pan gets a run anymore is dollying up quartz species. Plus there is bugger all water.

thats awesome, i bet you saw some nice pieces coming out then :lol: hows that read lead.... so much colour so light i remember my first proper highbanking session there i covered the whole base of the pan with flat gold. got home and weighed it came in under 2 grams still happy but you'd swear it was 7.

still easy to pick up the odd picker if you know where to look

loamer said:
My first ever panning was Slaty in 1971 with my Pop. Got some nice colour too and as a kid fell in love with the whole thing - hooked ever since. Slaty has been very kind to me over the years and I rate the Creswick area as one of my most favourite detecting places.

Great share Loamer, It's my 'go to' place when I need to get away and, despite just shovel and pan still manage to pull colour on every trip (and I'm a lousy panner).
Amazing to think how many times the creek bed must have been turned upside down over those years yet a bit of colour still always manges to find its way there ......
Alays at least a couple of campers there every weekend, hate to think how crowded it will get over the easter and ANZAC day weekends ..... "camping spot rage".
Cheers Tom

Latest posts